Favorite "board" games

Banshee

Enlightened
We suffered some minor flooding in my dad's basement this past weekend. While helping him sop up the remaining water we came across our old stash of board games we played as kids.
Past favorites were:
Monopoly, Easy Money, Payday, Stratego, Risk, Trouble, Headache, Scrabble, a box of Steve Jackson Metagaming titles, my original D&D stuff, Traveler, GammaWorld, BootHill, TopSecret, SquadLeader collection, Sorry.

What "old school" board games did/do you play?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Pictionary and Balderdash qualify as board games.:p

No one who knows me will play Monopoly or Clue with me.:devil:

Electronic Stratego is a blast.

Dark Tower also is fun.:)

Conoley

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster here :). Monopoly was the main game I used to play. Once in awhile though I played Advance to Boardwalk and when I was a little kid, Candyland and Life.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ah ... Battletech !!!!
If this is a board game in your language (and not a table top) I have to reate this NUMBER ONE in my book ... :D :D

dragon_sw2_small.jpg

KingCrabBKavatarnew.gif

Be afraid ! :devil: :crackup:

bernie

TorchMan

Enlightened
Well, as far as true board games, it's Risk and Monopoly. Also had one called the Sinking of the Titanic game that we played a lot. And Life. I don't remember it being a game, but I loved Light Bright!

Role Playing Games such as Dungeons and Dragons, or Advanced Dungeons and Dragons? Yeah, I started around 1980 with a basic box set and Keep on the Borderlands module. Within a year I had several modules and source books, many hardbacks. I went on to 2nd Edition, and even what is known as version 2.5. I have an extensive collection of these products. As in two huge bookshelves and some spill over! Kinda like my flashlight collection will probably be.

I've never taken more heat/scorn over anything else in my life! I've been called a geek (might be true), a devil worshipper, and worse. I've never dressed up in costume to act it out (no SCA, either) or used actual words or components for spells (no mumbling what incantations my characters would say). I guess I'll see how polite CPF really is after revealing this!

Played Boot Hill, Gamma World, and Top Secret a few times. Played Star Frontiers many times, and have a decent collection of that too, though it's nowhere near as numerous as AD&D due to the fact that it wasn't as popular.

Tried Werewolf and a few other like games too, never really got into it. Even though I'm a Trekkie, never played the Star Trek RPG. Never played Middle Earth, but thought it was a good system. Used some products by the same company (I think it was the same company) that were made for AD&D. Before TSR (They Sued Regularly) put them out of existence. I've played the Star Wars RPG (D20 System) by WOTC, now Hasbro I think. Same system as 3rd Edtion AD&D, but just couldn't bring myself to buy all new hardbacks and the like. Plus, I'm not impressed in my limited play with it.

I still would enjoy RPG, if I had the time. And, as players aged and had families, it's dwindled for all of us. Did get asked to DM a couple of months ago, said no. I want to play, not referee. And I've DMed much more than played.
Okay, after writing this I realize I must be a geek/dweeb. :grin2:

But, I'm not wacked as some media reports and extremists would have you believe. I do have this thing for flashlights though...:whistle:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey TorchMan ... I have found Vampire:The Masquerade to be an excellent and very felxible as well as intriguing RPG as it is much less heroic and mroe depressive andparanoid than AD&D.
bernie

Banshee

Enlightened
I also turned up a large cache of Magic:The Gathering cards, Battletech cards and a full set of XFiles cards....

Time to go visit the local RGP bookstore and trade these in for some CASH!!

TorchMan

Enlightened
Hey Bernie,

We almost played that at work, during lunch. We generated characers and all, and were playing in a back room. I called it off, as it was garnering bad attention by some of the other workers. And, being as I was the manager of the place, I did what I thought best and we never got around to it.

Speaking of less heroic, and slightly OT, I love the Elric of Melnibone series by Michael Moorecock (sp?). Mostly the original six novels, but even some of the other stories he's done. And he did some lyrics for a band I like, but didn't mention in the under appreciated album thread, Blue Oyster Cult. Black Blade, about Elric. And Veteran of the Psychic Wars, which is also featured on the Heavy Metal soundtrack, and received a good bit of airplay here in the 80s.

The thing I enjoyed most about RPG were they are so flexible, you can play them in any style you desire, not just what the manuf. suggests.

There was an Episode of COPS a while back, and during a traffic stop, the officer found Werefolf source books. He yelled at the driver/suspect; "Are you are Werewolf!" Insided the cover of one of the sourcebooks others had at work, was a request for that person to contact them with his story!

Makarov

Enlightened
Banshee said:
I also turned up a large cache of Magic:The Gathering cards, Battletech cards and a full set of XFiles cards....

Time to go visit the local RGP bookstore and trade these in for some CASH!!
You're gonna sell your Magic?
Even though I don't play Magic regulary anymore, I'll never gonna sell the cards, all the time and sweat and money going into collecting the cards...

luckily for me I managed to stop collecting and found something else to use my hard earned money on; Guns, and all my Magic buddies were like, "hey you're not gonna buy 2 displays of the new set?"

Now all my buddies in the gunclub is like, "Hey, you bought 4 of the same flashlight???"

I agree with Kiessling and Archangel on the classic Battletech, that's a really great game.

Right now my fav's are Settlers of Catan and Pirates of the Spanish Main.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I recently sold my Magic Collection which included all the complete sets from Beta to Tempest ... it hurt a lot, but made me rich :D
Magic got terminated by the professionalism I think.

Pen-and-Paper RPGs still rule supreme together with Battletech ... and we should have made that point earlier on CPF ... :crackup:

Torchman ... Elric I don't know ...

bernie

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
May you fly with the Dragon and see as He sees.
(Yeah, i guess it's pushing it as far as being a board game, but i never had the money to get into the miniatures.)

Risk and Stratego are top notch true board games. I started off RPGs with D&D. Somewhere along the line i transitioned into GURPS with a few others sandwiched in there and then they fell by the wayside.

I actually own a slew of games, but most are in storage. RoboRally, Nightmare Chess, Global Chess and a handful of card games are about all i have here.

51280974.warhammer.gif

Makarov

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
I recently sold my Magic Collection which included all the complete sets from Beta to Tempest ... it hurt a lot, but made me rich :D
I can just guess at the $$$ you got out of it, just the complete Beta will keep you with hig-end flashlights for a very long time....

Kiessling said:
Magic got terminated by the professionalism I think.

I quit collecting around Tempest as well, was tired of the "buying game", still think that Magic is one of the greatest games ever, and that Richard Garfield is a genious. The man just loves games.

Banshee

Enlightened
I finally gave up attempting to "keep up" with all the new card sets that were being released. They (Wizards of the Coast) were making a self-perpetuating fortune by making "older" Magic card sets "obsolete" whilst bringing in new cards to replace them. "Real" MTG games could only use the non obsolete cards...but we never paid much attention to that.

I've been holding these for a while but cant see ever playing agin..so they are just a tied up "asset" ready to be liquidated.