Ok, got Penty L2 LED head open. What am I looking at here?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I opened the first Penty L2 head to see If I can salvage it somehow. this particular head will actually light but only put out like 3 lumens or so... I took a picture, so can anyone explain to me what I'm looking at here? Also, I have another L2 head and I wonder if I could possibly build a good head out of the part from these 2 heads. Possible?

Anyway heres a pic...
http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn08118lt.jpg

Last edited:

AlecGold

Enlightened
Re: Ok, got L2 LED head open. What am I looking at here?

Well, you are looking at the emitter. There is one wire connected, the screws will prob. close the circle ;)
if you get the wire loose, and the screws out, you should be able to replace the lux. star. But I wonder if switching the emiter from the other L2 will solve the problem. In that case there hase to be an other problem with that light.
So my qestion is: why doesn't the other emiter work?
Why doesn't this emiter work btw? Is this one you "blew up" with to many voltage?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, this is the one that I tried to run unprotected 3.7V cells on and it went out. The other one simply died on its own and doesn't light at all. I'm wonderint if I move the emitter from the first one to the base on the second one if it will work.

AlecGold

Enlightened

well, in that case, I would certainly try swapping the emitters.
But there is another trick you could do perhaps. That is to check with an Ohm-meter to see if there is a lot of difference in resistance between the two heads.
I'm not sure, but I think directly soldering on the emitter itself would definately destroy it. So you would have to replace the complete Lux.star.

AlecGold

Enlightened

Ooh, and Surefire? they have a great service, don't they replace the light?
Or are you more into modding. :D
It is perhaps also possible to buy another emitter or another complete star.
I have no idea what you want for tint/bin, but it could be very expensive to relative cheap, depending on your whishes and wants.

greenLED

Flashaholic

KDOG3 said:
Yeah, this is the one that I tried to run unprotected 3.7V cells on and it went out.

I'm guessing an electronics component on the board got fried. A good test to see if an emitter works is to wire it momentarily with a fresh 123: if it lights, it's still alive.

seattlite

Enlightened

The "Error" E2L's have the L2 head, and several CPF members are running 2 x RCR123(2 x 4.2V = 8.4V) with great success. So far, I've only heard about 1 CPF member who has fried his "Error" E2L head.

So, like what "greenLED" said, you probably fried the electroics in the L2 body.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I probably can't swap the emmiter out from the other one, huh? They're both just fried?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think he is reffering to the Penatgonlight L2. I would just swap the emmiters, and it should work just fine.

-David

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."

When you say it only puts out 3 lumens is that on LO or HIGH? or BOTH?

I wonder if R1 or R2 might be bad.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is no low and/or high with the Penty L2 head. To clarify:

- I have 2 Penty L2 3W heads.

-The first one (we'll call this head "A") I tried to run it on 2 UNPROTECTED 3.7v rechargeable cells. The light flickered and died. It DOES light up still but barely. I'd say 3-5lumens off of the 9V (3-cell) body and the actual emitter just barely glows bluish off of the 6V (2-cell) body.

-The second one (this would be "B") is the one they sent to me ON a 9V (3-cell) body. After about only 45 min of runtime it flickered and went down to about half power then flickered some more and died completely. This one does NOT light at all.

So I am hoping I can swap the emitter from one and put it on the base (driver?) from the other. Is this doable?

tomL

Newly Enlightened

Nice photo.

Unless there are more components on the other side, I see no rocket science here. Just an emitter, two resistors, and two transistors. The resistor values are clearly marked, and a resistance check with a DMM will probably tell you if they survived (they probably did). It looks like the transistors are clearly marked too (might take a bit of scraping to make the numbers readable). You could probably check the voltages across the transistor leads with it lit to see if they are working or not. If necessary, it wouldn't take much to replace all the components.

JanCPF

Enlightened

Here we go again. Confusion with the Surefire L2. :shakehead. KDOG3, could you please in the future refer to the Pentagonlight L2 in another way than just by calling it L2 :poke:.

Last edited: