Greetings

bruner

Enlightened
Greetings,

Hello all. I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Dan and I'm the proud owner of an ARC flashlight (one of the older ones). It's been on my keychain for a long time now and wearing well.

I was stunned by everyone's collections, creations and modifications. Very, very cool. I had no idea that there was a group interested in this stuff until I was searching google for flashlights.

At lunch today I went to the local Gander Mountain store and looked at some Surefire's. I had no idea that they cost so much. They sure look nice though. I guess I'm a fan of the small, compact style of lights, lights that compare in size and shape to my ARC light.

A quick question... After reviewing previous posts on the subject... Is avatar uploading still on hold?

Thank in advance, and thanks to the moderators for letting me join in.

Dan

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Danno!

Welcome aboard.

The 1st light that got me into this addiction er hobby was the ARC AAA. Like you it is still used and abused and going strong.

Beware of Surefire lights, the're like potato chips, you just can't have one. My 1st SF was an E2D which I purchased in June of 2004. Then over the next 12 months I purchased (in order of appearance); an L2, G2 yellow, G2 green, L4, KL1, one cell body for KL1, E2E-SG, E2O, and a 9P. And of course all of my lights have a holster, battery carrier, and spare lamps where applicable.

If you do decide to take the plunge get an E2e. Very small and very bright. And later on you can add a LED head (KL1 or KL4).

Kelmo

Last edited:

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Hey dan, good to have you at cpf. Have fun and dont buy to many lights(yea right good luck kid).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Surefire G2 - serious bang for the buck. $34, 65 lumens, pretty much indestructible. Great first "real" light.

B@rt

Flashaholic
welcome.gif
:D
As for avatars, we are waiting to be transferred to a permanent box before uploading will be enabled again. ;)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings Dan! Welcome to CPF and I'm sure you'll be here for the long haul if you're like most of us here. And just like KDOG3 mentioned—Get the SureFire G2 as an entry-level HiPo light. Once you do though, there's no turning back. . .

Enjoy!

kukula

Enlightened
Hello Dan and welcome to CPF! Fair Warning: Staying here could be dangerous to your wallet :laughing:

Oh and btw wonder how you can get by with only one light? :thinking: :candle: :naughty: :laughing:

Chris

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo! Welcome.

There are so many crazy folks here that have tons and tons of lights... some will try to convince you to buy this latest light or that greatest light... Some might even try to make you believe you need 100 different lights. It's all nonsense! Why, I just counted them up and I only have 48 and I get by just fine. (Edit - Oops! I lied... I didn't count any Minimags, Minimag clones or coin cell lights... raise than number by about 30.)

Anyway, I think a nice, modest collection comprises three lights: one keychain light (such as your ARC AAA), one larger EDC or every day carry (the Fenix L1P and the Nuwai Q3 would be two prime examples of reasonable cost) and a larger, brighter light (a Maglite modded with a 3 Watt Luxeon would be a great choice).

My very favorite light sort of bridges the gap of the first two - it's an ARC AAA that was modded with a MUCH brighter 1 watt Luxeon LED by a forum member, LED_ASAP. There may be days when you will leave your Fenix or Q3 or Surefire at home for one reason or another, but you will almost ALWAYS have your keys with you and the ARC AAA is basically the ideal host.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Welcome Dan! Please take a few minutes now and then to review the rules & policies at the top of the page and posted at the top of some of the different Forums as "stickies". You may get some of you questions answered before you ever ask them.

Have patience with us! There are some who have been prowling these CPF Halls for years and newer members as well. If you ask a question, it may take a little while before it's answered, or then again - you may get an immediate answer or too many answers...LOTS OF OPINIONS AROUND THESE HALLS!! :D

Enjoy!

bruner

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the friendly welcome and purchase suggestions.

Turns out I do have a small collection started and didn't realize it. In the picture from left to right: ARC original, Solitaire and a PALight.

The Arc is almost worn silver now, I've had it for such a long time. I'm sure everyone here has seen, no scratch that, owns a Solitare. The PALight I got years ago from Brigade Quartermasters (I think). I just visited the PALight website, looks like they've changed the design since I got mine. I think I like the original design better.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what might be next, but I'll have to keep it in the low-cost arena...

I actually found you guys when I was searching on Google for a special light that doesn't seem to exist. I was hoping someone here might be interested enough to try and build it. I'll post my idea as a new message so that the topic is more visible. It's an idea for a "compact flash peripheral - LED light". If that doesn't make sense, I'll explain it better in the new post.

Thanks again,
Dan

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, bruner!

See, right now, you're all into small led lights, and that's just great. Soon you'll move into larger form factors, 2AA, a 3D, something like that. Before you know it, you'll want an incan with some power to it, maybe a lantern. Next thing you know, you'll be hooked on getting more and more, and end up strung out on HID's and custom high-end mods. Sigh.

Enjoy the ride and welcome!

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
bruner said:
I actually found you guys when I was searching on Google for a special light that doesn't seem to exist. I was hoping someone here might be interested enough to try and build it. I'll post my idea as a new message so that the topic is more visible. It's an idea for a "compact flash peripheral - LED light". If that doesn't make sense, I'll explain it better in the new post.

Welcome to CPF!

What exactly is a "compact flash peripheral LED light"?

Something like this?

ionflashlitemini.jpg

flash_lite.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6e68/

http://www.everythingusb.com/ion_flashlite.html

If that's not what you were thinking of, you've come to the right place. There are many CPFers who have made innovative new products, and cool new stuff is introduced here on a regular basis.

4sevens just opened a groupbuy for the Fenix L1 Premium v2.5 flashlight. I strongly recommend you look into it. My Fenix has turned my Arc LS into a shelf queen, and relegated my Nuwai Quantum 3 to glove compartment duty.

bruner

Enlightened
Hookd_On_Photons,

No, that's not it, but that's pretty cool. I'm surprised I haven't seen that before. I'm always visiting "gadget" sites...

I just posted my idea as a new topic in the general flashlight discussion: New Flashlight Idea.

Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts