The power of the sun

andebra

Newly Enlightened
Ok here it is.
:thinking: :help:
I want the sun strapped to my head. That about sums it up. hahaha. Where can i find the absolute brightest light out there? I wouldnt want to pay more then 200. I was looking at the black diamond solaris. What do you guys think i should get?

It would be cool but i dont require a low beam/LED light within the unit...
And i dont care too much about battery but it would be preferred to last more than 10 hours haha.

I am mainly looking for a huge amount of light for rock climbing.

Thanks a ton!!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know much about about the different headlight that are out there, but the brightest i've seen so far was discussed about a week ago. The Stenlight.

Here's a link of the discussion: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88744

briskly reading through the replies, i'm gathering this light has 4 switchable outputs, digital regulation, thermal regulation, 2x3W Luxeon using 2 different optics - wide/narrow, runtime of 4+ hrs to 45 minutes depending on setting, and a maximum of 140 lumens on turbo. That's one hell of a light.

If you're looking for the ultimate brightness, i would take a look at some helmet mountable HID lights. I've seen one helmet HID go up to 21W i think - using one of those would almost be equivilant to parking your car in the cave. But HID's aren't as durable as LEDs so if you bump it too hard and it goes out...you better have a backup.

andebra

Newly Enlightened
...not to reveal too much of my irresponsibility:sssh: .. but i was primarily looking for a headlamp for non helmet function. . . The regular head strap on ones! ;)

In caving i think you get more little rocks hitting your head from moderate distances.. but for us climbers, if a rock hits you, already falling hundreds of feet, your dead anyways. hahaha. Plus helmets make me sweat and are heavy and anooying and things of that nature.

hahaha.

nice light though. I can't say i exactly understand the lumens thing. haha. i figured i'd just take the experts on their advice and not really try and decifer the termonilogy.

:ohgeez:

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a funny thread .-)
There are several HID headlamps useable with a headstrap.
I know for example hahahaha the Lupine Edison, not the brigtest at 16W hahaha. I also know about one guy using an automitiove 35W HID bulb as a headlamp haha.
And I do not wear a hardhat while caving mainly because of the little rocks falling down a short distance, more against hitting the ceiling haha.
A very bright headlamp has the wonderful adavantage that nearby objects blind yourself and your buddies haha.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
kinda like a helmet on when climbing, too easy for loose rocks from above to come tumbling down :D

one of brightest headlamp is Niterider HID storm with headband or strap to your helmet.

kinda overkill!

check out latest killer find at target for $15. river rock .5watt headlamp with two stage clicky for 7hrs regulated beam on hight, 25 hr on low. uses 2x AAA. very_light.

oring sealed with nice head straps...

andebra

Newly Enlightened
dang man that Niterider HID storm is like 400$. It probably is awesome! A little out of my range though hahaha.:awman:

turbodog

Flashaholic
This has got all your criteria:

1. strap mount (you need the optional headband)

2. no helmet required

3. with stock (19w bulb) that's over 250 lumens

4. stock bulb gives 2 hour runtime, other bulbs/batteries available

5. under $200 (but not much)

6. tough as nails, believe me, I have 6 of their lights

7. very white light

8. lowest bulb is 6 hours runtime and still close to 100 lumens

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jump in your time machine. Hop forward 20 or 30 years. Pick up a MR. Fusion fuel cell. You'll be able to run a 100w HID all night long. When it starts to get dim, just jam in another banana peel :crackup:

niemidc

Newly Enlightened
LEDagent said:
I don't know much about about the different headlight that are out there, but the brightest i've seen so far was discussed about a week ago. The Stenlight.

briskly reading through the replies, i'm gathering this light has 4 switchable outputs, digital regulation, thermal regulation, 2x3W Luxeon using 2 different optics - wide/narrow, runtime of 4+ hrs to 45 minutes depending on setting, and a maximum of 140 lumens on turbo. That's one hell of a light.

It may not be entirely relevant, as the original poster seems more intent on HID, but the StenLight will soon have a good headstrap to go with it for non-helmet-wearing applications. The biggest advantages of the StenLight over HID are (1) much lower maintenance and operating cost (no bulbs to replace); and (2) the ability to work very efficiently over a wide range of different brightness levels. But HID is hard to beat for total output.

FYI, the StenLight is not digitally regulated, it is all analog, and on the lowest setting it typically runs around a week on a charge. Everything else LEDagent lists is correct.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like super bright headlamps. I notice the beam and glare too much. When you start getting north of 50+ lumens, I think there's a downside. A flashlight controls these things much better. 50 lumens will light your trail, etc fairly well.

Granted, I'm not a pro-user. This is just my opinion from something I've noticed while playing with different headlamps.