i think im going to sneak a pet in my condo

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there is some rule where all the owneres a condos vote and they said no new pets.if ya lived here before the rule ya can have em.well i didnt live here before but im going to by me a new baby rat sometime this week i miss haveing pets

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You need to measure the advantages of having a pet and the consequence of violating the condo covenances when you get caught with the rat!

marcspar

Enlightened
I don't know if mice are as much fun as rats, but I think that there would be more acceptance of a pet mouse (or gerbil, hamsterm, etc) over a rat - IF you do get caught.

Marc

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who would know how long you had any kind of pet? if you're planning to break the rules, it doesn't matter how you break'em.

Fish? Birds? Reptiles?

nethiker

Enlightened
Hi Raggie,

Having a pet as a friend and companion can be very important and rewarding. It is also good to make friends with your neighbors. If you have to hide a pet and this makes it more difficult to socialize with your neighbors, then I think it's not the best idea, especially if you already have a hard time meeting new people. Your pet could become an excuse not to get to know the people who live close by.

How about asking your homeowner's association to make an exception in the rule for you. Most people recognize the importance of pets, especially for people who live alone. I think that since some of your neighbors have pets already under the old rules, it would be likely that they make an exception in your case. Especially since you are considering a small indoor pet like a rat and not a large one that might bark or bite the neighborhood kids.

These exceptions to the rule happen all the time, but you need to take the initiative to ask. Then if alls o.k., you can have your pet and this could even help you get to know your neighbors since you could invite them over to meet your new friend. Best of all worlds. I hope it works out for you one way or another.

Greg

*Bryan*

Enlightened
Greg,
While I agree with your post, experience tells me: "Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness then to ask permission"

raggie33

*the raggedier*
rats have a stigma they wont let me have one im sure,anyone who has gad a rat as a pet knows there great pets.people who dont have em are so afraid a em.but rats are smart as dogs smarter in some cases there also very clean and i never ever saw a rat bite there very sweet

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
You don't want to give them an excuse to take action against you Raggie.

Think of the possible consequences, versus the benefits.

Life at your condo could become difficult, if not impossible, depending on what fines, or other measures, are used to bring you in compliance. Could you be forced out? Are there condo owners that would like to have the excuse to force you out? There are some nasty people in the world.

oldgrandpajack

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I know LED Museum kept some rats at one time. I'm sure you can ask him a little about that.

Most small animals or fish seem to be very discrete and keeping them isn't really much of a problem unless in the case of rodents, they get loose and terrorize the neighbor. I used to own a hamster and it did escape twice but it stayed in the same room.

A small aquarium might also work. Maintainence is easy for most but sometimes hard to remember. Just don't get anything larger than 20 gallons. Bigger aquariums are a lot harder to clean and a mess to maintain.

I own a cat that I keep indoors most of the time and it likes to hide under my bed whenever we have guest over (she's very shy). My neighbors can't even remember me owning a cat.

Only thing that I can think of which will give itself away is a dog.

greenLED

Flashaholic
hmmm... dunno about that. Might get you in trouble. At the apts I used to work at, we didn't allow "hairy" stuff, but reptiles and fish were OK. Maybe asking for an exception would be the way to go.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I would be inclined to ask for permission in advance, preferably in writing or via email. Maybe they'll make an exception for you, Raggie. I know how important a pet can be; I uwed to have a few cats and they were good company when I was living alone.