Good flashlight and leash combination

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine told me he wants one of these for Christmas...
http://tinyurl.com/9rhq2
I looked at it and the light is really pretty wimpy. Anyone know of a similar unit with a better light (doesn't need the radio by the way).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps it can be modded with a luxeon drop-in, like an Everled. It's probably PR based, but you'd have to check.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another version with a pedometer (a "pawdometer") instead of the radio for about $15. JC Penny lists it on their website.

However, these things look like a compromise on both the leash and the light. How about a good retractable leash, a decent light, and some velcro?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
chmsam said:
There's another version with a pedometer (a "pawdometer") instead of the radio for about $15. JC Penny lists it on their website.

However, these things look like a compromise on both the leash and the light. How about a good retractable leash, a decent light, and some velcro?

He he he, that's what I'm trying to sell him on but first I think I have to show him how crappy those things really are!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, not a great option for either device. We know for that price it is neither a good retractable leash ($25-$40) or flashlight.

This is one area where I do have experience. My flashlight lab is late night dog walks in rural (read very dark) NC. I doubt if the light on this leash is up to the task unless we are just talking about around the block in an urban setting.

There is another problem. What if you want to shine your light somewhere other than where your dog is headed, like behind you or off to the side? Won't happen.

Better to have a separate good light which of course could also be used for other than dog walking.

I take two or three lights out every night, but your friend may not be normal like we are. A good leash and something like an SL 4AA Propoly Luxeon would be a nice combo.

Mark

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm thinking about a leash with 2 retractors. One for the dog and a shorter one for the light (so you could pull it out to look around). Hrmmm, people have made fortunes on sillier things!