Longbow still worthy for...?

UWAK

Enlightened
Do you think the Longbow Micra OD w/twisty still worthy for 80 USD? Thx.

Frids.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Longbow Micra is a nice-looking, high quality light, but the Fenix has similar output and size, better run time, for about 1/2 the price, plus uses a common AA battery.

The Peak Caribbean has significantly more output and run time, at a smaller size for only $15-20 more.

jrblack

Newly Enlightened
i have the longbow mini and thought the fit and finish is top quality and the light is built like a tank i got sick of the pathetic output of the 1watt standard head and dumped many dinero into a mcapsule and pr head. the result is an impressive light with great looks and great throw but i have 180 bucks in this light now. i liked the fact you could put a pocket clip on it by utilizing the 1/4 " threaded hole in the clicky switch housing and thus carry the light bezel down in the pocket . for some unknown reason there are not many lights that allow this type of carry . so is it worth it? i like the design of the lights but the company needs to get up to speed with their light engines or they will soon go out of business . i wanted to creat a home mod and didnt mind spending the bucks . most will not want to do this

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta agree with jrblack. They need better output. A reflector alone would make a big difference, and a better lens wouldn't hurt. The good news is that a IMS17 or McR18, and a UCL are easily installed.
The lights themselves are the stoutest and most well-built that I've seen, bar none.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
I second that!

jrblack & Owen are right on the money (no pun intended :).

I have a micra with clicky that I liked before the McCapsule. I now have a micra I love after the McCapsule. I bought mine (black) for a bit cheaper with clicky, but I was lucky.

Sincerely,

Shaman

UWAK

Enlightened
Thank you guys. I just loved the look of this one cell light. But the Fenix really got my interest... but I will wait some time to let the performance tested by time. God bless you all.

Frids

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened
if you want to have adurable & tough one,choose lb micra about usd 65black color.

micra can be used rechargable li 123a .

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
I got one a few years back, and it has served me incredibly well. Having said that however, it is a little past it's prime now.

There are probably a few other lights that cost the same or less, and have at least the same performance and features as the Longbow. For example, those that have been mentioned earlier in the thread, and also perhaps the Inova T1.

:)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
UWAK said:
Do you think the Longbow Micra OD w/twisty still worthy for 80 USD? Thx.

Frids.
They are only $55 now at Longbow Gear and that is with the clickie.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont even think they are worth $55. I have one with clicky and it is NOT THE LEAST BIT RELIABLE. Just not worth it... buy a Fenix.

-David

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
I dont know. I had a clicky, and it worked very well. I think i remember you getting replacements, chepo. Maybe your tailcap was accidently over-anodized?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
no.... I mean the clicky switch didnt work, and yes, I eventually did get it replaced, but then a few weeks later.... it went out... now I can only use it as a twisty, and even then it doesnt work.

-David

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroll sucks, but the twisty rocks..
There's the Mc18 reflector for it as well as the McCapsule, so it's a nice..but expensive host

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not for me. As said above, the Longbow is past its prime in terms of output. I can't say anything bad about construction quality though; its built well.

An HDS Ultimate 60 is now my 1 X CR123 light.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
My twisty micra was the 1st really high quality torch I ever owned, and was a revelation at the time - bright, beautiful beam, flat regulation, magnificently built etc etc.

My only gripe was that I didn't like having to feed it CR123s. Luckily for me the Fenix came along with most of the good points of the micra and the bonus of using cheapo AA batteries.

I still use the micra occasionally, but more for nostalgia's sake - I think it's pretty much superseded now. I certainly wouldn't pay $80 for one.

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened
as a ''supplier'' & ''end-user'' of longbow, i think the quailty of stuff is very good.
especially the surface coating type iii .
it is designed to be use in extreme condition such as stress ,& high depth of water for diving .
the output is similar to that of t2 .
but under the stiff competition ,longbow should reduce its wholesales price . its retailing price should be about usd 55-60 .
now,both my q3 & longbow micra are being used rechargable 123a,3v cell ,so cells expense is not a problem.
by the way, i should mention is that when you are choosing fenix l2(aax2),plse consider the longbow eco (aax2) .
longbow 5w (123ax3) is quite bright with boosted head but it cannot be use rechargable cells .
mail:[email protected]

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to put my Longbow Micra on the shelf as part of my "piece of history" collection when I decided to get a PR head from SS for it out of pure curiousity. I must say, I had a new found respect for the little light. Switching from the optic to the McR-27 reflector completely changed the light and it's output. Next up is a McCapsule with a TX0H or UW0K (haven't decided) and NG board. Oh and I still have the twistie on it. Cost-wise it may not be worth it, but the end result is.

Summary: Added a PR head and the light has gone from "on the shelf" to a veritable EDC.

:grin2:
-DF

Last edited:

Eric_M

Enlightened
Still love my Micra. Added the reflector and UCL kit from flashlightlens.com and it's great. Always had the twisty, never the clicky so I can't comment on that aspect.

It's my night stand light along side the gladius.

Eric

Last edited: