Suggest a Pocket LED (AAA or AA)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

This is my first post on this site, but I have been reading for around 2 weeks or so.
I currently have a Maglite Solitaire, which I realize is a piece of junk compared to all the really nice new LED lights.
I am mainly looking to just buy just 1 really nice pocket flashlight to bring with me hiking/camping. The power doesn't need to be super powerful, but I want something that is at least bright enough to light up the inside of a small 2 person tent quite well.
The most important aspect of the flashlight to me is the battery life and weight. I was hoping to get one that had at least 5 hours before it hit 50% power, but one that gets 3 is good enough I guess.
Here are the flashlights that fit the bill:

ARC AAA premium
Peak Matterhorn Ultra 1 LED
Fenix
Gerber Infinity Ultra

Those are the ones that appear to be what I am looking for. I would most definetly buy the ARC AAA (because it is by far the most popular), but I need the light now, and I can't wait for the backorder.
Out of those lights which is the one that would be best for what I need. I like the look of all of them, so that doesn't really matter.

I haven't seen any of these lights in person, but I have seen the Inova X1, and it was VERY powerful!!! Are any of the lights I listed as powerful as it is?

I'm not really looking for a light that shoots a straight beem like the X1, but more a light that has a large spread and can light a larger area (if that makes any sense).

Thanks alot to anyone who reads this long rambling post, and thanks even more to whoever replies.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
I think this topic has been beat to death. Dozens of posts. It really depends on what you want u know. Yes the ARC is good, and the peake is good and many peaple love the fenix and other lights too. They have all con/pro on flood,throw,battery type/life. Size/weight. It really depends on what you want. And if you want it now, you can buy an arc off ebay or go with another light that is GREAT also. I have a 3 led AA Peak and its really cool. Not a lot of flood though.

For flood and overall good light, please check out the Dorcy 1 led AAA at walmart for 6 dollars. You could get that today, until you decide with a higher end light, but the Dorcy rocks for the price.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got all save the Fenix, and the Gerber Infinity Ultra would give you the best run time by far, due to it using an AA instead of an AAA battery (nearly three times the Mah capacity).

The Fenix also uses an AA, but using a luxeon gives shorter run time.

All are good lights.

If you are considering the Peak, I would consider the High Output version, either the three LED, or one LED varsion, for increased run time.

Lithium batteries make all of these lights brighter, and run longer, with flatter output.

pizzaman

Enlightened
In my opinion, the inside of a tent begs for a modest flood type light. The Gerber Infinity is floody and has extreme battery run time. That would be my pick.

Brighter lights in small spaces can be very annoying and inefficient. I'd use a Gerber in the tent and somthing brighter for walking around camp at night.

Good luck, TR

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Another light that you may want to consider for only $9.99 at Target: The River Rock 2AAA. It is very impressive for the price. Have not seen a runtime test - package claims 7 hours. Small, light, bright, common AAA batteries, with a pocket clip.

Do a search and you will find lots of posts on this one.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Ditto on the River Rock 2AAA flashlight. I took a couple on my backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon, and they worked flawlessly. Used a pair to light up my campsite while I setup my tent after dark. Never had to change batteries on the 2 lights over a 5 night trip with no moonlight.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Fenix ( I dont own one... yet) If you want something a little brighter than the infinity ultra, then I'd get a small pelican 5mm light. There are a lot to choose from.

-David

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Hi adirondackdestroyer ! Go to ebay, type in Eternalight. The company that makes them has one or two on every week. You can usually buy an Ergo for $18.00 plus shipping. You can set the light level thats best for you and the run time on the lower levels is measured in days not minutes or hours. Its a great area illuminator. Fits in your pocket very easy. Has a opening for a cord or strap. I really like it for camping and walking the dog. Until I got one I was not convinced of its value and uniqueness. My daughter calls it Dad's alien light!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
For this type of use, I agree that either the Infinity or the Fenix would fit the bill. If you think the X1 is bright, just wait until you see the Fenix!! You would barely know the X1 is on in comparison. It actually might be a bit more light than you need, considering runtime is a priority.

Another option I'll throw into the stew is the River Rock headlamp for only $15 at Target. It's actually smaller/lighter than the Fenix (just a slightly more awkward shape) but it puts out good light (more than the Infinity, less than the Fenix) for 6 hours on high and probably twice that or more on "low" (which is still brighter than the infinity). I find a comfortable headlamp to be invaluable when camping- you have the handsfree option, or you could lay it down facing up, or hang it from something.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorites is a modified Gerber with polished reflector.

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Ill sponser fenix(again) great light as for what your looking for, my friend and me set up a 2 man tent with fenix it has flawless beam but a useful side flood. We then attached fenix to roof of tent by lanyard and plenty of light to set everything up but not so bright hard to see.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own at least one of all the lights you are asking about though my ARC is the older version so isn't as bright. According to flashlightreviews.com, for overall output, the X1 is the very least powerful light I own though I love how it feels and it's form factor. It does have a bit more throw than the Peak, ARC or Infinity Ultra. The Fenix is without a doubt the brightest and a very good choice for an overall light - decent runtime, great output for its size, good value, but inside of a tint, the Infinty Ultra is plenty bright... It's actually plenty bright for walking around in the woods and I don't mean a park with paths, I mean uncleared WOODS.

It would serve you very well inside of a tint, has outstanding runtime and every collection should have at least one.

I will add that the River Rock and Inova 2xAAA lights available for $10-$12 at Target are brighter than the Ultra and have 5+ hour runtimes... I've been recommending the River Rock a lot lately to folks that have been happy with Minimags and I've heard no complaints.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Get a dorcy 1xAAA for low light needs (like lighting up a tent) and Fenix for tasks require higher out put and more throw. I carry these guys as my EDCs. Who needs a 2-stage light. :nana:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I will be getting an Infinity Ultra, and I will also be getting an Eternalight for a friend (thanks to whoever suggested that).
Is the Fenix only available through the companies website, or do any other websites sell them? I think that Fenix is located in China, so shipping them could be a minor problem.

Either way I am very pleased that I joined the forums. I will most likely be back again to purchase another sweet light in no time!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of CPF members that are selling them Fenix lights... Either right now, or in the next couple of days. I'd order from one of them.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one looks compact and has pretty good specs on it, although being made of brass will make it heavier. A related AA version is lighter, has about the same output, and much longer run time.

Lots of these types are around using the 0.5 W LEDs which are pretty efficient.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
How does the upgraded Keymate stack up with these other pocket lights? I know it's a button-cell, so it doesn't work for this spec--but how does it compare?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondack- you can buy the Fenix from 4sevens here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96886

The AA light that nerdgineer points out actually has very nice output (less than the Fenix, more than the Ultra, around 6 hrs runtime) and its really compact and lightweight. However, I tried several of them and on all units the switch either started out bad or eventually went bad (flickering and eventually dying completely). If you're into gutting your lights and figuring out what's going on, I'd say try one, but I personally wouldn't by them again until the switch issues are somehow resolved.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:"...Maglite Solitaire...piece of junk...just 1 really nice pocket flashlight to bring with me hiking/camping...want something that is at least bright enough to light up the inside of a small 2 person tent quite well...most important aspect...is the battery life and weight....hoping to get one that had at least 5 hours before it hit 50% power, but one that gets 3 is good enough I guess..."

You have an accurate grasp of the Solitaire :)

I'd suggest against the Inova X1. It has an odd very narrow spotlight beam with zero spill, plus overall output is quite low. Has good runtime though.

The Infinity Ultra is OK, not great output but compact, broad beam good for close range, and especially good runtime.

The Fenix is a great light, 2 hr runtime on alkaline and about 3 hr on lithium AA. However IMO it's too bright and too narrow beamed for inside a tent.

If your weight and money budgets allow, I'd suggest two lights:

(1) The River Rock LED lantern for inside the tent or at a camping table. About $20, and 8.5 hours runtime to 50%, AND regulated output. Available at Target.

(2) A more powerful compact flashlight or headlamp for uses besides the above. Examples: Fenix, River Rock 0.5w headlamp (just $15 at Target), Streamlight Argo HP headlamp, Princeton Tech EOS headlamp.

The River Rock 0.5w 2xAAA has excellent run time -- at least 7 hr on alkaline, and I think 11 hr on lithium AAA. Beam is blueish, but output is good for the price, it's small and only $10 at Target. It's a clone of the Nuwai TM-311H, reviewed below:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_headlamp.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_argohp.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_eos.htm