Is the Gerber TX 3.0 tactical any good????

m209

Banned
Is the Gerber TX 3.0 tactical any good? Things I don't like: It is only HA II and it is long in length.

Why so few threads on this light?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that another reason people aren't into this one is the fact that it requires 3 batteries and is unregulated.

A light like this is meant to be bright, and this one will only be bright for a small portion of the total life the batteries can offer.

With good circuit boosters being used in lights to keep them bright for most of the life of the battery, you can get the most of the batteries and there is no need to use 3 of them (which make the light longer and a bit more annoying to feed).

Another thing is that considering there aren't any whiz-band electronics in there, this light is pretty pricey- between $50 to $70 online. This is the same range as the Inova T3 which will remain brighter for longer, has HAIII, and only uses 2 cells (even though they are CR123s).

Despite these criticisms, many people liked the LX 3.0 very much, and Gerber's aluminum light line has proven to be above average in quality, so if you've got a good deal on the TX 3.0, I'd say go for it and tell us about it :D. I for one would like to hear how people like the switch on the Gerber T line.

m209

Banned
Is the beam a flood or spot?

What's the run time?

How durable is the HA II?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get the impression that I have the light, because I don't. However, from what I read about the LX 3.0 (which is the same except for a slight body redesign and the switch), the light uses an optic which is geared toward throw.

The finish I can answer, since it is the same as on my Gerber Trio. It is a matte type finish that looks beautiful and feels almost satiny. However, it is just Type II- sharp bends or edges on the light will start to wear and you could scratch through it with a knife. Unless you baby it, expect it to start to look used eventually, though its strictly cosmetic and won't affect operation in any way.

Runtime is about 1.5 hours to 50% with a really long usable tail.

This review should answer most of your questions in more detail:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gerber_tx3.htm

Last edited:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one thing that bugged me about LX3 I had (gave it to my Dad's new wife) is that it could handle only Alkalines! I don't know if this can be sayed about the TX-3. I felt that this really limited the range of options in a pinch! That's why I've got an (ElektroLumens)XM-3.

chiphead

txmatt

Enlightened
My LX3.0 has very nice flood/spill. I haven't tried them back-to-back, but I'm pretty sure my Streamlight Propoly Lux's will out-throw the LX3.0 but the LX has way more spill light. I would categorize it as more leaning more towards flood than throw.

txmatt

Enlightened
Yes, I'm running 2500mAh NiMH's in mine with no problems. Any decreased brightness due to lower voltage is minimal but NiMH's should give a pretty constant output as opposed to a pretty linear dimming with alkalines.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Txmatt, any estimates as to the time taken for the LX 3.0 to drop to 50%? I've read 2 estimates that say 1 1/2 hours and 3 hours. Quite a huge difference.

SimplyJ

Newly Enlightened
I bought a TX from BatteryStation a while back for about $35. Overall I think it's a great light with a decent throw. I am running Panasonic 1600mAh Ni-MHs in it. I've had no problems so far. But I understand that AA Lithiums are verboten for the TX 3.0.

The anodized finish is not too impressive. The first week I had it the light took a tumble onto parking lot asphalt. It left some minor but unslightly gashes. I've dropped HA-3 lights also and they usually come out with only minor nicks.

I haven't tried doing a runtime test, but I assume that it will last about 30 or 40 minutes. The beam is plenty bright but has an odd squarish hotspot with visible wires when looking at something up close. When shining at something farther away, the square and wires are not noticeable. The switch is could use more resistance and tactile feedback. It's a little too easy to turn on the TX 3.0 when you may want momentary on instead. But I think Gerber may have updated the switch to a "clicky" one, my TX 3.0 is a silent switch. Because of the smallish tailcap, the TX is awkward to operate in a "Rogers-SureFire" grip, the heavy head doesn't help matters. Overall I think it's a good utility/general use flashlight, maybe not as good as some other LED lights, but definitely better than the average 2D cell incandescent flashlight.

txmatt

Enlightened
NotEnoughLight said:
Txmatt, any estimates as to the time taken for the LX 3.0 to drop to 50%? I've read 2 estimates that say 1 1/2 hours and 3 hours. Quite a huge difference.

Nope, no estimates, sorry. I've probably only run it for 30-45 minutes at a time and never noticed any reduction in output. I almost always recharge after every use so I rarely put more than an hour runtime on the batteries between charges.

Just to add more comments, I really like the LX 3.0, it's one of my favorite lights. The size is very nice in the hand. For me, the spill makes it a better hiking/walking light than my SL Propoly Lux's. The diamond shaped hotspot looks weird on a wall but I never notice it in use. I recently put some Writeright on mine to further smooth the beam/enhance spill. I haven't dropped or smacked mine but the matte finish is nice looking and has an almost velvet-like feel.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Thanks for your response txmatt. i have one LX 3 from spoonrobot and was wondering if the beam pattern was really as bad as the one quickbeam took. flood is good....

jklinedds

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Way late to the conversation, but for people doing a CPF search: I just bought the light and think it is total crap. Not much brighter (if at all) than my L2P, no regulation, heavy, takes 3 batteries, soft clickie, no brightness levels... just my two cents.

Regards,

Jeff

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, well you've got over a year's progress since this (or frankly any Gerber) light was making the news. Back then, Fenix was just getting started and there weren't many AA Luxeon lights on the market at all. Newbie flashaholics are so spoiled these days...;)

Welcome to CPF! Hold on to your wallet- many exciting things are yet to come.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize the TX 3.0 is old hat by our current standards, but it is the main light I use in my car and for forays into dark woods, disused bunkers, caves etc.

True it doesn't throw as well as some or brighten the dark into day like others: but this means that you get a broad gentle flood that doesn't dazzle and is far more useful in the main for the tasks that torches are designed for - ie getting around in the dark!!!

Also, despite using three AA batts, it's cheap to run. I've never had to replace the batts on a single excursion, and on NiMH's I haven't noticed much dimming or lack of runtime compared to other lights.

Also it's built like a tank and is reasonably reassuring in the hand ( Egad!!)

So there ya go, not my favorite, but not the worst purchase you could go for all things considered.

Be lucky...