Klarus        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ****AUG 12th 2006 HUMUNGOUS UPDATE**** Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!!

Default Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshots!!!

Ya, I don't have one of those modded CMG's but KnifeBright has a phenominal one. It's got to be the brightest flood I've ever seen. But I'm working on a couple of ideas :Grin:

Also, I just did my first all out complete mod. I swapped in a 35k LED and it is suuuuwweeeeet! It's very similar to that Sexy RR but way nice beam and it's got more throw than the New Arc AAA PREMIUM and way better beam without the angry blue. I'm Stoked! Pictures will follow, I'm just typing here between work projects and have been swamped lately. Hoping to find some time in the next few days.

CromagNet,

Thanks for the beamshots and pics of your "hot" car. Your beamshots make the Fenix look like a fine little flashlight - what is your opinion on that light so far?

NotRegulated: Link no workie

Hi Geode! cute avatar. Thanks for the props

I like the Fenix for the elegant design. It's slim and tough HA3 light that uses a readily available AA battery and gets 4-hours of regulated brightness. What more do you need. I have a L1P but at only 30+ Lumens, it's a shelf queen.

With a fresh Energizer Lithium battery at about 1.9V I was showing 440 LUX @ 1-meter. Using Quickbeams model of the inverse squared law, it calculates to a hotspot that will throw about 68-feet with an underdriven off-white beam. One day soon someone will mod this light and really get it to kick out some photons but probably not with the circuit regulation. When they do I would probably use is as a flood with a LDF UCL.

Lights that I think compare directly are the Q3 which is the same length but a bit fatter with aggresive knurling. It is not regulated nor HA3 tough but you can mod it to over 1800 LUX but an easy reflector mod and battery swap will get you 1350 LUX which is about 120-feet of throw and a much nicer beam than the Fenix.

The Jil DD rev. also compares to the Fenix. It is my personal favorite. It is not regulated but it is HA3 tough. Actualy a very smooth and easy to EDC hard and tough finish. When using a primary CR2 battery it puts out 550 LUX for 20 hours to 50% brightness! Toss in a better reflector (now called UP version) and run it with a rechargable LiON and you get a whopping 1050+ LUX and a very nice white even beam.

Orb Raw is another direct comparison that is similar to the Jil but no HA3. I like to EDC the RAW because mine is a Ubin and is fun to whip out to show friends when it's nice and dark outside for full effect. I'm even always impressed when I have a fully charged battery. I'd like to get a hi/lo mod to extend my runtime though.

There are more single cells to compare but they are more expensive. I highly recommend Lambda's MiniPro in a MiniMiniMag (Single AA) which can make a great flood or a good thrower with over 2000 LUX and you can use ordinary AA or LiON rechargables at any time. Plus you get a kewl looking cutdown Magmod.

The Fenix is a good solid light and regulation makes the best of its battery usage. In the end it's personal preference and how you will mostly be utilizing this light. For me, right now, it's the Jil DD UP and I have the Chrome one coming

Quote Originally Posted by CromagNet

MyKall:

The 3W Solitaire was originally made by SK2 but was being sold by another nice dude and it pretty much unobtainum at this time. Unless someone wants to part with theirs.

I have another modded Solitaire that I will post in a couple of weeks. It uses a 1W Lambda creation called the MiniPro. It takes a lot of modification to pamke it fit into the small... tiny solitaire but almost as bright as the SK2 3W.
    Thanks,

I'd like to see that when you get a chance.

MB

I like the Fenix for the elegant design. It's slim and tough HA3 light that uses a readily available AA battery and gets 4-hours of regulated brightness. What more do you need. I have a L1P but at only 30+ Lumens, it's a shelf queen.
    I'm sorry for my ignorance...but what does the F1P conversion consist of?

I'm sorry... where do you see a reference to an 'F1P conversion'?

Flashaholic

Thanks for the beam shots. With all due respect. I for one do not get a lot out of beam shots against the wall. I find it does not give me much information. I wonder why people do it? In person I find it helpful, but when looking at pictures, I do not. I think the camera setting has something to do with it. Anyway, thanks again.

I'm sorry--I told you I was ignorant!

The label on th Fenix light in the first photo says "F1P," then in the quote above there is reference to the L1P not being as bright (I think).

Is the F1P a stock Fenix light? Or is it a conversion?

Nana Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshots!!!

Ok! Here's a little teazer for ya's. I snapped a shot of the upcoming shootout and I might redo some of the other pics to show the differences more accurately. Remember, I'm just testing my new camera and having some flashaholic fun at the same time

Here are the lights from Left to Right
    McLux TK 1w, TnC KeyLux N, Peak AAA SS 3 LED, Solitaire MicroPill 1w, sk2 Solitaire 3w, Dorcy AAA 35K mod, NEW version Arc AAA-P, Old Arc AAA-P CPF Edition, Arc AA soon to be modded 3w, Fenix L1P 1w, mmmMag MiniPro McFlood, mmmMag MiniPro 20mm, Jil DD rev TYOJ, Raw Ubin, Groovy! TYAH POP2GX LDF

I might have the TnC modded for the new LiON 4.2v N-cell battery soon

Many more comparison photos up coming. Maybe even the NANO if it gets here.

PS Here's a quickie from the beach...

Thumbs up Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Nerve
    Thanks for the beam shots. With all due respect. I for one do not get a lot out of beam shots against the wall. I find it does not give me much information. I wonder why people do it? In person I find it helpful, but when looking at pictures, I do not. I think the camera setting has something to do with it. Anyway, thanks again.
    Hang in there OpticN. I'm still getting accustomed to the camera. What I hope to show is the relative brightness, hotspots, widths and overall beam quality. I'm also adding LUX reading at 1m along with approximate distance of throw measurements. I'll definately be adding some hall shots or maybe some outdoor shots if they work. Lots more to help me get better with my camera and have fun showing people some neat lights.

NOTE: The F1P L1P thing was a typo. I have the Fenix L1P 1w and since it is one of the first offered on CPF I'm guessing it's a 2.0, whatever that means. Nice light though. I has its little niche among all these lights and even some two battery setups. BTW... Check the fenix website for more detailed specs

Default Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshots!!! Teaser

See... there's just something alluring about that little $6 River Rock, isn't there... You must have over $1,000 of lights in that last pic but you felt compelled to use the cheapie River Rock for your artistic shot.

Sexy, I'm tellin' ya!
    Last edited by cratz2; 11-02-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Party Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!

Here are te beamshots as promised. I think I'm getting a much better understanding of my new Camera. For anyone that wants to know it's the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 8.5MP http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/

I saved these pics as 500DPI cropped down to about 800x450pixel. The lighting and colors are unaltered and are an excellent representation of what the LED colors and beams look like in real. Though this might not be as evident in the up close beam comparison but these show the relative strength and some visual hotspot/corona comparison as well. The hall shots clearly identify what the more powerful of the group look like at a 12ft distance.

I did two sets of lights, ones using one primary single cell running about 1.5v and ones using a single rechargable lithium-ion cell about 4.2v and all cells in all lights were new or fully charged.

Camera was set at F4.9 with 2sec exposure for primary cell hall shots while the LiON shots where at F4.9 1/200sec with all lights held about 5-inches directly to the right of the camera lens.

You might remember me mentioning that the Fenix L1P 1w has a Niche in these light shootouts and here is where I demonstrate this by using it as a benchmark light for setting exposure levels. For LiON cells it was used as the lowest setting mark and for Primary cells it was used as the highest exposures to help aid in comparing lights.

First a round up of the lights in this shootout

Here is the lineup with LUX reading all at 1-meter distance

Fenix L1p 1w - 440 LUX
    Jil DD rev 3w - LiON 1050 LUX - Primary 520 LUX
    Orb RAW Ubin UYOJ - LiON 1600 LUX - Primary ???
    MiniPro 3W TWOJ 20mm - LiON 2000 LUX - Primary 950 LUX
    MiniPro McFlood - LiON 190 LUX
    McLux TK 1w - 60 LUX
    Arc AAA CPF - 21 LUX
    Arc AAA-P New rev - 48 LUX
    Arc AA - 38 LUX
    Dorcy AAA stock - 48 LUX
    Dorcy AAA 35K mcd - 100 LUX
    Peak SS Matterhorn 3 LED - low LUX
    Groovy! TYAH LDF flood - LiON 560 LUX (Just realized I forgot to include this light. Maybe I can do a few shots on the same settings later)

Enjoy

Fenix, Jil, RAW (Primary)

Fenix, Arc AA, McLux TK 1w

Fenix, Peak Materhorn, Arc AAA CPF

Fenix, Dorcy, Dorcy 35K

Fenix, new Arc AAA-P, Dorcy

Fenix, new Arc AAA-P, Dorcy 35K

Fenix, Solitaire 3w, new Arc AAA-P

Here come the Lithium-ion batteries...

Fenix, Jil DD, RAW

Fenix, Solitaire 3w, MiniPro McFlood

Fenix, RAW, MiniPro 20mm

Here are the hall shots 12 ft away from the Snellen eye chart

This first one is the Fenix as an over exposed benchmark to allow the weaker lights using primary cells to expose the eye chart.

Fenix Primary

RAW primary for a long runtime

Jil DD using primary for long runtime

New Arc AAA-P

Dorcy AAA 35K mod

Stock Dorcy AAA

Arc AA

Arc AAA CPF

Discontinued PEAK Materhorn 3LED

McLux TK 1w

Solitaire 3w LiON (primary cell camera setting) This is almost what it actually looks like in the hall.

Here is the start of a new benchmark using the Fenix for the Lithium Ion cell shots

Fenix Benchmark on Primary cell

MiniPro McFlood LiON

Jil DD LiON

MiniPro 3w 20mm MagMod LiON

RAW Ubin LiON
    Last edited by CroMAGnet; 11-03-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Default Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!!

Great job, Tony. Fantastic pics and excellent presentation
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

Thanks Big J!! I really like the Groovy! but I forgot to add it so hopfully I'll have some time to do a few more shots.

Are you up for a USL BBQ roast this weekend? JD has some time too.

Great Job... now where's that mailman with my Fenix!

Are you up for a USL BBQ roast this weekend? JD has some time too.
    I'm good to go - just got my extra bulbs. PM me when and where - anywhere is okay with me. If we do my house, you guys have to put up with the mess as usual.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

Thumbs up Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!!

Wow, awesome pictures (The side lit line-up is wallpaper worthy) and excellent comparisons! These shootouts need to be linkable from the ledmuseum and flashlightreviews.com.

Edit: Whoops, missed the post about the solitaires.
    Last edited by phatalbert; 11-04-2005 at 05:21 PM.

lol

Talking Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!!

Hehe... Some more single cell goodies from the McGizful one.

Here is an Aleph Series with an NG1000 3W TWOK LE and BB400 5W WX1S
    Aleph1 3600 LUX at 1 meter
    Aleph2 2600 LUX at 1 meter
    Aleph3 5500 LUX at 1 meter
    Aleph A19 450 LUX at 1 meter

A3 and A1

A2 and A19

More beamshots with the Fenix for reference.

Fenix vs Aleph3

Fenix vs Aleph1

Fenix vs Aleph2

Fenix vs Aleph A19

Last edited by CroMAGnet; 12-08-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Cool Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!!

You know, everyone has a dream light, and that Aleph 1x123 is mine, and has been. I hear it throws like a new KL3... is this true?

-David

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo
    You know, everyone has a dream light, and that Aleph 1x123 is mine, and has been. I hear it throws like a new KL3... is this true?

-David
    I guess it would depend on the head you pick. The A3 is over 5000 LUX and throws great. The A2 is a bit more floody but seems to have similar throw to the A1 Not sure why. Maybe I'll triple check those reading of 2600 LUX But the A1 is more in between the A2 and A3 as far as throw. I think the beamshot demonstrate this well though.

EDIT: I double checked my LUX readin and yes the A1 has 3600 LUX at 1-meter as it should.
    Last edited by CroMAGnet; 12-08-2005 at 11:41 AM.

Flashaholic

Do you know of any posts with photos of some of the 1 cell Alephs next to a PD? If not, when you have time would you be able to post such a photo?
    Thanks,
    Ned
    John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Flashaholic*

How about adding the Raw NS, FF3 and CR2 Ion to the beamshot comparison "party" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    How about adding the Raw NS, FF3 and CR2 Ion to the beamshot comparison "party" ?
    Good idea! I can get the RAW NS and I have the CR2 ION and a few other too...

soon...

:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

where Could I find that 3W solitaire...or at least the parts to mod it?

[]D [] []V[] []D MY $0lt41r3!

Flashaholic*

Yes! FanFreakin'-Tastic!

Quote Originally Posted by CroMAGnet
    Good idea! I can get the RAW NS and I have the CR2 ION and a few other too...

soon...

Flashaholic*

Yeah, that Solitaire mod is amazing..... from a $5 flash light... gotta love it... but how much for the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
    :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

where Could I find that 3W solitaire...or at least the parts to mod it?

[]D [] []V[] []D MY $0lt41r3!

Faint ****AUG 4th 2006 HUMUNGOUS UPDATE**** Re: Single Cell Shootout Beamshot Party!!!!!

MORE BEAMSHOTS!! This time tiny lights make big beamshots

Here's some of the line-up.

Solitaire 3W mod - Fenix L0P - Arc AAAp - THE Larry Light Ncell - THE Draco uPIC Prototype - CR2 Ion - Peak Shasta - TnC Keylux N Cell

Here's a picture of the yard. The hedge is almost 40ft away.

And last but not least!

Last edited by CroMAGnet; 08-04-2006 at 09:24 PM.

can't change the title.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast