will batteries make a big difference in my M@G85?

setherd

Newly Enlightened
I have mine completed except for NiMH batts, I'm just using some duracell alkalines.

I'm going to get rechargeables but I was just wondering.

also can any reccomend a charger they like? I was looking at some from amondotech.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh..you are kidding right? You are actually using Alkalines for MAg85? DId you make the light yourself or did someone sell it to you without telling you that you need NIMH to start with?

Okay, NIMH is almost a must(unless you have Li-Ions), I'm suprised you are getting any light at all pulling 3+ amps from those poor alkalines. Get yourself some CBP1650 and a good multibay Maha charger....

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
2000 mAh Rayovac 15 minute IC3 work well too. 4C charge rate says you should be able to pull 8 amps no problem. Available at Target, Home Depot, Walgreens, Circuit City, etc. etc.....

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
setherd said:
I was looking at some from amondotech.

Seth - the Titanium brand NiMH batteries at amondotech are good. I'm using the 1800mah flavor in a Mag85, but you can get higher capacity up to 2600mah if you like. Any of their chargers intended for NiMH AA batteries would work, but you can use a Maha brand charger or other smart charger and charge the entire 9-battery Fivemega carrier (if thats what you are using) at once, rather than having to charge the 9 batteries separately.

best regards

setherd

Newly Enlightened
hmm well the light is damn bright already, I can't wait till I get more juice flowing.
I'm just using 3AA ->D adapters.
I've been piecing it together over the past month.
right now no one is selling the parts except for the bulbs, lens, and reflector.
I've pieced mine togetehr from anyone who had stuff.
3 D cell adapters, a magcharger slug for bipin bulbs, the reflector and lens are still in transit.
I really want to get one of the super reflectors though.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Seth,

As much as I love my Titanium 2400's, I have decided to change my Mag85 cells to the Titanium 2600's. They seem to hold voltage very well and although I am getting 40 minutes of run time from the 2400's, I would like a little bit more.

As far as chargers go, you might find this thread useful.

Tom