• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired To mod a Mag

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I would like to see if this is possible for about 60 dollars and if so how.
Alright I would like to mod a mini mag to:
1.put out about 60 lumens
2.run for about 30 minutes
3.not drop to 20 lumens in the first 5 minutes.
4.I dont want to bore out for bigger battery.
5.As I said abave about 60 dollars.

thx

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
as long as it runs 30 minutes I dont care if its led or incan as long as its as bright as posibbl and still under about 60.

red_robby

Enlightened
leds is just my prefrence, i like the durability of leds...i don't want to worry about killing the bulb if/when i drop the light. batteries are a concern too, AA batteries are pretty easy to find when you're stuck.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
so i was looking on their website and i see one of their brightest sandwhiches comes in around 751 m... which i think stands for millicandela.. and then.. to onvert it to lumens is a complicated physics task..

but you guys are saying that this sandwhich will be almost as bright in a mini mag as my 6p is? just with half the runtime?

if so.. thats sweet i think im gunna buy one.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens output of T binned lux3: 67.2 -87.4 and U binned lux3:87.4 - 113.6 :)

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
lol, i forgot im at work right now, and i dont trust their network with my credit card numbers.. so ill wait till i go home, but what is with the options? optics and reflectors? do i need those? its only like $2 extra.. but whats the benefit.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
ok.. so i went and ordered it..

i found a great how to on this site and couldnt make up my mind on which optic/reflector i wanted so i got one of each, and for ghits and siggles, i got a 3/4 inch acrylic ball too

i cant wait till i get it and try it out.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
recived it today..

im so happy.

i tried a couple reflectors, and i think im going to stay with the 17 mm IMS..

this thing has been on for longer then 30 minutes

I cant say how worth while this investment was. worth every penny.

The tube does get alittle hot, but its ok because this light is so damnd bright!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tube getting hot is a good thing. It means that the heat from the LED is being wicked away from it to a metal surface that can radiate the heat out into the air. Nice modification, by the way.

:thumbsup:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
They also offer an 18mm reflector (McR18?) that should fit (and work) even better than the 17mm.. If you're handy with a dremel tool, you can also bore out the Mini-Mag's head a little to accept the IMS 20mm reflector. That's my current favorite. :)

Jon

igabo

Enlightened
I'm a total newbie to this kinda stuff, but I have two questions about that LED.

1. What is the expected runtime?

2. Is it possible to use NiMH AA's with that?

Thanks!

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
the chart says 30 minutes..

id say it was really around like 45 or so..

after that, it drops down to a "low intensity" light.. good enough for reading maps and stuff, but not really power full.. i dont know how long it would last after that, at least 2 hours.. i had to stop my testing because i needed to go to work.

about the nmhi's.. i dont know

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
StoneDog said:
They also offer an 18mm reflector (McR18?) that should fit (and work) even better than the 17mm.. If you're handy with a dremel tool, you can also bore out the Mini-Mag's head a little to accept the IMS 20mm reflector. That's my current favorite. :)

Jon

im deffinatley going to look into that. right now, the mini mag is my work edc.

im an emt and i have this holster(sissors, rubber gloves, etc) that only has a slot big enough for an AA.

i dont need something insanely bright, but deffinatley brighter then a stock AA.

I really like the 6p/g2, but it wont fit in my holster i find it too big to carry around comfortably in my pockets and the 123's are getting kind of expensive.

I just did however, pick up another stremlight stylus for use as a pen light for checking eyes.