Eternalight: Not impressed

mykall

Enlightened
Am I the only one who is not impressed with the Eternalight line?
I know they supposedly have every feature under the sun
and can be programmed to bark like a dog etc. , but I'm just
not impressed.

First off I don't like "cigarette pack" shaped lights. Second, despite
the claims I just don't see this as being a very rugged light and
its strengths are its weaknesses(or achilles I should say)
as far as all that digital wizzardry etc.

I don't know, I'm sure some people like them, but even if it were
given to me I just could not see myself ever grabbing that light
in ANY situation.

It also reminds me of those 80'sish Polaroid disposable "cigarette PacK"
flourescent lights they used to sell at drugstores. Anyone remeber those?
Their life was short lived as one can imagine. That was back when
Polaroid was trying to "find itself".

MB

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
Do you own one? Sometimes it will take a bit of use to really determine whether something will work for you.

-LT

That is what I found.

I didn't use it much, because I had lights that were much brighter, and not much larger. Plus, when dimmed to certain levels, it has an annoying inductor whine that is remarkably loud.
But my wife found it useful, and stuck it to the fridge. She would grab it for poking around under the sink or outside. She used it to entertain kids and babies.

Well, I placed some of the new Nichia CS LEDs in it...and, WOW! It positively cooks now. I use it much more.
I would like to see one with similar control, but smaller and brighter.

Bob

Geologist

Enlightened
As a big fan of the EL lights -

my first question would be which model you are talking about? The Elite Series are a bit more rugged than the Ergo series or the Derringer. The Elite series (from experience) are very rugged, and the most I would expect to happen under reasonable rough useage would be that the batteries loose contact (say from an extreme fall). The other models are also durable - but the Elite series is one notch above.

As far as the shape - well that is a personal preference. I own a whole buch of the EL lights and I've given them as gifts. No complaints even from my wife (who doesn't quite understand the whole flashlight thing). I still own 5 EL's - 3 see almost daily use (2 @ home and 1 in my briefcase), 1 is in the car, and well the other one is the RAVN2 which is "for fun".

If I could change/add one thing to the EL series, it would be a custom snap on filter that would diffuse the light a bit better when using it as a lamp (would work better for camping and being outside in the evenings).

But to each their own - I am sure there are people that would love to buy the light at the right price - even me!

Good Luck!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
"If I could change/add one thing to the EL series, it would be a custom snap on filter that would diffuse the light a bit better when using it as a lamp (would work better for camping and being outside in the evenings)."
Have you tried the cap from a deodorant stick? Some are about the right size and are frosted.

-LT

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
While I don't use my Derringer alot around the house, it's the first light I pack when taking a trip. Don't care about the blinky modes. It's the three levels of white and two of red plus long life that sold me.

Geoff

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the yellow Marine version, or whatever its called. Its more of a last ditch backup light for me, in case the electricity is out for 2 weeks or something. Like mine just fine, though the springy battery contacts are not robust. I'd like to see a different design on that part. Also would like to be able to replace the batteries without a screw driver.

best regards

fluorescent

Enlightened
I have an ergo marine and a few derringers. I'm not impressed either. I don't like the way that it adjusts/pulses the brightness. Looks like a really fast strobe... if you open one up, it looks like there are just a few dollars worth of parts. I think these were cheaply made in an effort for others to be able to assemble them and resell them for a profit. The 'higher' end models might be different but I'm not about to spend that much to find out...

turbodog

Flashaholic
I agree some with both sides, but will add:

1. if you collect lights that are unique, this is a must have

2. camping or other long-running uses (travel/hotel room/power outage) are where they excel

3. batteries are cheap and easy to find

4. the ability to float is important for some

5. a clip for hat brim use would be nice

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am happy with mine. I use it when traveling, makes an excellent night light when set on low.

Blades

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh man, I can't even list all the reasons why I'm an eternaLight "BELIEVER"!!

Sure I've got other torches for other specific tasks, just as I've got different screwdrivers for different applications. The time for those unique tools may come around and I'll be glad I have that unique screwdriver. One tool just won't do for all jobs.

The main reason I like the eternaLight line is their unique design coupled with practically unequaled runtimes! One of these belongs in every emergency kit!!

I consider myself a "Gadgetaholic" as well as a "Flashaholic" - the eternaLights certainly fit those needs! I think they're the very first light to incorporate Pulse Width Modulation...

I'm not much of a "hotwire" guy - I personally don't have much use for a Surefire G2, High Intensity Discharge lights, Streamlight Stingers, and a number of other lights, that doesn't mean I don't own any - to each his own.

I'd rather have an eternaLight in my emergency kit than any hotwire light (though there are indeed applications where a hotwire torch would be desireable).

Personally, if I could have only one flashlight - I'm fairly certain It would be an eternaLight!!

BTW - Though I really appreciate my eternaLight Elite Max, my favorites are my two Ergo 3 models - one with the red/white option and the other with the green/white option. I've got a CPF edition on the way due to it's ability to easily change the LEDs (due to LED sockets) and program it in any number of ways. I'm thinking of going with yellow & green LEDs hopefully programmed like my Ergo 3 with the green/white option.

Last edited:

mckevin

Enlightened
Gotta go with Sigman here. While my ErgoMarines certainly aren't my most used lights, if I absolutely had to get rid of all but one light I think I would keep my Eternalight...

mykall

Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
Do you own one? Sometimes it will take a bit of use to really determine whether something will work for you.

-LT

Weeellll....I"m not going to spend $49 to find out what I already know. I wouldn't have a problem spending $29-39 on a Fenix though. I just see the Eterna's as more novelties than anything else. You know...the type of light that college kids would play with in the dorms etc.

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I got an Eternalite Ergo Marine for $20 from a recent special deal offered to CPF members. In testing I found.......

When clicked down to one LED the light offers good light and very long runtime.

When clicked to the SOS mode....it can be seen by a Navy or Coast Guard helicopter crew who is cruising by.

The EL has it's uses.

My current EDC is the Fenix L1p.....replacing the Nuwai Q-III.

Alternate views are encouraged.

Steve

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sure do have an odd shape, don't they..
I have a fair collection of lights, thanks to this forum, from tiny to huge..
I own 3 Eternalights, 2 Derringers which are used daily by my kids, their ease of use is amazing and they last forever on a set of cheap batteries.
After aquiring those I decided to step myself up to the flagship EliteMax, it is one light that I would not leave the house without. It has lit up poker games on the boat for countless hours, stays partially lit 24/7 in my house, has been used as a rear light on a 4 hour hay wagon ride, swinging hard against the rear bumper (couldn't tell it has been out of the box),
I personally don't care what the guts are or where they are made or assembled, I do know however that this is one tough light, and has provided light for me in situations where no other light could have survived.
My Sister and brother-in-law both jumped on one after seeing mine in action on the boat, he is far from a flashoholic but good luck finding him without his Eternalight now.
If your looking to blind an intruder then this probally isn't the best choice, but if you need good light for a long time, you may want to reconsider your position.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
While no big eye openers, those lights are perfect for emergency kits or as a ultra-long runtime light when anything else is already out.
They still have their place.
bernie

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
mykall said:
Weeellll....I"m not going to spend $49 to find out what I already know. I wouldn't have a problem spending $29-39 on a Fenix though. I just see the Eterna's as more novelties than anything else. You know...the type of light that college kids would play with in the dorms etc.
Well we're all glad you're content with your reasons. Why do you feel the need to post your "rationalizations" to us? It sounds as if you're looking for someone to either convince you to buy one or to argue about it?

I'm sure you own torches that I'd never even consider purchasing. It's your money, spend it as you see fit...now off to "play" with my flashlights! :ohgeez:

(BTW - If there's someone trying to "force or threaten" you into buying one, please let us know and we'll take care of it!! :poke: )
:popcorn:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
Oh man, I can't even list all the reasons why I'm an eternaLight "BELIEVER"!!

BTW - Though I really appreciate my eternaLight Elite Max, my favorites are my two Ergo 3 models - one with the red/white option and the other with the green/white option. I've got a CPF edition on the way due to it's ability to easily change the LEDs (due to LED sockets) and program it in any number of ways. I'm thinking of going with yellow & green LEDs hopefully programmed like my Ergo 3 with the green/white option.

I have an EL CPF EliteMax and one of the yellow CPF refurbs. They are nice enough with good runtime. Odd, but I agree with pretty much everything posted so far. But please tell me... What's up with the fascination/usablity purpose of the colored leds or mixing them?

PS Pydpiper... that's pretty impressive!

billgr

Newly Enlightened
Say mykall....if your neighborhood lost power for 14 days like florida is now experiencing, what light that you now own would work and last for those 14 days? i'm talking 24/7 here.

i almost never use my 2 eternal lights. BUT they are filled with liths and ready to go for an extended(7-28 day) power outage.

why 2? in emergencies: 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the one I have even though I don't use it much. Mostly it sits quietly in my briefcase and goes where I go. If I should ever find myself in a blackout situation I'm sure I'll fall in love with it.

Latest posts