Gladius - Channel 3 feels a bit rough

login01

Newly Enlightened
Even though I own several Surefires, I love the concept of the Gladius. I was pretty upset at first to discover it was not working very well. I signed onto this forum hoping to find trouble-shoot info. I was frustrated to find out, after the fact, how snug the tail-cap has to be for it to operate reliably. Once done, no problems encountered afterward. My question has to do with the tail-cap push button. On channel 1 and 2, the button is very smooth. But, on channel 3, it feels a bit rough, as if it is catching on something inside. Is this normal?

To all you LEOs out there, you really need to get your hands on one and try it out. From the enginnering to the ergonomics to the utility, this is a magnificent instrument - very high praise.

I appreciate all feedback.

Deputy X. Ruiz #1655
Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a gladius but why don't you try to contact blackhawk? Ken J Good stands by his products and I would trust him to make it right by you.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I'm checking out the one I have right now, and all 3 channels feel exactly the same.

I also suggest you contact Ken. He's a member here ...

Tom

kukula

Enlightened
Hello login01 and welcome to CPF!

I own a black Gladius and I must say I am completely happy with it. This is actually the first time I have heard about a similar problem like what you mentioned. By channel 3, I reckon what you meant is the programmable mode, am I right? Anyway checking my gladius now, all channel has a smooth action to it. No rough spots or catching on to something feeling. So IMHO your Gladius is not acting normal. I second Grox's suggestion. Send a PM to Ken Good. He will set your Gladius right in no time

Chris

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will smooth out over time. You can speed the process up by spending a little free time activating and de-activating the switch. It will be quicker than trying to replace it.

Activate the rough channel about 100 times a day and within the week, it will be smooth.

Yes, you can say that you shouldn't have to do that but it is the quickest way to solve your problem. It worked for me.

Jeff

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Login01:

I got your email this morning.

Send me your mailing address and tailcap color and I will get a smoother one out to you. Email: [email protected]

I have had a couple of tailcaps act the same way in Channel 3 for some reason. We are aware of this.

I have been told by the guys smarter than I, the lastest tweaks on the tailcap tooling have addressed this.

On a completely different note - Would have liked to see the Astros at least win a couple of games to make it a series.....:sick2:

Best to everybody....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ken, got a few questions for you. Is there any plans to make a basic version? One without all the programming, so a user can just go straight to burnin' out eyeballs? How about a textured reflector?

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
On a completely different note - Would have liked to see the Astros at least win a couple of games to make it a series.....
sick2.gif

Yes, it would have been nice to see a 6 or 7 game series. But it is what it is, grats Sox fans, you've certainly had to wait a long time to enjoy this day.

I will say this though....my dear Detroit Tigers may not have the most explosive lineup in the majors, but boy, the Astros sure made it look that way for a good portion of the series. Hitting, anyone? :awman:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
KDOG3,

All kinds of plans....:naughty:

Hopefully by SHOT we will be able to have a few more things for distribution!

login01

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your helpful and much appreciated posts.

Extra gratitude to Mr. Good, who is setting a new standard in customer service.

And, a very dear thank you to all the engineers who designed my Gladius. They will never know how much I appreciate them for this miracle of light.

Thank you, all.

Deputy X. Ruiz #1655

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
KDOG3

Believe me I would love to tell everybody...But they have threatened me with flogging if I disclose anything prematurely....:whoopin:

For now I have to be quiet...

All in due time....Problem is I know what is coming and it keeps wanting to spill out of my fingers to the keyboard.....

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
great procucts are 90% of the equation. Great service after the sale is the other 10%

Blackhawk has stood up to the plate and hit a home run.

I had a problem with my first Gladius, got my RMA and shortly thereafter received a new Gladius that is perfect. Brighter,whiter, more annoying strobe,perfect beam. and HAIII.

This light rocks and is with me on duty every night.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Ken,
have the techies now worked out the problem with the tailcap breaking when dropped in lockout? I only ask as I'm interested in whether their will be an option to purchase a revised tailcap in due course?

Doug

celler

Newly Enlightened
I must add my voice to the choir of happy Gladius owners. I have a housefull of SF lights and was encouraged by a dealer I trust to try the Gladius over the SF U2. I can't put the thing down. This light was at my side through Hurricane Wilma and the aftermath. It performed admirably and did the job of at least 3 lights with its multifunction capability. I'll be looking for more products from Night-Ops.

Craig.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Gladius on the way - should be here any time now.
I don't yet know what this "channel" beeswax is, but I'm sure I'll find that out when I receive my Gladius and go through the instructional materials furnished with it. :)

login01

Newly Enlightened
I received my new tailcap. My gladius now works perfectly.

I was working off-duty at the Bedlam Manor haunted house. I was carrying my normal on-duty flashlights: ultrastinger and Surefire M3. Both of these flashlights are great. I didn't want too much light working inside the house, so I grabbed the Gladius and turned down the brightness. Dial-a-brightness is unbelievable utility. And, all of the functions work so quickly and easily. This light is amazing.

Thank you to K. Good for shipping my tailcap so quickly. I have already emailed my thanks to him.

Deputy X. Ruiz