We wuz robbed!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title says it all.

I live in a fairly high rent neighborhood, on a lake, with very good neighbors around me.

Sometime between 5:00 and 6:45 AM this morning our house was robbed. I, my wife, my 16 y/o son and my 14 y/o daughter were home at the time, and everyone but my wife was up getting ready. We were all upstairs, and the BG's stayed downstairs, but evidently, the burglars were interrupted in the process and fled. We are 100% confident that they were in the house while we were up, because our pitbull did not hear them or react, and that would only happen if she was not alarmed by what she thought was regular movement.

They took mostly small items. However, that included my wallet with my ID, concealed weapons permit, cell phone, my wifes cell phone, my EDC knife and McLux PD, custom ordered from McGizmo.

They missed my son's wallet with $100 cash sitting within 3 feet of mine, (Like most fathers, my wallet had no cash in it!), the SpaceNeedle II with Assault and batteries less than 18" from the PD, and several other MUCH more valuable items in the same basket as the cell phone.

The toughest thing to replace is my cell phone, which stores all my numbers to my many contacts on CPF and businesswise.

I have to replace all my ID so I can travel Thursday.

In addition, I will be installing some additional dead bolts and security measures before I leave.

I guess the only thing I can say is, "It can happen to you, it happened to me!"

Bill

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'm really sorry to hear about this unfortunate circumstance Bill. Some say it makes one feel "violated." Good thing that everyone is safe though!

Makarov

Enlightened
I'm sorry to read this, fortunately this incident didn't turn into anymore than some lost items and a bruised self-esteem.
Having a breakin does make you think, especially when you were in the house.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thank goodness no one was hurt. I understand the feeling of being violated though. A close relative of mine was recently robbed, in her home, at knifepoint by two thugs from Darwin's waiting room.
:mad:

*Bryan*

Enlightened
Wow,
I am sorry this happened to you. Like others have said, Thank God nobody was injured. I do wonder how it was they entered the house with nobody hearing? Not that it is my business though....

In my house, I have a alarm system that beeps when entry doors and windows are opened. It just gives 2 beeps to let you know something opened...I love that.

nethiker

Enlightened
Wow Bill, sorry to hear about that. Glad you're all o.k., and I bet the bad guys are going to be glad they're o.k. when they find your concealed carry permit. You might want to contact all the pawn shops in your area with a description of that McLux PD. I bet the thiefs don't know how unique that really is and it might just get them caught.

The balls on some people, and with a pit bull to boot! Just curious, have you tried calling your cell phone? If someone answers, tell them you hope they turned off the locater because the cops are homing in right now. Just to give them something to think about.:sweat:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Yikes! That's a scary thing to read about. What I find most disturbing is they came into your home, while the family was there!

Nethiker hit on something. I believe many of the newer phones have a GPS locater in them, for emergency purposes. I doubt that the police would use it to try and track any culprits in this instance, and you may not actually have a newer phone, but it's worth a thought!

When my friends house was robbed years ago, it turned out to be another "friend" of his that did it.

Glad you are all okay. What a hassle. And the McLux PD being taken, from a flashaholic point of view, really sucks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Glad you guys are alright. I can relate to the feeling, having been mugged a couple of times. It sucks when something like this happens. Not only the loss of safety, but the hassle of reporting everything, getting ID's reissued, credit card reporting, etc. :awman:

Maybe your wife was on the right track last time she heard noises (I just remembered your "bump and bright lights" -or something like that- thread)?

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
How did they gain entry??? Also an unpleasent but true possiblity, dogs generally do not react if they know you even if it seems like a very odd time most dogs do not think "what the heck is **** doing here at this hour??"
They just grin wag and go on.
Topper

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to here that you and yours were not harmed.:)

Though the feeling of being violated is not a nice one.:(:awman:

I can't imagine what I would do if someone stole my PD.......oh wait yes I can.:mad:

I hope you get all your items returned with an added bonus of a conviction for those who perpetrated this offense.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone, thanks for the notes and sympathy.

Since we can't pinpoint the exact time of entry, we think it may have been in the 15 or so minutes after my son left and before I came downstairs. During that time frame, he usually doesn't lock the front door again because he knows I'll be leaving.

The other alternative is through the garage, but that door was relocked if they came in that way, because my daughter took the garbage out before we discovered the missing items and it was locked at that point.

All we know is that there appears to be no forcible entry, so the front door theory seems best.

We live in a VERY low crime rate area and have been spoiled, so our home security procedures haven't always been perfect.

That will change now!

I doubt it was anyone we know, because they would have known about many other, MUCH more valuable and portable items nearby.

Bill

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
bwaites said:
...I doubt it was anyone we know, because they would have known about many other, MUCH more valuable and portable items nearby.

Bill

It could have been someone you know.

Had a similar incedent several years ago. Someone came in the house around 2:00AM. Thought it was my son, home from a party. I only heard him, because I had gotten up to go to the bathroom. Didn't react, because I assumed it was my son. Went down stairs when I was finished, and found the back door left open, and nobody there.

Later, when my son did come home, he discovered his wallet was missing all of his cash. Had to be one of his "friends", to have known exactly where to go and find his wallet. He had been bragging at the party, about how much cash he had at home, in his wallet. I think I know who it was, from the size of the muddy foot prints, but it can't be proven.

oldgrandpajack

drizzle

Enlightened
So sorry to hear that Bill. I'm shocked it would happen in a community like the one you describe and when everyone is up. I'm glad nobody was hurt or frightened (that can leave scars too) and I hope the BG gets nailed.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
So sorry you had to join the club. My apt. was burglarized May 31 (I wasn't there). Took my laptop, and used my travel bags to cherry pick small items like small electronics to take. Not as scary as having them there while you are there. They left all the flashlights! Then my car was stolen Sept 11....

Big PITA to change all passwords, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. And wondering if they'll come back....

Now we know - low crime rate/good neighborhood or not, security is a must these days.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to hear that, Bill. May the bass turds rot.

I'm pleased to hear you and yours are safe and sound.

They didn't get any weapons. That's huge.

I won't be surprised to find out that you've over engineered security protocal at your place.

Take care man.

-----------------

- Jeff

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again, and yes, I'll trade the stuff they got for the well being of the people in the home a thousand, thousand times over!!!

They'll be some overengineering going on for the next month or so!!

New stops on the doors, cameras, lights. I have motion sensors in the back, but they came in the front apparently.

The next door house was ransacked extensively, and it happened in a less than 20 minute window there. The timing now looks much more accurately placed with what we can put together from their info and the the third home info. They were in and out in my home in a less than 5 minute time frame, apparently.

All is well now, some new locks and bars!

Bill

Ledean

Enlightened
I am glad you are all safe.
Still surprised that they broke in when when you guys were still inside.

Last edited: