:-O Family Flashlight Intervention! :-O

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
I came home from a long sunny motorcycle ride Saturday, and when I came into the living room...
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif
... there were most of my flashlights all stacked up on the dining table! I guess the time had finally come for a
crying.gif
crying.gif
Family Flashlight Intervention!
crying.gif
crying.gif

I had some close relatives visiting and I had given a young boy some friendly advice about prioritizing expenditures, you know - the idea that if you didn't spend your spare cash on candy and soda every day, but saved it instead, you could eventually buy really cool stuff that you can keep forever!
thumbsuponly.gif
smile.gif
thumbsuponly.gif

Well, I understand that after I left, his Mom was telling him that I may not be the best example of a wise, saving individual. Something about how the minute I gather an appreciable amount of money I blow it on something stupid, like, just for example,

**** Mom: "Do you have any idea how many _flashlights_ he owns?!?"

**** Boy: "No, what do you mean?"

**** Mom: "Let's collect all the flashlights we can find, and you'll see what I mean!"

. Flashlights Stacked on Dining Table
.And now I'm home, and when I look up from the table, they have the "very concerned" expression on their faces, and the Mom brought up the topic I had talked about earlier, concerning prioritizing expenditures!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

First, I explained that the River Rocks were bought as gifts, but then again that's what I had said about a lot of the Pelicans I still have!
eek.gif
Then I reasoned how this is years and years of accumulation, and that technologies change so what was I supposed to do, throw out the older lights just because they have been superseded?
confused.gif
And finally I argued that this was actually a great example of exactly what I was talking about earlier, I mean just look at those cool lights that I have, for all kinds of different purposes, that I have carefully preserved for all these years! (I was particularly proud of this logic!!)
laugh.gif
http://www.pmwf.com/Forum/Icons/****oo.gif
laugh.gif

Anyhow, by now the Mom is laughing her head off, and the Boy is grinning from ear-to-ear! I was probably beet red,
blushing.gif
but I started to understand the situation may not have been as serious as I thought!
laugh.gif
rotf.gif
laugh.gif

Fortunately she let me off the hook.
mistake.gif
I had mentioned to her a thread on the CandlePowerForums, about how the value of all my flashlights may not be covered automatically by my renter's insurance, so I should gather them up and take a documentary picture to get a rider for them.

So she figured she could show her son a bit about me, and help me take the picture at the same time! And they turned it into an Easter Egg Hunt, scouring shelves, drawers and closets looking for flashlights. I have a lot of power failures where I live and have flashlights mounted all over my apartment in plastic clips from Nite-Ize. But being organized I also have a flashlight shelf where they could easily find the mother lode of lumenal paraphernalia!
smile.gif

Anyhow, I thanked them and I took the picture you see above, which will NOT truly allow me document my (really quite minor) accretion. After they left, later that night, I gathered up all the ones they missed (!) and took a picture I will actually use for the insurance!
laugh.gif
rotf.gif
laugh.gif
rotf.gif

Sorry to be so long-winded, it was just such a weird way to end a nice ride!
smile.gif

Take care folks!

- Thomas

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
And my mother says that I have lots of lights... (M*g + Terralux module, weird enegerizer lantern/light pull to make it change thingy mc bob with original bulb, two Saab flashlights both broken with weird lamp and reflector assmebly, weird coast V2 thing with 5 LEDs, one is flickering, weird coast stick light that runs off AAAAs)

greenLED

Flashaholic
...and they were concerned about the 1-2 lights you have? There are weird people in this world... :laughing:

Stream

Enlightened
Way to go on your flashlight collection :thumbsup:, you're my role model now lol

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
DoubleDutch, no I wouldn't say they found any I had forgotten I had, maybe they unearthed a few I hadn't seen in a while.
laugh.gif
I have several mounted on plastic clips from Nite-Ize high up on door frames that I use when the power goes out, so I don't "see" them very often. I had been wondering where the LED Impact light had gone, turns out it was in the door frame clip for my bedroom! http://www.pmwf.com/Forum/Icons/****oo.gif

And although they didn't find them all, I was impressed with how thorough they were, and how neatly they had arranged them on the table. I don't think it was fair to add all those batteries, but I guess they were on a roll!

They found the little grey one on the right that was plugged in a wall socket under a table in the guest room, which I was surprised they noticed.

They even found the 6-cell Maglite that is kept clipped horizontally on my side of the bed-frame, which is hidden by the bed-cover, which impressed me too!
eek.gif

But they missed the Photons I keep hanging from the vehicles rear-view mirrors, even though they found the 5-cell Maglites that are kept next to the drivers seats and the lithium-filled LED lights in the glove compartments. I was surprised they missed the Photons, they dangle right there!
smile.gif

They missed lots of odd lights, that shouldn't count against them too, the Pelican MityMite borescope light in the locked gun bag, weaponlights, and some well hidden emergency lights. And of course they didn't find the three or four that I carry, but you can't blame 'em for that!
laugh.gif
rotf.gif
laugh.gif

- Thomas

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThomasH, that was a great read, and even better pic. Thanks for sharing them.

I've been wanting to photograph my "collection," but am a little afraid to do so. If the picture got out, I'd be kicked, and have "only" the flashlights to keep me warm!

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
and ppl here call me crazy for having 5 lights....
you have eh... infiNiTY!!!

i guess i am gonna save the picture for sure :)

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
Your story is inspiring me to do a round up here. Once I gather them, I better take a picture. Then I should to see what I need to get next................

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
LOL I have such an advantage over you guys (sorta) Im 14 so I dont get a whole lotta money to spend on flashlights so when I do get them I go for absolute top value:laughing: and absolutly no repeats lol.

Navck

Enlightened
assassin337 said:
LOL I have such an advantage over you guys (sorta) Im 14 so I dont get a whole lotta money to spend on flashlights so when I do get them I go for absolute top value:laughing: and absolutly no repeats lol.

Also 14, my mother thinks the nice HDS EDC U60 is a cheap-o 1 dollar construction light thats a scam, with all other lights she sees (Shes only seen the 3mm LEDs + Old incan bulbs... That and my M*G Ministar 2...)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
assassin337 said:
LOL I have such an advantage over you guys (sorta) Im 14 so I dont get a whole lotta money to spend on flashlights so when I do get them I go for absolute top value and absolutly no repeats lol.

Don't kid yourself, being 14 is a major advantage because now you have all those extra years to keep collecting the lights :D. I'm rather young myself, and I once said the same about 'no repeats' but now I have 3 Lux3'D modded mags within reach, and have had to hold myself back from getting another KL4 ;) If it wasnt for the xbox 360 I'd have a EDCU 60 too.

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
You youngens are also lucky to be born in a flashlight eon! When I was 14 there were no Maglites or Surefires or LEDs and so forth. The "coolest" light I had back then was a right-angle olive-drab Boy Scout 2 D light with a PR2 bulb and a chromed slide-switch!
eek.gif
Put out more light than a candle!
laugh.gif

If you wanted a bright light you had to get a carbide miners lantern, oh sheesh what a pain!
thumbsdownonly.gif
Sorry, I'm not even gonna go there!!
vomit.gif

Enjoy! Have fun!

- Thomas

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's certainly a few lights... but you know you can't count them as part of your collection until they're out of the package, right?

And not nearly enough spare bulbs!
nana.gif