Problem with new VG-FB1 switch

sr45

Newly Enlightened
My new Vital Gear FB1 switch is intermittant. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Usually a rap against the palm brings it to life.

I know the simple answer is to send it back, but I thought I'd ask if there was an even simpler solution.

Details... about a week and a half of gentle use, KL1 head, Surefire CR123.

Any thoughts?

air177

Newly Enlightened
Beamhead said:
Does it have the spring or the tabs?

I have an FB-1 that has the spring type switch that is intermittent at best. Is there a fix out there for the spring type?

Thanks much,
Blake

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I had this type of problem with a VG FB2 and found the solution by searching CPF.

My switch was the earlier tab type. However, the switch is very easy to take apart. With a little bit of luck and a moderate amount of time this switch can be made quite reliable.

Doug

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
The problem is basicaly the same with the new switch as with the old switch , it is not making contact .

I have preformed the mod in the link above on switches
new and old many times and have not had any problems since .
The mod is a PITA because the wire is only 3mm long and must be very fine .

If you dont have the nerves for it send it back for a new one and hope the problem doesent start over again . There are hundreds of switches out there that dont have any problems at all .

Kenny

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I had the problem with my FB2 switch, it drove me crazy and really spoiled a very nice design (for the body). Later on I took in an FB1 as a bonus in a trade deal and the switch, although having a weird microswitch feel, works perfectly once there is spring tension on the battery. I was expecting the same gimmicky behavior but was suprised. I love my FB1 now. Hope you find a cure.