Cree UV Xlamp Mod Suggestions

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I want to put a Cree UV Xlamp 7090 in something, and would appreciate suggestions for:

-a good cheap host
-how to heat sink this LED
-and appropriate optics or reflectors for this LED

I was really impressed making some Lux III TV1K's DD on Mag 3D's with O-sinks. Thanks to everyone for their input. Now, however, UV has caught my interest. I like the Aleph 19UV at the Sandwich Shop, but don't have $200USD, and 5mm leaves me craving something more.

Any input would be appreciated
Thank you

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a Pelican body, a McModule, Dat2zip 350ma driver and modified PR reflector. Here are some pics. Those parts are available from the Sandwich Shoppe. I've got spare UVs :)

pelicanUV_1a.jpg

pelicanUV_1b.jpg

pelicanUV_1c.jpg

pelicanUV_1d.jpg

Last edited:

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Hotbeam-thats a nice looking mod you've got there. I like the rechargable and regulated setup there. Good work. PM sent about some of those poor lonely "extra" UVs.

Maybe I can throw out some ideas and you guys can stop me before I make too many mistakes. I was thinking about the following hosts:

Fenix (the cheaper single AA one)--assuming I don't have too many problems opening it up, I'd just swap emitters. This would be small, and run the LED at about the right level stock I think.

River Rock 2AA 1.5W Juptiter. This would be a cool host because I could put glowpaint in the dead space near the emitter but not touching the optic and the UV would charge it quickly and brightly.

Metal gear AAA 1W--or, if I decide to go large, Dorcy 3D 1W. For these, I was just looking into Madmax Lite, Wizard 1, or a downboy 400.

I guess I could put three or four of them in a mag, but my main question then would be which optic/reflector to choose. Has anyone experimented with this led? I also have a set of all the different size acrylic balls from the sandwich shop that I'm dying to use.

Whatever I do, I'm trying to keep the cost down because tomorrow I'm picking up an engagement ring:rock: and pay for it too.:wow: I really appreciate your suggestions.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The acrylic ball optics are not a particularly great choice for this LED. The reason is that while optical acrylic is great for the "normal" optical range of wavelengths, it is not so great in the UV ranges. The losses are pretty substantial, so polycarbonate solutions would be better.

I am still playing with the "normal colors" of the Cree for a nice reflector setup, using a blue monochromatic one as a guide. I am still playing around with this, but distracted by another project at the moment.