Big Outdoor Shootout

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi.

As there have been a lot of requests for outdoor "real life" beamshots lately I am trying to be of service. This is a shootout of several common and not so common lights in my backyard.

The target area is a typical and "dirty" set-up, meaning there is some light pollution from a construction building in the background as well as from a far away window of a neighbour and a clear night sky. In addition to that, the target is a dull dark gray and the surroundings a typipcal "'round the house" scenario with items / trees everywhere and a van parked a few meters behind the target for evaluation of depth of field. Distance to target is about 10-12 meters. A dirty set-up was chosen because it represents reality and the performance of our lights in such non-artificial conditions the best way possible.

The lights were held at a height of approx. 1,20 meters by my living light holding apparatus (wife), and the camera was at the same height. Fixed camera setting were used, white balance was set to daylight. No further adjustments have been made. All lights operated in regulation or on fresh batteries. Also, in order to follow the "true life" paradigms, no light meter readings were taken, which also saved me a lot of work :D

The contenders were the following, listed according to their length:

LineUp1.jpg

LineUp2.jpg

LineUp3.jpg

In the pics the lights are named and you get a description of the LED and bin (if known) as well as the drive current in all used modes (if known). SHould you want to know more about a specific light feel free to ask. I left out this info on purpose to avoid cluttering the thread with stuff you already know by heart.

The beamshots appear darker in those pics than they are in reality. This is caused by the limited dynamic range of the camera sensor and in order to avoid overexposing the brighter lights.

Here we go ... the lights appear in the same order as pictured above:

OutdoorJIL.jpg

JIL 1.3

OutdoorArcLSR2H.jpg

Arc LS modded R2H / 363mA / so17xa

OutdoorAleph2500mAUX1K.jpg

Aleph2 UX1K NG500 on 1xCR2

OutdoorMcLuxIII-PD.jpg

McLuxIII-PD (UX1K) 580/30mA

OutdoorL1LuxV.jpg

L1 head modded LuxV BB600 on 1x123 (is less than 600mA!!)

OutdoorFenix.jpg

Fenix L1P 2.0

OutdoorLedLenserVQuadrat.jpg

LedLenser V² AAA

OutdoorX3T750mA.jpg

McLux-PR X3T BB750

OutdoorAleph3750mATY0Y.jpg

Aleph3 TY0J NG750 on Li-Ion

OutdoorE2D.jpg

SF E2D (MN03)

OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

Aleph1 TW0K SDC1000

OutdoorL4.jpg

SF L4

OutdoorAleph19400mALuxV.jpg

Aleph19 LuxV 400mA

OutdoorA2.jpg

SF A2

Outdoor23LEDTorch.jpg

23LED-Torch, 3-levels (from Emilion IIRC)

OutdoorMMClone.jpg

MiniMag Clone

OutdoorU2level2.jpg

OutdoorU2level4.jpg

OutdoorU2level6.jpg

SF U2 on levels 2 / 4 / 6

OutdoorHD45-3low.jpg

OutdoorHD45-3high.jpg

HD45 UX1K Wiz2x2 950/150 on low and high

OutdoorHD45-5low.jpg

OutdoorHD45-5high.jpg

HD45 WX1S NBBx2 700/150 on low and high

OutdoorKL3Gen2.jpg

SF KL3 gen2 on C2

OutdoorLedLenserMagic.jpg

LedLenser Magic

OutdoorAleph3917mALuxV.jpg

Aleph3 LuxV DB917 on 4x123

OutdoorL6-P.jpg

SF L6-P

That's it, thanx for looking.

I won't post comments as the differences in beam shape, color and performance regarding throw and flood capacities of the different lights are rather obvious.

bernie

vic303

Enlightened
Thanks! That really does give a good idea of how different lights perform in the real world.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Thanks a lot for those enlightening shots. =) As vic303 says, it is nice to see how they perform in practice and not just on paper.

-Brad

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Bernhard, do you ever get asked by any of your neighbors as to why you are always lighting up the neighborhood?

:nana:

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent pics bernie!

They really show how much more light a decent Lux V puts out compared to a Lux 3, despite what lightmeter readings might say.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling, thanks so much for all the work. It's very informative.

Anybody using Internet Explorer can do a side-by-side beamshot comparison by just bringing up this thread, doing a CTRL-N to start another session, make sure it's not maximized, and drag it to the right. You can switch between the IE sessions with ALT-TAB.