River Rock "Combination" Light - disappointing

filkergem

Newly Enlightened
I was in my local Target over the weekend and saw a new-to-me River Rock light, the 3-AAA "Combination" light. It has a "Super Bright Krypton Bulb for Searching" and "3 White LED Bulbs for Maximum Battery Life" . Since throwing is one of the holes in my light collection, I figured that this would be a perfect choice. Unfortunately, when I got it home, the incandescent portion didn't seem much brighter than the LED, and when I took it outside after dark to try comparing with my current throwing light (a Sam's Club Element 1Watt Luxeon 3AAA), the Element was at least as good out to 50 or so feet, and much kinder on my eyes than the hideous yellow-brown flood of the "Super Bright Krypton Bulb". I guess it'll be back to Target for a return soon. Maybe for a second RR Lantern.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw those... If think if they ran on 2 123 cells instead of 3xAAA, the incand section might be a bit better. I have two of the 2 123 Twin Tasks and one of the 3C Twin Tasks and they are all impressive though they aren't really exceptional in the throw department. The thing I love about the Twin Tasks, esp the 2L, is the very nice smooth flood with the LEDs. Better than the Inova X5T, better than the 8 LED XNova... just great. But those LEDs get in the way of the incand being able to do anything amazing. Someone also mentioned a bulb upgrade for the Streamlights though I can't find that thread at the moment.

For great throw on a relative budget, look at the Streamlight TL3. Not sure what they retail for these days, but I bought one for $45 over a year ago and noticed someone recently sold one (or at least had one for sale) for $45. LOTS of throw for that small of package and that little money.

cy

Flashaholic
river rock lights go from excellent like the $15 two stage regulated headlamp to not very good 2x C cell 1.4 jupiter light for $20.

glad I didn't purchase the combo light to find out it's not very good.

body of 2C light looks excellent for modding, but can't get it apart without destroying.

wonder what type of glue is used?

Latest posts