led shake torch

Has any1 got these torches that last this long.

• Total voters

bundyrum

Newly Enlightened
Has any1 heard about the new shake torch that last 2 hours ..no batteries no bulb.6 year warranty. Works over 100 metres underwater.:thanks: floats.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Junk. A waste of money, strictly for the gullible/flashlight-illiterate public.

FlashlightReviews did give the AIT series decent reviews, but they're the top-of-the-line of this type. Those advertised on TV and in bargain catalogues are junk. Their flaw is the weak battery that usually holds a charge for a few minutes and is so cheaply made it'll soon break under use. Their beams are all weak compared to other low-cost/throw-away lights, too.

If ya really ever need that Shake-light for a lengthy emergency, you'll get terminal elbow bursitis shakin' it to crank out sufficient (marginal) light over time... while looking like the runner-up at an, umm, Self-Abuse contest.

For $10 you can get a neat little Princeton Tec "Attitude" from fellow CPFer Sigman that'll run for days on 4 AAA's and out-shine that Shake-light. For $25-30 there's a bunch of lights (Streamlight, UK, etc.) that'll take AA lithium batteries that last many years if ya just want something to toss in a drawer for emergencies.

Welcome to CPF, Bundyrum!

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
There was a guy at a local flea market with boxes full of those things for a buck each. Even he said they were crap...but at least was honest about it. No...even for a buck, I passed.

quokked

Enlightened
I'm assuming you're talking about these one's jaycar has
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=649

Shakelights, My brother had one, and he brought it up to london to play with.
The main problem with them is the HUGE magnet that you have to move up and down one puny little coil of wire has a load of interia so that if you shake it the wrong way (vertically up and down) or if you were a little to enthusisatic about it the magent was likely to break the light.
Good idea though but if you're looking for one of these 'make your own energy' lights go the wind up varients or the solar panel ones :)
:thanks: f

flashlite

Enlightened
I don't own one but I did do some research and almost pulled the trigger on an AIT NightStar CS at Target the other day. After considerable deliberation, I got halfway up to the checkout with it when I got cold feet. Of course I bought a different light which I also didn't need.

If you're going to get one, get one from AIT. It uses a gold-film capacitor instead of a rechargeable battery and it has magnets at either end that repel the charging magnet so that you have a smoother shaking action.

This thing would be even better if it had a battery operated motor in it to do the shaking for you.

..........Wait........never mind.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AIT NightStar is not bad. I've got an older one and will probably get one of the CS models. IMO they are a niche light but they fill the niche well. Less parts to break than a crank model and they are bombproof at least the NightStars are.

Actually a guy I know modded one with one of the super bright LEDs and says it's even brighter than the newest version from AIT.

-LT

Last edited:

Learjet

Enlightened
I've seen the cheap shakies in action and they are total rubbish. So much effort for a dim blue light! But you must be talking about something else if it can survive 100 metres uw. Is that a requirement that it go that deep?

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I have a nightstar 2 and it's bright for a shaker. It's the only one to buy. Im not sure if mine has the starcore or standard led.