SureFire 3P Replacement Lamp Assembly?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

My very first SureFire was a 3P. It is basically the same as a 6P but only takes 1 battery. I dropped it one day about 10 years ago, broke the bulb, and that was it -- end of EDC. (Money was tight then and lamp assemblies cost too much.) Then I lost it. Very, very sad :(

But I just found it! I was looking for some other stuff, and found where I had carefully stashed the little guy. Very happy :)

Except for one thing -- his little eyeball is still "poked out."

Anyone know of a replacement lamp? The original is an R30 lamp assembly. I would like to go LED though, something like the Bugout Gear dropin. The light would be great to stash for emergencies, etc.

Ideas?

Scott

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/surrepbulfor.html

Looking at Film Tools website and browsing the internet. It looks like your 3P uses a headlamp assembly (at first I thought it was an E1e's MN01 bulb, so I looked into it and proved myself incorrect.)

I would say Bugoutgeat.com's 3Watt drop in. I had one in a G2 and found it nice.

Stashed away with a few CR123's should hold you over, or EDC it and if you use it often, use a RCR123 (4.2 volts vs. 3V on primary.)

Jason

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the Bugout Gear 3W dropin will work in a 3V light.

The 3P is a cool light. You might want to keep it original.

Paul is correct. The G&P 30 lamp assembly will work as will the Digilight DRB-3VHP. It will give you more output than the SF R30 and cost about $15.

Original SF R30's are available they just cost way too much IMO.

Mark

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
The 3P is a cool light. You might want to keep it original.

That is one thing I am considering. I had purchased several 6Ps for others around that time, but never spent the money on myself. I carried a Sunbrite Industries light which was a good light, just not a SureFire. Getting the 3P was a real treat -- just the right size and just the right brightness.

Thanks guys, for all the responses.

Scott

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Hi Scott:

Be sure to clean all the threads, male and female, on both ends. Then lube with your favorite silicone based dielectric grease. I know the R30 lamp assembly is very sensitive to any added resistance. Just found that out with an old 3BL.

oldgrandpajack

PS: I put the second o-ring and Z49 tail cap on the end of my 3BL. It's a great little flashlight. Built like a battleship. :)

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that that lamp assembly is still available from Surefire. If I remember correctly, Size15's replied to a post a while back and mentioned that the lamp assembly was still available because it is still used in Surefire's older weapons lights.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. The 310R, still used by LAPD SWAT on their 1911's, takes the R30. I made a 3P clone out of an L30 weaponlight lamp module, a hacksawed A19, and a clickie tailcap....
(http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=79878)

I've been looking for a good LED mod for it recently as it's a GREAT size for personal use, and still has that cool classic Surefire look, but the R30 output plummets pretty quickly.

Lighthound has a 3W drop in. Still don't know how that would work. Maybe with a rechargeable cell?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
RCR123 will work with one one cell and 3 watt led drop in, but not to specs, as best range is from 4.5- 9.0 volts. Maybe someone could mod a drop in to work efficently at lower voltage. I have tried in my SF 6P with a SF dummy cell.

Bill

lerdsu

Newly Enlightened
I'd actually be really interested in how that combination works as well. I've got an old 3p sitting around with no lamp assembly and don't want to see it go to waste.

rikvee

Enlightened
my 3P has the 5W drop-in module, expensive, and with an R123 it's even better (whiter, better hot spot) than my TW4 (KL4/E1e), and quite cute in it's own stubby way :)

Since the G&P drop-in comes with it's own bezel, I can keep the original in a box, 'cos it is a bit of a museum-piece by now...

Last edited: