Best, compact, tactical LED for purse?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is carrying a Dorcy 3 AAA Luxeon LED now in her purse.

What would be the best for a light, compact, very bright LED to carry in her purse to blind an opponent?

I'd like to keep the cost to about $40, but will consider about any cost if it makes a real difference in safety.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
go for a Fenix, it's a 1 watt, well made and under $40.00

Doug

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
QIII, Fenix or E1L (though it's over $40). These could blind someone temporarily if their eyes were adjusted to the dark. Though I wouldn't count on this to save her from an attacker. The Brinkmann Maxfire can be had for $16.99 from target and is brighter than the above LED lights I mentioned. It would do the best job of blinding at the lowest price.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix/QIII. If your wife's purse is anything like mine, don't get something too small, like a Jil. She'll never find it when she needs it.

I attached a $1 keychain light w/ velcro to the side of my wife's purse for an internal light function; she loves it! Also give thought to an Eternalight or something that has an always on/find me feature.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Sean about the Brinkmann Maxfire LX. You can remove the rubber cover to better fit the purse. It's shorter than a Minimag and produces far more output than any LED light below $50.

Another option is a Streamlight TL-2 (incandescent, not LED) and remove the clip. Shorter than the Brinkmann, produces about the same output. Prices vary, but you could probably get one for around $40.

Probably the best option is a Surefire G2 with P61 high output lamp. It fits your price range, is shorter than a Minimag, and has by far the most output of the above lights, and vastly more than the LED options.

cslinger

Enlightened
If you want a LED I really like the Inova T1. Good run time, decent output, great price, HAIII, great throw for what it is and that focused beam is very irratating especially at close range. Take note that it is only about 25-30 lumens though if that matters to you.

I highly recommend something besides a light for defensive use, (defensive spray maybe, Broadsword :D)

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion says to pay the extra money and get the best tactical pocket light in its class, the HDS Basic ($120).

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
To most people a LED APPEARS to be brighter when compaired to an incandesent of the same output power.....I think it is due to a LED using a very small portion of the visable light spectrum.

gnef

Enlightened
hm, if you really want to get rid of an attacker, you could try a green laser pointer with the IR filter off... that would seriously reduce their vision capabilities for the rest of their life. after that, they wouldn't be capable of attacking anyone. :]

on a more serious note:

if you are really worried about your wive's safety though, you should consider other alternatives than light devices. like others have said, pepper spray is good, also a kubotan is an option.

kubotan: http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/kub.htm

(i am not associated with the site)

you could also get her something like this:

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/Keychains/wildkat.php

maybe even something like a telescoping baton could be useful for her in her purse. i would be very hesitant at relying on a light to deter an attacker.

-Melvin

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
What about the best tactical light using standard batteries (ie, AA, AAA, C, etc.) ?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
hyperslug said:
What about the best tactical light using standard batteries (ie, AA, AAA, C, etc.) ?
What size? One of the brightest using AAs is the Elektrolumens Tesla-6, producing 432 lumens. It's available in a 2D Mag size and uses 6 AAs:

http://elektrolumens.com/Tesla-6/Tesla-6.html

But it won't fit in most purses.

To repeat, if you want true tactical/defensive utility, that takes lots of output. The cheapest way to get that in a small size is incandescent, not LED. One of the highest output pocket-size lights at a reasonable price is a Surefire G2 with P61 high output lamp.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I just purchased the Brinkman Maxfire LX and it is a good light for under $20. But for $34 you can get the Surefire G2 which has a slightly smaller head and slightly shorter body.

Both are good lights. I purchased a G2 for my wife and she carries it in her purse with no problems.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in the LED for the reliability.

I had a really nice incandescent I used for myself (UK 4AA w/rechargeable lamp). My wife dropped if off of a counter top...presto, broken lamp, no light.

So...when she turns it on... I want it to come on, nice and bright.

We live in a rural area of Iowa so the probability of her being accosted is not very high. Still, she is out at night working at our local library and wants to carry something "just in case".

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
joema said:
Probably the best option is a Surefire G2 with P61 high output lamp. It fits your price range, is shorter than a Minimag, and has by far the most output of the above lights, and vastly more than the LED options.

I second the G2 with high output lamp assembly. I have a G2 with P90 bulb and use rechargeables. It is much more likely to blind someone than a Fenix, which is a great light for other purposes...

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
gnef said:
maybe even something like a telescoping baton could be useful for her in her purse. i would be very hesitant at relying on a light to deter an attacker.

-Melvin

I would be careful about recomending carring a telescoping baton in most states carring such a weapon is only allowed by trained personel ( ie: police and security guards). Maybe the G2 with the Bugout Gear 3 watt Led but that would make it about $60-70 dollars.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
A couple folks have posted the advise already,
but it should be repeated until it's understood.

Do not expect a flashlight to save you from
a mugger, attacker, aggressor, bad guy, anti-social
mugwump, or anyone bent on doing you harm.

Please, please, do yourself a favor and experiment.
Grab your spouse or best bud, break out your flashlights,
go to any location where you think there might be danger-
(let's say a shopping center parking lot)- and try out whatever
"defensive light tactics" you envision on the person. Move to another potentially threatening location and repeat. Test your lights under as many
conditions as you can.

Then report your findings here.

Folks, shining a flashlight at a mugger is
not going to stop his/her attack. Do not take my word for it.
Contact any reputable self-defense trainer. Ask him where a
flashlight falls in the continum of defensive tools.

FredM

Enlightened
I will back up what Babo said. I carry my handgun everywhere and a light. The only time a light is really gonna help you is if someone is in your house and you get the drop on them, light them up, then well, light them up. The blinding effect is only gonna help if you are the aggressor. It isn't gonna stop an aggressor.