P90 advantage over P60

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDITED: Thought I was in "Incans". My Bad!

Just messing around with my lights and realized something...

The SF P90 will stay lit longer with lower voltage. Just playing around, a P90 with (2) 123's gives a dim light, with (1) 123, even dimmer, BUT it won't just "go out" like a P60. It's easier to gauge when you need a battery change. I've realized that I've gone through a few battery changes in my Z3 that maybe I didn't need to because I was worried it would just stop running without warning like my P60 lights. It makes it easier to not get caught unaware. (Okay, I know the P60 gets a little dimmer when it needs a battery change, but not as slowly as the P90.)

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Anyone else notice this? Is it the same with the P91? I don't have one, so I haven't been able to try it out. I'd think because it saps the batteries quicker, it would go out faster.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Even fairly dim, the P90 still throws P60 like beam. A lot of light there to play with, even "serious" play.

Bill

dougmccoy

Enlightened
A word of warning! The gases in the bulb are designed to prevent burnout of the filament by recycling the burnt metal material. This process only takes place at very high temperature and is almost certainly not happening when you are using it on 1 or 2 batteries! The reliability of the lamp assembly (not to mention the cost of having to replace it) is decreased substantially.

Doug

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
dougmccoy said:
A word of warning! The gases in the bulb are designed to prevent burnout of the filament by recycling the burnt metal material. This process only takes place at very high temperature and is almost certainly not happening when you are using it on 1 or 2 batteries! The reliability of the lamp assembly (not to mention the cost of having to replace it) is decreased substantially.
Doug

Doug,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the "halogen cycle", right? Good call. That keeps the inside of the bulb free of tungsten deposits, IIRC. Thanks for the warning! I wouldn't use it with one or two cells, but that was a good example of how long the lamp will stay lit to let you know you need a battery change.