My KL3 Gen2 came apart.......

edison

Enlightened
I was playing with my Surefire KL3 Gen2 head and it came unscrewed. I've been experimenting with an extra bezel for a 4AA SL PP Lux since I found that it is a good tight fit on the end of the KL3. I cut one down a little in length to get rid of the plastic window and make it a little more compact. I've found that it gets rid of the ring artifacts. It may even intensify the spot since that light has to go somewhere, but I don't have a lux meter so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, since it's such a tight fit I twisted it to remove it and felt the bezel ring unscrewing. I turned it until it came off and the optic and domed window came out.

I won't be able to post any pictures until tomorrow. I can say that it doesn't look too difficult to replace the emitter; there's a little retaining plate covering it held in place by two little screws. At least they look like screws, probably the hex head type. If everything would still work without this plate in the way a reflector could probably focus properly. With it installed there isn't enough room around the emitter.

It looks like you could fit a pretty large diameter reflector in there. :naughty:

Without the optic it makes a completely smooth and round flood beam.

Flashdark

Enlightened
WARNING TO ALL:

Gentlemen:

I have learned the hard way that it is a real bad idea to repeatedly take a filter cover off of a light by using a counterclockwise motion (which would be our normal tendency). This action has a marked tendency to "UNSCREW" a loosely-attached head!!! I have unscrewed 2 E-heads and an L-6 head in this manner. I now "push" an F-series filter off of a light by pushing up on the cover's hinge, and I am very careful and mindful when I remove an FM-series filter (which almost "requires" a counterclockwise motion on the locking tab). You can normally "feel" this beginning to occur and stop your action in time. Just be mindful of the possibility and you should be ok in the future.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.