Help out a newbie... ...need a reflector...

M

mypalthetortoise

So I'm building a 5w bike light and I need help picking out a reflector that can really throw a good amount of light...
I've tried some Fraen optics and the McFlood and the best thing I've found so far is a reflector salvaged from a Dorcy 1w flashlight - probably similar to the IMS 20mm.

I'm now thinking of trying one of the 30mm optics, or a McR-27 or 38.

Anyone have a suggestion or an all time favorite?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you look at the Mcgizmo section, there are some very good beam shots of the various reflectors under a wide variety of conditions.

Just in general, bigger reflector = better throw. Are you sure you really want pure hot spot and ultra throw for a bike light ? There are a lot of really happy bikers with multiple 3 Watters with somewhat less throw. Might want to check out the Electrolumens section.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
HarryN said:
I think if you look at the Mcgizmo section, there are some very good beam shots of the various reflectors under a wide variety of conditions.

Just in general, bigger reflector = better throw. Are you sure you really want pure hot spot and ultra throw for a bike light ? There are a lot of really happy bikers with multiple 3 Watters with somewhat less throw. Might want to check out the Electrolumens section.

I just built a 3x3 with modamags Perfect Tri Sink, using IMS 20 reflectors, and I'm really happy with it. It throws far enough, that I don't worry too much about out running the light, but it gives me a nice corona up close that I can still see what's directly in front of me. I was using an Elektrolumens Blaster VI (5W), and while it would punch pretty well, it didn't do much for giving me a feel for what's up close, so I felt kind of blind there.

M

mypalthetortoise

5w

What I'm making will be a 5w...
It's a VX1S with uFlex run on Li-Po's @ 7.4v.

Kind of too late to change the design now, although the U bin III's at the shoppe are looking pretty nice...

I'm now thinking about the McR 27 or 38... I think they're about the same design, only the 38 is a bit longer?