Have Had My HDS EDC U42 for a bit and......

cslinger

Enlightened
I must say it really is a marvelous everyday carry light. The Battery lasts forever in normal use and playing around with even the high output.

I may very well pick up a Basic 60LE next. As much as I didn't think I would be, I am quite smitten with these little guys.

For anybody considering buying one here are my takes on a couple of common questions.

GT models - Mine is not a GT and has the most beautiful white tint, I personally would not buy a GT model.

Ultimate models - I like my U42 and have played around with adjusting the light levels but all things considered I would be just as happy with a basic model. The standard light level spacing is perfect and I think the Basic models, especially the Basic 42 are really a great bang for the buck while the high end models seem to loose bang for the buck very quickly.

XR models - I can't imagine needing this unless you plan to use it in high all the time and if that is the case then this probably isn't the light for you. With normal use (Read playing with it every day, using it as a candle, using high mode outside for fun etc.) mine just keeps running and running and running and running.

All that being said I really think the Basic 60 and the Basic 42 are the way to go for these lights. I am going to pick up a Basic 60LE for my everyday carry only because I want the light to come on full blast for my carry light. The U42 on the other hand I am perfectly happy with it's primary and secondary settings.

Just my 2 cents.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
Great light! I prefer the Ultimate for 4 reasons:
1. Simple momentary function.
2. Turn on at previous brightness level.
3. Use brightness level 2 or 3 for slight brightness tradeoff but big runtime gain.
4. Simply more fun.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It does seem that I have noted, on CPF, fewer problems with the Basic, than the Ultimate. Is lowest level about 2 lumens? What is next level up, lumen wise?

Bill

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The four factory settings are 0.3, 2, 10, and 42/60 lumens.

The lowest available setting for the U60 is 0.08 lumens.

I've played around with various brightness settings on my U60, but mostly use the factory levels. Sometimes I reduce LOW to a dimmer setting.

IMO the main advantage of the U-series is selectable turn on brightness. You can either have it:

(a) Remember the level it turned off at, OR

(b) Set Primary brightness to your desired level and enable "force primary", and it will always turn on to that brightness regardless of what level it was turned off at. Thus you can program it to behave like the LE version if desired.

The various other features such as momentary mode, switch lockout, emergency strobe, etc. appeal to various people depending on their needs.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
Bullzeyebill said:
Is lowest level about 2 lumens? What is next level up, lumen wise?
For models 42 and 60, the lowest level is about 0.08 lumens. There are a total of 20 levels (19 for the 42 model). They are spaced apart such that for every 2 steps in level, the lumens is halved. So...

level_2 = level_1 / sqrt(2)
level_3 = level_1 / 2
.. and so on...

Luxlover made a nice chart. I can't find his original post, but it's also available here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1088501&postcount=219

According to that chart, the second dimmest level is 0.12 lumens. It's pretty close to 0.08 * sqrt(2) = 0.1131. :shrug:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Yeah, I agree about the default levels, when I got my U60, I just could not see the need to change them, as they are just about perfect.

I love it as a pocket carry light. I use mine every night, at least for a minute or so. For things like walking around a dark house, finding the remote when watching a movie with the lights out, etc.

I could have gone with a basic, no doubt. I do use the momentary though, and I like having the options choices.

If and when he comes out with a 120, it'll be hard to resist. And the battery packs are something that interest me. And maybe a turbo head, if he gets around to it. Fact is that it's fine just the way it came. I love the switch on it!

The law of diminishing returns does apply to GT/XR and the like. It's nice to have the choice. Knowing what I know now, I might have gone for a Basic 60GT, as mine is slight bluish tint on higher settings. Still white though, much more than any white 5mm I've used. It is the whitest of all my adjustables on lower levels.

Overall, I think I made a good choice. I give it a 9.5 out of 10!

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
Bullzeyebill said:
It does seem that I have noted on CPF, fewer problems with the Basic than the Ultimate. Is the lowest level about 2 lumens? What is the next level up, lumen-wise?

Bill
Diode,
Thanks for the plug. Your commission check is in the mail.
:poke: Also, thanks for the explanation as to how the numbers came about.

Bill,
Below are my levels vs lumens tables. For those who bought a U85 before Henry stopped their production, I have posted that table, too.
Note: Per Henry's request, the lumens values in each table should be truncated to two significant digits. When I have the revised tables done, I will post them for all of you. In the meantime, use them as is even though the numbers are a little "busy" in terms of accuracy.

ultimate42leveltable.jpg

ultimate60leveltable.jpg

ultimate85leveltablea.jpg

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
as soon as they made a head that can take two rechargeable's (like my KL1) i'll buy it... it is the best design by far... and can't wait to get one... i just want to be able to use two batteries when the new tubes come out...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
cslinger - WELL SAID!! I agree 100% with your thoughts!! I'd been meaning to post something to that effect - you did it! Thanks!

Anyone contemplating spending the extra $$, or perhaps hedging on their "first HDS" light - the "Basics" are certainly worthy!!

lightplay22

Enlightened
I've had my EDC basic 42GT for about 3 weeks and love it. Of course I would like to have the U85GT, but mainly because of an addiction! (Sure wish I could justify a fix!)

Factory light spacings are A-OK and completely useful just about everything I need to light up.

Playing with an ultimate would have to be ultimately fun, but the basic sure does cover the needs.

Ben H

Enlightened
cslinger, thanks for your thoughts. I am interested in getting an EDC carry and contemplating which one. Your 2 cents were very helpful to me.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying my Basic 42 now for about 6 hours now, and must say it's getting better and better the more I use it. The four brightness settings are just about perfect. When I say just about, I'd probably like the lowest setting just a bit dimmer but it's nothing to complain about. I can see where the Ultimate models with the configurable settings are useful, but for me; once the newness wore off it would be like carrying a basic model in the first place. Just my thoughts....

I've EDC'ed a few LEDs in the past 3 years and I'll have to predict that this one will rank as my number one favorite thus far.

Last edited:

Latest posts