Running a Lux3 on a Minimag... heat Q's

legtu

Enlightened
Would a minimag have enough mass/heat capacity to run a lux3 at full spec(700ma)?

Given that the LED has a good thermal contact with the flashlight body:
- at what max current would you run the LED while it's in candle mode?
- when holding the light, can we run the LED with current higher than 700ma continuously?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a theorhetical question or are you genuinely interested?

I think for reall world use, with that small of a reflector, I'm not sure the additional output you'd get out of running it at full spec vs. running it a bit lower would make a whole lot of sense... know what I mean?

I mean, I hate to betray my CPF 'bigger and brighter is ALWAYS better' but my experience has been that the full spec running mostly pays off with better throw and I just don't think you're ever going to get stunning throw out of a Minimag.

Having said that, I eagerly await the responses concerning heat.

legtu

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Is this a theorhetical question or are you genuinely interested?

With the availability of converters and rechargeable li-ion's which can run a lux3 at *any* current we want, I'm trying to decide on whether at which specs can I leave the light running on various conditions without degrading the LED. :)

legtu

Enlightened
Anyone?

Is the minimag capable of handling the heat from lux's with madmax+/badboy converters?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
IMHO...yes

I've not had any problem with any of the modded AA MiniMag that I have done runtime plots on. But realise that heat goes up with increase of amps through the led

Last edited: