Nice looking leather covered torch

marcspar

Enlightened
Sundance has the following light available on their website:

http://www.sundancecatalog.com/shop...7731&itemType=PRODUCT&AS=1&keyword=flashlight

Leather-clad Flashlight
A classic since 1917, our tried-and-true flashlight will brighten his path. We wrapped it in chocolate top-grain leather, exposing the chrome plated tip, tail and thumb switch. Two-way switch. Uses three D batteries (not included). 3-1/2"DIA. x 9-1/2"L.

They even explain where chrome plating originated:

In 1913, English metallurgist Harry Brearly, working on a project to improve rifle barrels, accidentally discovered that adding chromium to low carbon steel gives it stain resistance. In addition to iron, carbon, and chromium, modern stainless steel may also contain other elements that enhance the corrosion resistance of it. It is the addition of a minimum of 12% chromium to the steel that makes it resist rust, or stain 'less' than other types of steel. The chromium in the steel combines with oxygen in the atmosphere to form a thin, invisible layer of chrome-containing oxide, called the passive film. The sizes of chromium atoms and their oxides are similar, so they pack neatly together on the surface of the metal, forming a stable layer only a few atoms thick that is remarkable strong.

I really like the look of the light, but know I would not be happy with its beam - so if anyone decides to mod more than one, I would buy the other.....

Thanks,

Marc

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really sweet looking torch! I may have to order one to check it out!

Is it my imagination, or does the reflector look textured?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just ordered one of these. It looks just waaaay too cool to not get one!

I asked Sundance about the reflector, and the girl on the phone had to go get one to check for me. The reflector is in fact textured. How about that?!

If the beam is decent, I have a powerstick regulated 2D to put in this bad boy. An Everled/Diamond might be good too. The Powerstik would need a D size spacer, but it outputs 3D power (and maintains it for 5 hours in flat regulation). If I recall, it's 3.6V and .9A, which is pretty much the specs for a 3D Mag.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
That is a cool light. Very classic looking. If it gets modded I wouldn't be suprised to see it in a hollywood retro movie.
I'd like to hear if it gets modded easily. I'd be interested in buying one.

rikvee

Enlightened
posting an as yet unknown flashlight on CPF is like shooting fish in a barrel..... or is that like moths to a flame......:crackup:
edit: I'm laughing 'cos I'm not the only one that's totally gone.... :shakehead

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks nice. Not for my decor but wow, imagine someone's surprise if you put a hotwire mod in there.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what I'm getting!!! We do a "murder mystery dinner" twice a year and it's always set in a "roaring 20's" format so that light will be a great prop!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Just received mine this morning...fast service!!

The reflector is textured. The beam pattern has a dounut hole except when the head is backed off some and focuses the beam to a nice very tight smooth beam! The bulb is a screw in type and is cylendrical(sp) in shape with a flat top.

It is a nice looking light but is made of rather thin metal...much like my Grandfathers light from the '30s.

This will make a nice Christmas present!

Here is a picture of the reflector http://ftp2.itexas.net/Rbost/leather.jpg

Last edited:

Roy

BTW....It has a glass lens. At best it MIGHT be weather resistant.

A PR base into the screw base.....don't know. I would think not.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea how much current that bulb draws?

A glass lens is very unexpected, as is the quality of that reflector!

:wow:

Roy

The bulb is marked:
KAIDA
3.8V
0.3A

Anyone know of a brighter bulb available in the US?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The manufacturing date of that light is claimed to be 1917. I believe that's incorrect. I don't have the light in front of me so I can't say for certain, but it looks very much like a recently made Chinese copy of an American flashlight made post-1950. Go to the website and click on the picture to enlarge, then click on the image to zoom in. Compare it to the image below which I just took of a Chinese-made light. See in particular the band of diagonal lines behind the head. I've only ever seen these on Chinese lights.

chcopy.jpg

Last edited:

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
Nikon, it sure looks to be the same. The only difference I noticed is the photo you show seems to have an average sized head and the Sundance offering has a large head.
Mine is due here this afternoon. I still think it's a cool looking light and hope that I still think so after it arrives.
I hope someone finds a good replacement bulb!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy said:
The bulb is marked:
KAIDA
3.8V
0.3A

Anyone know of a brighter bulb available in the US?

Roy, take another look at that bulb. Are you sure it isn't 0.8A, not 0.3A? Mine looks like an 8. I haven't slapped a DMM on it yet.

Roy

It could be 0.8A kinda hard to tell....mine is missing the left side of the "8" so it looks like a "3".

The tail cap is imbossed with "Tiger Head Bravo" "Made In China".

A GOOGLE search on the info on the bulb, turned up a company in China named KAIDA that appears to be the maker of these lights. They sell the bulbs (3.8v 0.3A) by the 1000 piece lots.

Latest posts