New Flashlight Idea.

bruner

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

This is only my third or fourth post, so I hope not to come off too big-headed with this. I actually found you guys/girls when I was on Google trying to see if anyone was selling these things. If I would have found someone selling them, I probably would have bought one.

I have an idea for a new type of flashlight. I'm hoping that someone here might have the background and interest to try and build what I'm thinking about.

Here's the idea, I'll just put it out there and then try to explain it… CF (compact flash) type II socket flashlight peripheral.

In case you're not familiar with some of the terms I just used, I'll try to clarify. I have a pocket pc (PPC), it's a handheld computer similar to Palm Pilots, but running window mobile 2003. My particular PPC has two open memory slots on it, one for SD memory and one for CF memory. SD memory is small, about the size of a postage stamp. CF memory is larger, about the size and thickness of a pack of matches. There are several models of PPC's and Palm devices (which from this point on I will refer to as "handheld devices") that have CF memory slots. In my case, I have one SD card installed for extra memory, but the CF memory slot is open (and lonely)…

There are all sorts of peripheral devices out there that can be attached to a handheld device via the CF memory slot. I've seen barcode scanners, modems, magnetic strip readers, wifi adapters, bluetooth adapters, GPS receivers and even a TV tuner.

What I thought would be really cool is to make a CF flashlight peripheral which would be the same size and shape of a CF type II memory card. When placed in an open CF memory slot of a handheld device, the front edge would still remain exposed and could be lined with a handful of high output LED lights.

Aside from the task of building the CF flashlight, one would have to be able to write a program for the handheld device to control the light. There are several buttons on most handheld devices for things like address book, mail, phone numbers, etc… The CF flashlight program would have to allow you to re-assign one of those buttons to turn on the CF flashlight when the handheld itself is turned off. From that point, depending on how creative the programmer wants to get, I suppose you could have the program control things like brightness, colors, strobe rates or even patterns for the LED's to follow.

So, there it is. That was a mouthful... Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

bruner

Enlightened
I found an image and marked it up to beter show what I'm thinking about. This shows the CF card only half-inserted. It would normally be pushed the whole way in making the LED's flush with the top edge of the Pocket PC.

Dan

Last edited:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Interesting. The operating voltage of the Pocket PC compact flash slot is 3.3V, and can supply up to 500mA of current.

http://www.semsons.com/comflastopcc.html

So you could run a Luxeon, Cree, or Jupiter LED at spec. Or you could run a bunch of lower-powered ones (e.g. Nichia CS LEDs).

Have you seen the Indium Smart? (thread in the Dealer's Corner forum)

Introducing the First PC Programmable Flashlight

The first two CPFers that come to mind that could help you with this are Jon Burlison (JonSidneyB - the author of the Indium Smart thread), and Andrew Wynn Rouse (andrewwynn).

Apologies to the many other creative, innovative CPFers I didn't mention. The only reason I thought of those two were because you mentioned a software programmability feature (like Jon's Indium Smart), and because something like this might appeal to Andrew's gadget affinity (he once posted pics of a Luxeon light he made from a cell phone). Both of them have experience with the entire process of new product conception, design, and production. Unfortunately, they're also pretty busy with their ongoing projects...

Last edited:

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like a very good idea if the leds are bright enough. I don't use a palm pilot myself, but I do know alot of people who do. They might like the light if it is bright enough.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there new PDA's that still use the CF format? Most of the ones I've seen have been using SD/MMC instead. A SD/MMC would work as well though, as there are the same types of accesories made, camera, WiFi adapter, etc.

icebeng

Newly Enlightened
The Griffin iBeam for iPods comes to mind.
Not trying to hijack the thread, just mentioning this since they're both peripherals.
Wonder if you guys can come up with something that can plug into everything! :D

AW

Newly Enlightened
How about a multi - purpose light from a single AA operated cell phone charger ' Charge 2 Go ' ? The boosted voltage is sufficient to drive a 'R' bin Lux I in regulation for a full 96 minutes from 1 AA battery. It has low / high beam setting too ;-)

www.charge2go.com

Pictures later

bruner

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I've just become aware of the Indium Smart light and I'm not sure if my idea infringes on existing patents held by the inventor. I must say that I'm truely amazed by the thought and effort that has gone into his revolutionary design.

My original intent on posting my idea was that someone here might have the skills and knowledge to pick up the idea and run with it. However, considering our fellow CPF's remarkable invention, I only want to pursue my idea as a "fun project" and not a money-making opportunity.

That being said, congratulations to Jon and if I can find the money to buy an Indium Smart when they become available, consider me a customer.

Link to Jon's Indium Smart thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95499

Thanks,
Dan

bruner

Enlightened
Hookd_On_Photons,

I believe that CF memory cards operate on either 3.3v or 5v but I'm not sure what the output voltage is on a pocket pc (PPC).

Trashman,

I don't know what might work best, but thanks for the suggestion.

Geddinight,

Based on my only experience of owning a nice LED flash light (the ARC original). I would think that several of the same type of LED's would probably create a good beam of light.

Unicorn,

I have only ever owned three PDA's. First was a Palm M105 (i think that model nuber is correct) which had no memory slot at all, second was a Sony Clie SL10 which had sony's proprietary "memory stick" slot and third is my HP hx2415 pocket pc which has both an SD and a CF memory slot. I believe that most "high-end" pocket pc's offer both SD and CF memory slots.

greenLED,

I agree.

icebeng,

I had no idea that those ipod accessories existed, pretty cool. Thanks.

AW,

Those are interesting. I wish they made one for my charging my PPC. Maybe they will down the road.

Navck,

I don't know what a "luxeon" is just yet, but sure sounds good ;)

HarryN,

The programing side of it, in my mind, would surely be the hardest part. If you think you can, go for it.

Other thoughts...

I'm thinking that one way to make the actual CF light would be to purchase a CF mini hard drive and gut it. The pictures I've seen of those things look like the the top comes off with just a few screws. After removing the mini hard drive, one would have and "empty" CF device and could maybe drill holes in the top edge to mount LED's, "luxeons", what have you? As well as room for some circuitry that might be required for "upping the voltage".

Thanks,
Dan

AW

Newly Enlightened
bruner,

I think the ' Charge 2 Go ' may actually charge a PPC 's LiIon battery if you can find the right adapter to connect the two. The LiIon cell in a cell phone is no different than the LiIon in a PPC except the capacity.

Here is some pictures of my little mod :

Cell phone charger

PICT0304.jpg

Flashlight / Flexi reading / utility light

PICT0305.jpg

Low/High beam

PICT0307.jpg

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats neat.... 24.99 w/ free ship on their website... but they dont have a cord for my cell phone...

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hookd_On_Photons said:
Interesting. The operating voltage of the Pocket PC compact flash slot is 3.3V, and can supply up to 500mA of current.
For how long can it supply that level of current? I'd imagine the overall capacity of the prismatic Li-ion cells used in today's PDAs might not be quite what we'd like. I just randomly picked a Dell Axim, a model 51v. The tech specs state the cell capacity as 1100 mAh. (There is an optional pack with double that capacity.) I think these things usually get around four hours of runtime? If so, they're drawing somewhere around 275mA to run the CPU. Add 500mA for the light, and you'll run it flat in under 85 minutes.

I guess that's not too bad. Most people probably keep their PDAs docked in the charging cradle daily anyway, so you'd always have it topped up.

Of course, getting rid of the heat generated from a 500mA LED is going to be (really) tough in something the size of a CF card. There isn't much room there for heatsinking. Overall, the design might be more successful if the target drive level were more like 100mA. I'm thinking of something with the output comparable to a single AAA cell powered LED light (like a Peak or an Arc or a Dorcy AAA). Then again, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just carry a Peak or an Arc or a Dorcy AAA?

tron3

Banned
Cool idea, but who would buy it?

I mean, you could plug in an I/R led and with programming, use it as a remote control for every device in your house. But would you?

Cell phones and PDA's need power... period. Aside from house and car chargers, they need portable gyro generators to charge the battery. Just like those self charging radios and flashlights.

Heck, search google. You will find a variety of solar-powered flashlights. Yep, solar cells recharge the battery for normal use. Easy to find, I'm sure, as it would always be sitting on a window sill. :sssh: