Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Bag or Briefcase

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering how you guys position your lights.

I've found that I'm more likely to use my lights if they are on my strong side. I particularly notice when the light is in my pocket. On my weak side, I can't remove it easily enough to deploy quickly so I don't mess with it unless I really need it. The biggest problem is that most lights hang on draw. I always use a lanyard on pocketed EDCs and either the cant or tailswitch cause it to bind on the way out.

One other thing regarding pockets, I usually have a dedicated flashlight pocket so extra right side pockets are a must.

On my belt/pack rig it's not as bad but if I set it up for weak side I sometimes position it for a cross draw.

-LT

icebeng

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm.....
For the first few days after I get a new EDC, this is actually a non-issue...
I'm constantly play.... er... I mean testing out the light so it's ALWAYS in my hand! :D

But I usually use belt holsters positioned on my strong side for quick draw.

As for pockets, I'll only put a flashlight in a pocket if it's the long narrow sort found usually in cargo pants. I hate having the flashlight move into diagonal or horizontal position while it's in my pocket....
Especially since it tends to stick out or tent my pants when I sit down..
Of course some people might think it's a good "chick magnet" :p

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I notice your poll only allows one selection.....

Recently, on a military field excercise, I had a Surefire M4 in my left jacket pocket, an M2 in the right jacket pocket, and a Jil DD around my neck.

At home, if I'm wearing surf shorts, then it's the M2 in right shorts pocket, and an E1e clipped to the left shorts belt loop (and the Jil around the neck.

If I'm working at my normal job back at base, then it's an 8NX on the left side in a holster (with M4 or M2 handy somewhere).

:touche:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
RAF_Groundcrew said:
I notice your poll only allows one selection.....

I was just using my personal experience for what EDC means. In my case, though I may have 6 or more lights on me and some of those might be carried everyday, I call my EDC the one that is my first choice for most applications.

While I have other lights on me for specialized needs there is only one (sounds like the movie Highlander :ohgeez: ) that I carry that I consider my EDC since I only use one light at a time. It can be hard to get a description that matches everyone's idea of EDC. :shrug:

-LT

FredM

Enlightened
To me EDC is the one you take when you go out to dinner or a show. Basically everywhere.

Come one guys don't tell me you are packing M6s when you go to the show.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light lives in weak side belt holster. Because I might need my strong side for tasks, defensive tools, etc.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
strong side: folding knife with clip on waist band (always); pepper spray depending on circumstances; single led aaa light in small front pocket (always)
weak side: Q III in belt holster (almost always)

Apart from these I may of course carry several lights in coat pockets when it's dark, depending on my 'taste of the day'

Kees

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
My strong hand is for my handgun. Weak hand is for my light. I do not like a cross draw for either.
When I started out my LEO career, it was a very odd feeling to carry my light in the weak hand. Before my training, I carried my light in my strong hand. I was an avid camper. After many years of forcing the light to my weak hand, it's second nature now.
EDC is a Inova X1 supplimented by nemul's excellent X5 mod after dark.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the short time when I wore a holster, I wore it weakside and the strong side was dominated by a little bit bit bigger holster.

I don't use a holster for my flashlight and I don't really carry a gun much anymore and I find that if I'm wearing jeans, I put my Fenix L1P in the watch pocket and I ALWAYS have my Lux-modded ARC on my keychain in my right pocket. If I'm wearing casual or dress pants, I usually either don't carry anything other than the ARC or I tuck it in my back pocket.

bagman

Enlightened
I'm left handed and carry my Gladius in a right handed cross draw baton holder (BH one) just behind my rigid cuff case (also at 45% cant)

I'm looking to get a bladetech kydex number for it and then will probably cant the cuffs up straight as well.

InFlux

Enlightened
Geddinight said:
<snip> After many years of forcing the light to my weak hand, it's second nature now. </snip>

That's a great idea! I'm gonna start carrying on my non dominant side today.

My McLux PD seems very well suited for this. Great ergonomics!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Well....first off, I've not been in the position of needing to quickdraw a flashlight!

Generally speaking, anything on my right (strong) side seems to get in the way of my seatbelt latch. I have my keys and coin change in my right front pants pocket so pocket size flashlights tend be carried in the left front pocket. Lights in a holster are carried on my left(weak) side.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I use two EDCs. Strong side, in holster, U2. Weak side, in pocket, HDS U60. I chose the "other" option for the poll based on that. It's easier to get into my left pocket, due to keys. Eeasier reach to the right for the holstered light. I'm not ambidexterous either, but I use each light about the same amount.