RofisLight        

Thread: Aunoc AAAA Stainless Steel flashlight

Default Aunoc AAAA Stainless Steel flashlight

Just found it for sale on Lighthound's website. Looks gorgeous! I couldn't resist and have just ordered one. Oh my oh my, what will the other half say..........

(mmm......maybe she doesn't have to see it..........yet)

Default Re: Aunoc AAAA Stainless Steel flashlight

I was curious about that myself. Looks very interesting...Judging from the dimensions, it is seriously small... Small is good.

I'm gonna have to touch base with John (Lighthound) and ask him about it...
    http://www.lighthound.com/sales/auno...flashlight.php

Flashaholic*

Ohgeez Re: Aunoc AAAA Stainless Steel flashlight

ooops!
    Last edited by 2dim; 11-01-2005 at 01:48 PM.

I just happened to order some AAAA's by accident a few weeks ago. I just might have to get one of these so I can use 'em!

- Chris

60 bucks?!

Holy Inflated Margins, Batman!!
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I emailed Jon before I ordered and this is what he had to say about it.......

"The Aunoc AAAA light is INCREDIBLE. I have not had a chance to test it fully, but I think that the output is comparable to the latest version Arc AAA Premium edition, but from a smaller light. The fit and finish is AMAZING, they do really great work. It comes in a stainless steel presentation box that is about 1.5 cm tall, 3.5 cm wide, and 10 cm long...really top-notch stuff."

Expensive I know. Is it worth the bucks? Who cares

Flashaholic

That does look awesome! I look forward to hearing more about this light.

Flashaholic*

It does look gorgeous, but I feel like half of that price is what I'd be willing to pay.

I'd also like to see some runtime stats, since AAAAs have even less capacity than the already wimpy AAA. If its as bright as the new Arc AAA, I wouldn't expect much over an hour or two at close to full brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn
    60 bucks?!

what he said...

Flashaholic

How about a picture of it next to an ARC AAA? Also, it says it's type ll hard anodized....isn't that strange for a stainless steel light?

Man! I was so excited to see a aaaa light but so dissapointed to see the price.

Edit: did some research, a 1 watt by the same company has been discussed on cpf. Heres the website for the company:http://www.aunoc.com/home.asp The led is a nichia.

Looks like they sell a lot of pricey dive stuff, and looks like we need a GroupBuy!!!
    Last edited by phatalbert; 11-03-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Flashaholic

I think Quickbeam got one and the review is pending, so I will keep my eyes on this little baby.

Quote Originally Posted by jacques
    I think Quickbeam got one and the review is pending, so I will keep my eyes on this little baby.
    No kidding? Thats cool. Im hoping he's going to review the Black Diamond Spot.

Rdshores, It doesn't say anything about anodizing. Where are you getting that from?

I don't get why these companies can't do a little knurling on these stainless steel lights. To me a straight smooth body on the light is boring and is too slippery. Tha tis my chief complaint about my Peak stainless AAA light. Too plain and too slippery. I make a stainless whistle with heavy knurling so I know it is no big deal to do....
    --Peter

wonder what the 1watt is like. It's about the same length as a ARC AAA. VDG
    "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"lumen Gentium!"

(smirk) If they did knurling, you'd have someone posting "I don't get why these companies won't make a stainless steel light without knurling. To me one of the best reasons for SS is that i can give it a mirror polish." I agree on a dive light grip is more important than looks, but you'd use a lanyard anyway, so it's not much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood
    I don't get why these companies can't do a little knurling on these stainless steel lights. To me a straight smooth body on the light is boring and is too slippery. Tha tis my chief complaint about my Peak stainless AAA light.

Flashaholic

AlanP,

What do you think of the Aunoc AAAA?

Flashaholic*

I wonder about the run time too.

Greg
    My EDC: Chrome Draco.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn
    60 bucks?!

WOW...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cy
    WOW...

What cy said. Since when is 60 bucks alot for a light?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H
    AlanP,

What do you think of the Aunoc AAAA?
    Hi Ben

I've had the Aunoc AAAA about a week now but due to a family emergency I've not really had chance to play with it. My initial impressions tho' are that it feels a quality piece of kit, more like a piece of jewellery than a light. So much so that I'm thinking of putting it on a chain round my neck! Regarding output I don't have anything similar, other than an Ultra, to compare it to. The tint is similar to my Ultra (slightly blue'ish) but quite a bit brighter than my Ultra (which I run on a lithium AA). The beam is similar to the Ultra too, i.e. mainly flood and no real spot. It's plenty bright enough to navigate round the outside of my house and lights up quite a nice wide area.

Hope this helps. I apologise for this poor 'review'. I'm a bit rushed at the mo' but when I get chance I'll try and do a 'proper' review complete with runtime.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP
    Hi Ben

I've had the Aunoc AAAA about a week now but due to a family emergency I've not really had chance to play with it. My initial impressions tho' are that it feels a quality piece of kit, more like a piece of jewellery than a light. So much so that I'm thinking of putting it on a chain round my neck! Regarding output I don't have anything similar, other than an Ultra, to compare it to. The tint is similar to my Ultra (slightly blue'ish) but quite a bit brighter than my Ultra (which I run on a lithium AA). The beam is similar to the Ultra too, i.e. mainly flood and no real spot. It's plenty bright enough to navigate round the outside of my house and lights up quite a nice wide area.

Hope this helps. I apologise for this poor 'review'. I'm a bit rushed at the mo' but when I get chance I'll try and do a 'proper' review complete with runtime.

Alan
    Thank you Allan,, I'm sure we all can wait for a more in depth review, just stay tight with the family, God Bless, VDG
    "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"lumen Gentium!"

Flashaholic

Thanks for the mini review. I hope everything works out okay with your family emergency.

Flashaholic

Actually, my Mom just sent me one of these, and I am impressed with it. I just sent off my ARC AAA-P (version just before they went out of business) to get repaired, so its difficult to compare it to that (which was my last keychain light), although my first impression is that it is at least as bright as the ARC (if not brighter), but the beam isn't quite as even (I can see a few rings). I had it on my keys tonight, and the smaller diameter is definitely more handy. The battery capacity obviously won't be as good, although I don't see that being a problem since I end up changing the battery on my Arc about every four months... I didn't have the contact problem mentioned in the review, but I did find the head to be a bit loser than I would like. This was solved by simply adding a foam doughnut to the top of the battery like what is found in the Arc AAA. The head turns with a bit more resistance, and the battery doesn't flop around. I was able to cut the foam I needed from the included packaging (cut it from the underside and you can't even tell it's gone! This is perfect for my keychain now. I tried using a LSH-P with the twisty pack for a few days and it was a bit bulkier than I would like (and really brighter than I need on my keys), but this is right on the money.

The only other improvement I can think of is for them to bag the SS case and charge $20 less for it. They would sell a lot more that way... The case is nice, but who really needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by phatalbert
    2 stars.. ouch!

Anyone know if Aunoc has improved the poor switching mechanism that caused Quickbeam to give it only 2 stars? I'm thinking seriously about ordering one.

Flashaholic

I have an Aunoc and I must confess that I too am disappointed with the switching mechanism. It's a bit flakey for my taste. Also, it generally takes two hands to twist because the body is so smooth. I also find that I regularly pinch my finger in the space between the head and the body.

I do, however like the aesthetics very much. The form factor with the AAAA is very nice and it is quite bright, though not as bright as my Arc P.

;-nrk

*Flashaholic*

could someone post a pic of aunoc next to ARC AAA?

quickbeams review is not too encouraging...

Hey Cy, look here

Lots of info

Also, this is from lighthounds sight:

"Update - 2006 - The Aunoc AAAA flashlight has now been dive-tested to 200 feet (60 meters), and now comes with a metal contact plate for the + end of the battery, which is more reliable than the spring used in the first version."
    Last edited by xochi; 04-16-2006 at 12:33 PM.
    Titanium flashlights are like solid gold radial tires