Help me pick out a single cell Luxeon under $50. Nuwai vs Nexxtech

warpdrive

Enlightened
Ok, looking around I've found two Luxeon lights that I can source easily (I'm in Canada).

First of course is the Nuwai Q-3, which I can buy for around $45 CAD+7 shipping ($40 USD). I was all set to order one of these when I spotted one of these.

The Source/Circuit City sells this Nexxtech Luxeon III single cell for $50 CAD (no shipping).
What is this exactly? Is it just another Nuwai made light? The body is different, and I can drive down to the store and have it right away.
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Flashlights_Luxeon&product=6119048

6119048l.jpg

Anything else I don't know about? I just want something bright, pocketable (would carry in my "European carry all"/purse), at least semi-regulated

Any opinions? Should I just buy the Nexxtech?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the Radio Shack retail version of Nuwai's Q3.
The differences between it and the original Q3 are only cosmetic on the outside. I don't know anyone who has this version of the Q3 so I'm not sure if there are any performance differences between the 2 models.
I seem to remember it originally listing for $69.99CDN.
The very latest Q3's have a updated driver board that sends more current to the 3 watt led than the older model so if you prefer more brightness with reduced runtime then you may want to hold out for this latest version.

warpdrive

Enlightened
thanks....The price is close to being the same but I'll just go for the Nuwai Q3 then since nobody seems to know how well those Nexxtech's perform. And while I am at it I can order a couple of cheap batteries too.

onthebeam

Enlightened
The Q 3 is just terrific. However, I now find myself reaching for the Fenix L1P almost every time over the Nuwai. It's thinnner, slightly shorter and fits in a pants pocket much more easily. Also has a tougher finish if you plan to have it rubbing up against keys, etc. 4sevens is about to announce a new group buy on it.

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
Are you gonna use it alot? A 2 pack of Duracell CR123 batteries for the nexxtek is $15.99 CAD last time I checked at Wallmart. It would be a few dollars cheaper to get the Nexxtek because of shipping and duties/taxes. You can get a nano charger and some recheargeable 4.2V RCR123 batteries for this light from member here named AW. This will bring the cost of running that light to nothing. The rechargeable will make it brighter but it will have less run time.

On the otherhand the Fenix uses cheap common AA batteries available anywhere in the world.

Check out these reviews:

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/fenixl1p.htm

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/quantum3.htm

Tactical Sponge

Newly Enlightened
I've used the NexxTech light but I haven't used a Q3 so I can't compare them directly. It has a tight hotspot with a wide flood. The beam looks comparable to the one here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

Since you're in Canada, one of the best places to get a Q3 is from www.j2ledflashlight.com. CR123 batteries are cheap there.

I wrote about this in my first post but the thread seemed to die just before I posted. At a local Future Shop, I saw a small selection of Dorcy lights. One of them looked similar to the Q3 and costs around $45 CDN. But I would prefer to get a Q3 from j2ledflashlight along with a supply of batteries.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Enlightened
haha.....gonna get me a Fenix L1P too. I'll compare them and see which one I want to carry with me all the time, and keep the second one in the car or house.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
$19.95 a pair! Are you kidding me? Just a couple hours agin, I picked up a pair of Xenon flashlights with 4 123 cells for $20.

That's crazy!

freedom

Newly Enlightened
I would choose the Q-III instead of the Nextorch. I have both of these two lights. Both are great lights but the Q-III is much more reliable.

evanlocc said:
Try on the Fenix L1 series, if you like the common AA size battery!

Yes! I got mine just a few days ago from another nice CPF member Kiu. I just love it, so as my wife, who isn't a flashaholic though.

warpdrive

Enlightened
evanlocc said:
Try on the Fenix L1 series, if you like the common AA size battery!

I am....4sevens just shipped out one for me...I'm thinking the Fenix may be a better carry-with-me light since I can keep it with me in my "European Carry All" and it has a smoother body for quicker deployment. I'll just keep my new QIII as around the house task light.

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened
i think both are same .
q3 is actually produced by sk taiwan,factory is in china.

if you buy q3 ,i think tm-301x-3(123ax2)is much better .
1)2 stages(low & high)
2) higher output ,similar to inova 3