MIT alumni / students?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just applied for MIT and I really hope I get in... Its got to be the best college in the world.

Has any CPFer been there?

-tom

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Don't go there,(not smart enough), but I do have a friend that is there now, if that counts.

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping to do an exchange there in the 3rd year of my engineering course. My uni has a pretty big scheme for a lot of subjects to do exchanges to MIT.

what course have you applied for?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took courses there for a little more than a year before I decided to head for the hills in NH for an engineering degree instead, where I could run on the Appalachian trail and the river isn't toxic (at least as far as I know -- I did hear that IBM has at least one silicon etching facility in Vermont)

After engineering school I worked at MIT for 6 years (helping teach a lab course and later doing IT).

OMG that's a fun place to be.

If you get in...
- You gotta love tunnels
- Take "The [color codename deleted] Tour"
- Learn how to pick locks
- Speak Math (it's a language)
- Use the word "paradigm" a lot
- HAVE FUN!!! :)

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
Cornkid said:
I just applied for MIT and I really hope I get in... Its got to be the best college in the world.

Has any CPFer been there?

-tom

What course are you applying for?

Are you applying straight out of school for an undergraduate or for a postgrad degree?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am applying as an Undergraduate. I understand that the possibility of being selected is minimal, but one can dream right? :)

I am looking at the nuclear Engineering program, but if there is a way that I could engineer lights for Surefire...

-tom

Penguin

Enlightened
Good Luck Tom! I know how nerve racking it is to have to wait for the acceptance letters... Take a look into Caltech as well. Thats another outstanding school. 3:1 student-teacher ratio.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rule #1 of applying to ANY college/university:
----------------------------------------------------

- Find out the program most starved for applicants but which still has enough funding that it's not going to get closed as a department and which you're at least not totally unqualified for. At MIT, it isn't EE (course 6) which is maybe the most popularly competitive it's more like, oh I'm not sure maybe civil(2?) or DMSE (3)? I don't know about nuclear, how that'd be. I'm out of touch.
- TELL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICER AND INTERVIEWER THAT YOU'RE TOTALLY COMPLETELY DYINGLY LOVINGLY DEVOTED TO APPLYING FOR THAT ONE!
- Once you're admitted, transfer to whatever department you want (it's not like they're going to say "that's full")

Works great at a huge university too, y'know. Like if you're applying to the U of Mich, put yer application in for the Lit. & arts. Then after you're (of course) admitted, transfer to the engineering program.

At a place organized like MIT, I think you don't apply for a particular course so just make it clear that you're not intending to go "course 6" or something like that.

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
binky said:
Rule #1 of applying to ANY college/university:

- Find out the program most starved for applicants but which still has enough funding that it's not going to get closed as a department and which you're at least not totally unqualified for. At MIT, it isn't EE (course 6) which is maybe the most popularly competitive it's more like, oh I'm not sure maybe civil(2?) or DMSE (3)? I don't know about nuclear, how that'd be. I'm out of touch.
- TELL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICER AND INTERVIEWER THAT YOU'RE TOTALLY COMPLETELY DYINGLY LOVINGLY DEVOTED TO APPLYING FOR THAT ONE!
- Once you're admitted, transfer to whatever department you want (it's not like they're going to say "that's full")

Works great at a huge university too, y'know. Like if you're applying to the U of Mich, put yer application in for the Lit. & arts. Then after you're (of course) admitted, transfer to the engineering program.

At a place organized like MIT, I think you don't apply for a particular course so just make it clear that you're not intending to go "course 6" or something like that.

I personally wouldn't risk my whole degree on the fact that they "should" let you change course. I'd hate to be stuck in a lit & arts course for x years. At cambridge its at the discretion of the head of the particular subject, and i know of some who haven't been permitted to change.

Of course this will probably be different for every university.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be different across the pond.

Works here. My mom was an admissions officer and my dad was dean at 3 schools, president of another, and retired to being professor at another (schools large, small & Ivy). And both parents of course conversed with members in similar positions from other schools. I've attended 3 and worked & attended MIT. From that sample set I can confidently say it works at many well-known U.S. schools. It's about diversifying the applicant base, and trying to predict who'll enhance the endowment :) as an alum.