dive light

flashgreenie

Enlightened
Any divers out there who are CPF members??
I am looking for a general dive light which is not too big, medium throw, good flood, long run time.
Any suggestions???

flashlite

Enlightened
I don't dive but I like the PT 40 and it seems to fit your description. I think runtime is in the 4-5 hour range with the stock Halogen bulb. For even longer runtime, you could switch out the PR bulb with a LED drop-in replacement.

Last edited:

flashgreenie

Enlightened
thanks flashlite, looks about what I am looking for.
Any idea where I can order it online cheaper??
What kind of LED drop in does it take???

flashlite

Enlightened
Leisure Pro has the cheapest on-line prices for the Tec 40 that I've seen:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=PTCT4

As far as LED replacement bulbs go, here are some options:

http://www.ledcorp.com/catalog.html
http://www.theledlight.com/ledbulbs.html
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS

The first two are kind of pricey and I've never used them, so I can't really say how good they are but I think they're popular here on CPF. I do own the PR2-W-6V LED from Superbrightleds (3rd above) but I haven't used it yet. It's not a Luxeon so it's dirt cheap. Just make sure that whatever you get, get one that's made for 6v (4 cell) flashlights if you're going to use it in the Tec 40. You'll want one that has a standard PR base - like the C and D size Maglite's take.

That's the real beauty of the Tec 40. Since it doesn't take proprietary bulbs, you've got so many options.

Last edited:

flashgreenie

Enlightened
Damn, they only ship UPS to international. Not good since couriers always makes you pay customs duty and they charge you paperwork fee for that.:mad: Paperwork fee is going to be double what I will pay for the light and on top of the 30% customs duty as well.:ohgeez:
Have to find another way...

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I'm a diver, but it has been some time since I've bought a dive light....Where are you located at? If I might suggest, there are cpf members here that are also supporters that might be able to get you what you want or tell you where to get them. www.lighthound.com (jcciv, or john) might be able to direct you. I know if he can get the light he'll send it to you wherever you are and postage isn't bad...and there are other things you don't have to worry about (that you do with others). A1 customer service too if I might add.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
flash, just to let you know i've spoken to lighthound, john (jcciv) and he can get this light. As far as the postage, it would be us postal service (don't worry about paperwork and lots of fees)...plus the light itself is fairly inexpensive anyway and you are probably looking at about $5.00 for the postage if you get just the light. Best thing to do is go to his website www.lighthound.com or pm me and I'll send you his email address so that you can have a word.

Darell

Flashaholic
Just as a data point... You don't really want a dive light with "good flood" as that tends to give you lots of back scatter when all the little floaties reflect. Think driving in the fog with your headlights. Plus, shining through water tends to stir up the beam anway, making what was a tight beam in the air seem broader. Plus you need LOTS of light to get any sort of water penetration - so the more concentrated the beam, the better off you'll be.

With all that said, I haven't a clue what the best light is that would meet your criteria. Let me know when you find it!

cy

Flashaholic
barbolight in action

barbolight in action.JPG

socom45

Newly Enlightened
that's an impressive looking light....and the water looks nice too

flashgreenie

Enlightened
Darell said:
Just as a data point... You don't really want a dive light with "good flood" as that tends to give you lots of back scatter when all the little floaties reflect. Think driving in the fog with your headlights. Plus, shining through water tends to stir up the beam anway, making what was a tight beam in the air seem broader. Plus you need LOTS of light to get any sort of water penetration - so the more concentrated the beam, the better off you'll be.

With all that said, I haven't a clue what the best light is that would meet your criteria. Let me know when you find it!

Darell, you might be right. I haven't really done much night dives and I want to get more into that. Guess I just have to buy a couple of different lights and test them out. Taking beam shots should be fun underwater...:grin2:

flashgreenie

Enlightened

scuba

Enlightened
You might want to check out the little Ikelite Pca. Very surprising for its size.

scuba

Enlightened
CY, I'm curious to know where that picture was taken. The water looks very clear for cold water diving, at least compared to what I'm used too...

cy

Flashaholic
scuba, pic was originally posted by barbarin showing barbolight U-09 in action by cave divers somewhere in Spain.

U-09 is designed ground up for max reliability. tri-lux is wired in parallel. so in unlikely chance one luxeon goes dead, other two luxeon will stay lit to get you home. (all electronics can and do fail)

it's direct drive light that's regulated by careful selection of components. VIN is mated to VF of luxeon to limit current. NMH C cells is used due to cost, safety, capacity, flat discharge and performance in cold temps, etc.

Has one of best heatsink designs I've seen from ANY light. built like a tank! designed to be operated with gloves, very tactical grippy surface.

I've had the lens out and it's amazingly thick. Orings seals from top and side. most bomb-proof light I'm aware of.

main disadvantge is cost (aprox. $300) and availability. aprox. 10 lights have made it to US so far.

here's pic of internals: note solid copper heatsink

barbo internals.JPG