finaly geting rid of dial up woohoo i hated dial up

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well since i moved i had to go back to dail up.and for a guy who loves to download linux and play with it .it was stinky some linux are 4 gigs which is like a 4 day download on dial up hect more then that lol well i found a cheap cable modem deal for 24 per month hect dial up is 15 so my bills go up 9 thats ok cause im droping my bellsouth phone line which is 30 .and going to vonage which is 15.so i save 20 per month all togher so i have boradband cheaper then dial up. im alos looking for a hceaper voip plan i only make like 40 minutes of calls per month and most are to dad .yes i know im not a phone person i dont even answer it .unless they leave message on message machine lol most it is darn telemarketers.so tomorow soon as i wake up im rideing bike to charter comuncations and picking up modem and will spend all day downling all the linux ive missed there is now even a gentoo for dummies with graphic install

raggie33

*the raggedier*
now im thinking perhaps ill dump phone all toghter i mean i never use it but any one but my dad and dr. and dr has email i know coucler does.less i can find a realy cheap phone plan even cheaper then 14

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations. Sounds like it's coming together.

You might look at one of the pre-paid celluler deals. If you buy minutes by the year, it's like 15 or 20 cents per minute. You'd also have 911 capability.

I got a TracFone for my elderly mother. It's worked fine for us, but I think there are better deals out there, Virgin for one.

I'm sure there's guys here that know much more about it than I do.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a prepaid plan, and pay by the year, it should be less than that. Maybe 10 cents a minute.
This is T-Mobile's Pay as You Go plan
http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=payasyougo

I will never go back to dial-up if I can help it. I am too spoiled by boradband. The slowest I'd ever want to deal with would be maybe 512k or 256k DSN, and that would be as the last desparate measure before going to dial-up. I'd give up cable tv before my cable modem, it's not like I watch much tv these days anyway. I'm dead broke these days, but I'll find some way to budget a boradband connection in there. Cut down the heat and wear a fleece jacket and hat all the time, and use a thick comforter if I have to.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember my days on dialup.. towards the end they were the worst, and yet the best of times. I miss the great crew I had, I'll never miss the problems of analog dial. Though I must say I'd love to put the V.FC handshake screech as the ringtone on my cellphone.

I don't really have much to say. Congratulations on finally moving on to high speed Net - it's like finally being able to breathe again as opposed to being able to breathe through a straw.

Unicorn, here's hoping you find a way to keep your high speed net access.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well my first impresion of charter is bad they had no darn sign on the street so im on my bike loooking and looking for it .even asked a leo she didnt know but man she was a knock out lol.im like she is one hot police officer.well then i find it and i get home with the easy install kit..well i got to install the software it says i have no nic card lol..im knoweing i have one .its right on motherboard .so i just clcik next a.d it wouldnt let me install the charter software so i say heck with it and hook it up with out cd right now im downloading around 340 per second.which is like fastttttttttt lol around downloaded 1000 megs of linux mandrake and i dont even think i left charter to like 90 minutes ago .im kinda mad alos the modem should of been free and the total price 20 per month but i had to lease modem even though on website it said free modem after rebate i could by it for 75 which i am not sure if thats a good idea.still aint sure on what to do with phone but no mater what i got a way fasetr conection for less money then dail up if i go with vonage

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o thank you about the cell phone idea .i used my sisters once there so cool plus when im out at lake i can get call i will try to figure out what plan is best today i like the prepay cause ya cant get charged more if ya go over right?it will just shut off? are there any cheap cell phones?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Broadband is so much better than dial-up it's a no brainer IF its available. Out in the sticks like where I am I sometimes suspect that dial telephones are that newfangled contraption that put all them operators outen their jobs of connecting folks fer chats.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have broadband for most internet access, though I still have to use dial-up to send & receive email, and FTP to any of my AT&T Worldnet subdomains.
But I can check my email with broadband, so I can just "Report as spam" any messages that fall into that category without downloading them to my email inbox on dial-up and then having to delete them.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
raggie33 said:
o thank you about the cell phone idea .i used my sisters once there so cool plus when im out at lake i can get call i will try to figure out what plan is best today i like the prepay cause ya cant get charged more if ya go over right?it will just shut off? are there any cheap cell phones?

Usually when you sign up with a cell phone plan, the provider usually has good deals for phones. Like I got my phone for $40, but if I bought it with out the plan, it would cost around $100.

Depending on what features you want(camera, email, and so on) you might be able to find a phone for cheaper than that easily. Shop around.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i want it to have caller id and be small enough for pocket nothing fancy

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caller ID is pretty much standard now. Check the carriers in your area, and see if you know anybody who has them. Then check for reception in the areas that you will be spending most of your time in.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for you Raggs !

I had a dial up: dedicated phone line $ 23 plus, an Internet provider, $ 20+ taxes, and went with Charter cable for about $ 40 for Hi-speed.

Cancelled the dedicated phone line; pretty much a wash, maybe saved a bit, but THREE meg download, NEVER go back.

Anybody still locked into 56K crap, CHANGE.

I didn't like the internet much, until I got FAST !

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thank you every one .john ihre ya 3 meg is awesume.so so fast.far as phone i wanna drop the line like a hot potato i never ever answer i use machine to screen calls even on message i say please dont call if ya are telemarkter and them idiots leave a message and my machine is cheap it only has like room for one mesage so it will erase last one.i get pretty angry at telemarketers.pw i love that sig lol .unicorn i preety much never leave house im hopeing i can get reception from atl im in gainesville .i realy have no idea how cell phones work far as distace.i can here radio staion from atl though just not clear.i just need phone for when dad calls or i call him .and dr i cant belive its 30 per month that nutty so it porbaly works to be like a lot per minute for me.i dont even have caller id

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the parent's, never mind 56k, they only get 28.8. Imagine that. Way out in the sticks so they'd better hope satelite improves as I think it's their only hope. I posted earlier about Verizon $14.95 DSL deal. I can't see why anyone would want dialup over that if available.