SF U2 or L2

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I am planning to buy an SF light. I am un decided between a U2 or L2. From flash light reviews, the L2 puts out more light, but the U2 has better throw. I am leaning towards the U2 because I am hoping that with the various levels of output, I can get better run time. Also I think 80-100 lumens is good output, and I would like decent throw. I am looking for an EDC light. I also do a fair amount of camping, hiking, hunting and would like to take this light along for that usage. I don't want to have to carry a bunch of batteries, so run time is important. And for the $ for a SF, I want a big wow factor when I click the light on among my less flashlight savy friends and neighbors. Any sugestions?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think your non-flashlight-savy friends are going to be quite impressed by either of them... I know that if someone gave me a choice of a freebie, I'd go for the U2, mostly for the lower low levels. Actually, I'd a light like the L2 but that was a three stage and had an even lower lowest level but the size of the L4... I'd like something like the lowest or next to the lowest setting on the U2 as a low, a bit brighter than the L2 on low as the medium and as bright as possible for the high!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen an L2 in action, yet, but I've read on many threads and have been told that the output of an L2 and an L4 isn't that different. That being said, I've compared a U2 with my L4, and the U2 had a much more impressive beam. Yes, the reflector is bigger, and it's more focused, but it still appeared to be substantially brighter than my L4. I'd guess the L2 has a beam similar to the L4. If that is true, then you should consider the type of beam you prefer. The U2, while still somewhat floody, probably won't be nearly as floody as the L2, but will throw further. Bright flood or bright throw w/some flood?

Edit: Just noticed that you want an EDC light. You might want to consider the size of each, too. The L2 will be more comfortable in your pocket, if that's how you might carry it.

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
Both are big lights. I own an L2 and it is not an EDC light for me. I would love a U2 but can't justify that much money for a flashlight, cuts into the gun fetis.....ahhh hobby. :D

The U2 is pretty big in it's own right but will offer you more options such as a good solid 35-40 hour runtime on low and the low is plenty useful, not just some completely useless amount of light that barely glows the LED.

Given the choice I'd go with the U2.

cy

Flashaholic
I've got both L2, U2 and several L4's.

if size is not a concern, go with U2. much more versitile light, U2 supports 18650 with no mods, giving aprox two hours of runtime on high. 15+ hours on low.

once again forget about spec's. actual output of all three lights will depend upon luxeon lottery.

all three are 5watt luxeons with output that will destroy ANY three watt.

if size is a concern, go with KL4/E1E body and R123 li-ion. U2 runtime will still be king.

lest we forget about L2, if you like a long slender form. L2 is for you. comes with two level tailswitch for long runtimes on low.

BVH

Flashaholic
I, too, have a couple of U2's, an L4 and an L2. My eye-o-meter says the order of brightness from low to high is L4, L2, U2. None are really pocketable for me. I like the U2 for size and adjustability/longer run time. Get the U2.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
go_to_the_light said:
...I am leaning towards the U2 because I am hoping that with the various levels of output, I can get better run time...I would like decent throw...
The U2 is a superb light. Especially considering camping, etc. the variable output is very handy. It's not a spotlight, but has plenty of throw for most circumstances.

The HDS U85 is a possible alternative. Doesn't have quite the U2s output/runtime, but very good, and at lower brightness has good run time. It's more portable and easier to pocket carry than the U2. If you can give up the highest output level, the U60 has the same features for $180.

A lower cost alternative is the Vari-Brite 52L, about $70.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/britestuff_vari-brite52l.htm

http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...d=282&osCsid=ed9ab114f073d4b99c5691e0022eb426

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the feedback. I am not planning to carry this in my pocket, but in my briefcase. Looks like I will go with the U2.

dfred

Enlightened
I have an SF L2 and it's a great light with a definite wow factor in dark surroundings. The area-lighting capability of the L2 on high is very impressive. Its simpler user interface might also have some advantages for defensive use with a handgun, but that's a somewhat subjective issue. I have not handled a U2, but by all accounts it is an excellent light with comparable output and more flexibility. It seems fairly clear that the U2 is worth the extra cost for what you get...

But since you mentioned you're also planning use for hiking, camping, hunting, etc., you may want to consider taking more of a systems approach. Perhaps get the L2 as your "serious" light and use the difference in price to buy a small, long-running LED headlamp and get a nice single cell AA/AAA as a true EDC/backup light. The flexibility of having different lights for different tasks is hard to match in a single light. And if you've never camped with a headlamp, it's hard to convey how useful they are. But consider this an aside as I don't want to derail the L2/U2 discussion...

(Looks like you've up and decided while I was typing this... :) I carry my L2 in an accessible outer pocket of my laptop bag, and I think the U2 will work great in that capacity too.)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older L2 and L4 were the first two LED Surefires I had experience with and based on the ones I handled, their beams are radically diffferent... The L2 had TONS of throw and the L4 was the widest flood LED I'd ever experienced.

I know sometimes Surefire will almost completely change the light with a 'revision change' but based on the ones I had the chance to play with, they were totally dis-similar.

rmacias

Enlightened
go_to_the_light said:
Thanks all for the feedback. I am not planning to carry this in my pocket, but in my briefcase. Looks like I will go with the U2.

The U2 is a nice light but do you really need all of the settings. I own a few L2's and it is an impressive light for the size. I can't see spending so much cash just for 5 levels of light, IMO you only need two. I've heard some people complain that the L2's lower setting is still too bright but with a filter it just right for up close uses.

RJM

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is a great light, but there are a few differences vs the U2:

L2 low level is 4x the output of the U2 low level (which some feel is already too bright).

L2 is about 1/2 in. longer than the U2, but head diameter is less.

U2 can take unprotected 2400 mAH 18650 unprotected cells. Don't think the L2 can. If you ever envision wanting rechargeable capability, this is a nice feature: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=945

U2 has more throw, but L2 has more overall output, based on Flashlightreviews.com's tests

greenLED

Flashaholic
I was convinced I'd get a L4 for the longest time; I was actually saving up for it. Along came the U2 passaround, and... well, I bought myself a U2 for Christmas :D

People say it's "big", but it really isn't that much bigger than a Pelican M6.

As if the multiple brightness settings were not enough, the U2 is the only SF that will fit Pila 168A's (18650 rechargeable li-ons) so you have guilt-free lumens if you'd like! It doesn't get much better than that.

As for the L4, it's still a really nice light, but I would've had to buy a two-stage tailcap to get two (only two!) brightness levels. The L2... can't use rechargeables in it :green: ...that did it for me.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
You guys!! &%!!!%*^$#!!!

After reading the comments in this thread, I had to order a new L2 to add to my existing U2 so I could see the differences myself ... ... ...

I HATE you all!! :hairpull: :D :thanks:

Tom

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both... and the L2 is easier to carry.... but for my future camping visits... i will be keep my U2 very close... since runtime is important to you having the ability to pick the exact output you need will pay off a lot! you can run with 18650 batteries so you can recharge them and always keep your output at high... the L2's throw isn't good at all... at least on mine.... the donut is very visible... my U2 hardly has any donut...

cslinger

Enlightened
After reading the comments in this thread, I had to order a new L2 to add to my existing U2 so I could see the differences myself ... ... ...

I HATE you all!!

You got off easy, cuz I may very well have to order a U2 to compare to my L2. :D