The BriteStuff VariBrite 52L....output level?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read the review at flashlightreviews.com, but I didn't find what the output is in lumens. Anyone know? Wasn't there a groupbuy or something?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using their formula, the Pelican M6 3W comes out to only 50 lumens, yet it is rated at 61. I guess I'm looking for the exact number....

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nothing -- Inova rates the T4 at 100 lumens, yet Flashlightreviews tested it at only about 38.6 lumens (27 output units * 1.43).

There is no enforcement police or regulatory agency for lumen ratings. A manufacturer can essentially claim whatever they want. Nobody will show up on their doorstep and serve papers to cease and desist.

Even IF a manufacturer used conservative and realistic ratings, unit-to-unit variation can be substantial. There's STILL no guarantee your particular unit won't be significantly below or above the spec'd number.

The only exception is HDS who individually calibrates each light to reach the spec'd lumen value.

Surefire uses very conservative lumen numbers, so even though their lights aren't individually calibrated, most every one will exceed the spec'd number. But even then it's not guaranteed. It's conceivable that even a Surefire could fail to meet the spec due to manufacturing variation.

Considering all this, the Flashlightreviews.com output numbers (imperfect as they are) are probably more indicative of what you can expect than any Mfg spec (excepting HDS).