Engineering Student Needs Help!

Gary Michael Smith

Newly Enlightened
Hello Candle Power Forums,

I am a mechanical engineering student from the UK who is currently trying to design and develop a flashlight prototype for my IVA (Internal Verification Assessment). As part of my IVA, I must gather information about flashlights so that I can possess a broader knowledge of how to approach my design.

As well as this, I must incorporate some form of additional design material into the prototype so that it stands out from a typical flashlight. I was thinking of some form of tool or a compartment for storing matches or small candles, in case of emergency situations. However my own span of knowledge of professionally using flashlights is limited.

Can anyone on this forum give me any advice in making a flashlight prototype? I would appreciate it if there was only professional or experienced feedback to this thread, this thread will be pasted into my project diary.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Gary,

How's it going? Glad to see you at CPF! Why don't you stay awhile?

A good start would be to read some of the reviews and articles on flashlightreviews.com. They are well written and informative.

That would give you a feeling for a) the current flashlight market b) the current products c) their strengths and weaknesses d) opportunities for improvements.

I think it crucial to have a solid grasp upon the utility and intended purposes of a flashlight before you plunge into designing one. What if your light is intended for cave use? You might design it as a headlamp; if it is to be used in a car, or as a "bump in the night" light, you might choose diferent form factors altogether. How about if your light is going to be weapon mounted?

Infact you might want to even buy yourself a good light (eg. Surefire g2) to see what all the fuss is about.

Once you've understood that, you need to understand the limitations placed upon you by technology (manufacturing, battery, LED, bulb, etc).

That said, there are a number of experienced modders and flashlight manufacturers here on CPF. Most large flashlight manufacturers post to CPF, with the exception of maglite (for reasons I won't go into here).

edit: you may or may not know of other products around which have "cavities" for storing survival objects in them. examples include TAD gear's life capsule, some of Chris Reeve Knives's one piece line knives.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Gary,

Welcome to CPF.

Good luck on your project. You may find some ideas here that will help you get started. Here is another concept to explore.

Tom

flashlite

Enlightened
Here's an idea that I've always thought would be unique and nice to have in a flashlight:

Two banks of 2 AA batteries stacked side-by-side. The bulb only runs on one bank (3 volts) at a time and when one bank dies, you hit a switch that runs the light from the other "back-up" bank. This avoids the need to carry a spare set of batteries separately from the light. I was thinking of a solid, round piece of aluminum for the body with two holes bored out to hold the two sets of batteries. You could even make two separate end caps that screw into each opening so that you could change out the bad set of batteries without even shutting off the light. The switch could be some type of rocker switch so that you know which bank is currently being used.
:rock:

And if you make one of these, I want one :sold: .

Gary Michael Smith

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much people, I appreciate this information alot. This will go towards my research information regarding the target market audience.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
There are certainly a lot of different uses for flashlights, and you often see lights that are designed for certain specific purposes. Though you asked more generally about 'information about flashlights', somewhere along the line you'll probably need to pick some sort of 'end-purpose' your light will fulfil.

I have a particular liking for flashlights like the Pilas with LED tailcap / Surefire A2 Aviator / Streamlight Twintasks, the first two of which I own. These let you have a very bright beam alongside less bright but long-running LEDs. Along the lines of the 2nd bank of batteries, what would be nice to me is some option to have the LEDs or an LED run off a solar panel or "shaker". Doesn't have to be particularly bright, just useful for closeup/emergency tasks. Merge it with a reasonable size for EDC (every day carry), and it'd be a nice light for me to take on extended trips away from power sources (where I can mostly use the LEDs), or just have with me in case I get stranded on some island somewhere in the middle of the ocean.
biggrin.gif

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
One feature I would very much like to see that I haven't seen much before is a "battery fuel indicator" to tell you how much charge you've got left in a given battery.

Ledean

Enlightened
How about a flashlight with a built in thermometer to measure the atmospheric temparature as well as one to measure body temp.
Welcome to CPF.

wmirag

Enlightened
I have been trawling the web for years to find an LED nightlight that comes on when power is lost AND only when the room is dark. There are plenty of incandescents lights that do the former, but they last only a few hours. Done correcly, this would last for several nights on one charge. Not only is this innovative, you might be able to make some money on it!

Good luck.

W.