iTunes & iPod HELP!!!!

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have installed itunes on two different computers. I have ripped some of my CD's to one computer and some of my CD's to the other computer. I want to get ALL of my ripped CD's to computer number 2. Ipod is currently linked with computer #1 as the "home" computer.(ipods home that is). Computer 2 is going to be the master computer for the ipod in the near future.

I have been able to use the ipod as a hard drive and have been able to move all of the files of music from computer 2 onto the Ipod BUT I cannot get the files onto the computer from the Ipod.

I think it is set up this way to prevent file sharing from one ipodder to another. Appears to be NO WAY to dump computer 1 songs songs that are now on the Ipod to computer 2's itunes?

Am I going to have to take all of the CD's that I ripped to computer 1's itunes and turn around and rip them again to computer 2's iTunes in order to get them to show up in the libary on Computer 2?

Right now that is the only way I see that it can be done.

Does any one know any other way to do it?

The apple web site says that file transfers will only work from the computer to the Ipod but never from the Ipod to the computer, except possibly for photos.

I have the gen 4 ipod (iPod photo)

Many thanks!

mccavazos

Enlightened
Apple employs several types of caopy protection in their ipods. The first is of the Music files themselves, the AAC codec can be copy protected so that it only works on the computer that it was created on, and may only be burned a set amount of times. So if you used iTunes to import the music, the chances are that the files might not even work on the other computer. This is the only drawback to the far superior AAC codec, twice the quality of an MP3 and half the size. Every iPod is native to whatever computer that it was pluged into when it was first taken out of teh box. This enables teh iPod to automatically sync with your librarary and all of the changes that you have made. This also allows apple to avoid any copright laws and to avoid file sharing. When you set up an iPod on a computer, in order to use the iPod as a removable storage device you have to "Enable Disk Use" in itunes. If the ipod is not on a computer that it is native to, you will not even be able to do this to begin with. So to answer you question, yes you will probably have to re-rip all of that music. I;m not sure if apple is still making AACs native to their original computer or not, so another option would be to burn all of the data files of the music to cd or DVD and transfer them over. A CD using the cd codec can only hold 80 min of music, but if you burn the actual AAC or mp3 files, you can hold much much more. If the two computers are on the same network, you could simply share teh folder that conatins teh music and transfer it that way. The ipod is not a good tool to use for file transfer, it was designed for playing music, and that is what it does well.

Chris

turbodog

Flashaholic
You're going to lose the files on the ipod when you synch it with the new pc. You may have to do a reset before it will synch also.

If the files were ripped in mp3 form, and they likely were, you should be able to point itunes#2 to the new location of the FILES THEMSELVES. It will then add them to its database and will synch the whole mess when you attach the ipod.

lildave

Newly Enlightened
yes its great for transfering file you just have to use it int he hard drive mode, enable the hard drive and put you file ther not where the music goes. or get a program called ipod2pc its shareware (theres actully a few), and it will suck the songs off (the music portion). but you still can only sync with on computer. Unless you can move the hidden itune file to thinks its the same computer, na when you would sync with the oter it would overwrite whaterver is later. apple has a good forum under support ipod

Saaby

Flashaholic
The iPod has 2 types of files on it:
1 - Music Files in the Music Database: These are placed on the iPod by iTunes and you can play them back on the iPod. Normally these are inaccessible by any other computer.

2 - Normal files: These are files you have placed on the iPod through "Disc Mode." These files can be ANYTHING and are accessible the same way files would be on a USB thumb drive. These files can include music, but the music will not be playable by the iPod.

I believe Computer "1" and the iPod have the same music library, and you would like to combine all this music with the music on computer "2" to create a single, unified music library, correct? This is easy.

Option A - Get on VersionTracker and find a program, such as this one that will let you move music files off the iPod. Move all the music files off the iPod onto computer "2." I think the program just dumps the files into a folder on your PC, you'll then have to put them into iTunes, but that's as simple as drag and drop.

2 - Using the iPod as a portable hard drive, and not a music player, put all the music onto the iPod's file structure manually using iTunes and Windows Explorer. Take the iPod to computer 2 and transfer the files into iTunes.

C - Do the same thing as 2, but use a ethernet or wireless network as your transport method.

Amendium
This will work for MP3, AAC, and Protected AAC files. If you have any Protected AAC files on computer "1" you may have to authorize computer "2" before they'll play on the computer. That involves logging into your iTunes Music Store account.

Last edited:

imfrogman

Newly Enlightened
Google "transferring itunes files to another computer" & you will find detailed instructions on how to do this. I just did this 2 weeks ago. I believe you are not deleting the itunes music folder from the new itunes. You need to do this as you are replacing thet file with the one from the other itunes.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the good help. It seems that I will at least be able to get them all onto the ipod and if something goes south, I guess I can re rip them or at least take them to computer 1 and sync it again.