Cateye Triple Shot

gessner17

Enlightened
Well, my Triple shot came in the mail today. I must say, it is a fine piece of equipment, very sturdy, very bright and very well made. It appears the LED's are wired in series. The battery pack is 12 volts, then there is a small black box that says "700ma" so I am guessing they are pushing 700ma through these..at somewhere close to 4V. Does anyone know if it is easy to replace the LEDs on these? There are 4 screws on the front, but I haven't tried taking them out yet. Anyone had any experience with these?? I'm curious what BIn they used, I'm pretty sure there are 3 stars sitting in there.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I have one of these also. Very nice setup. LEDs are not Stars - just emitters bonded directly to housing for heat dissipation. They are in fact wired in series. There is also a black plastic piece that fits over all three emitters and is held with two screws. Removing this reveals that the lead connections to LEDs are coated with some sort of black sealer/glue. It doesn't look like it would be at all easy to replace the LEDs, or at least not without possibly destroying them.

I should mention at this time that this thing kicks butt in terms of light output and beam smoothness compared to any other LED light I've personally seen. I don't have another 3 x LuxIII light to compare it to, but I'm suitably impressed with it. LEDs seem well matched in tint and brightness as well.

Though I sent email to Cateye corporate with a few specific questions, I never received a reply. I'm guessing that the LEDs are indeed current regulated at 700mA due to the fact that the light does not seem to dim over time. I will eventually rig an ammeter in series between the the head unit and battery to confirm this.

Enjoy your light - John