"Great Bands Nobody Ever Heard Of" thread

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm always looking for another reason to put a hole in my AM/FM radio, please, list yours.

I like these people. Does anybody else, anywhere, even know about these performers or bands?

Honky Tonk Confidential
Last Train Home
Stone Coyotes
The Derailers
The Hangdogs
The Paladins
Syd Straw
The Flamin' Groovies
The Plimsouls/Peter Case
Deke ****erson & The Ecco-Fonics

- And unless you're from L.A. ...

The Blasters
X

- Or unless you're from upstate NY...

The Colorblind James Experience
Frantic Frank and the Flattops

These are all musicians that are "A1 on the jukebox, but nowhere on the charts" (a Dave Edmunds song that says it all). Hey, while you're listing your favorites "under the radar" musicians of any style, try giving a listen to these and the ones anyone lists.

Support your favorite musician/music.

nightshade

Enlightened
I owned a Stone Coyotes "after-market" cd. Good stuff. Some now long defunct New Orleans bands worth honorable mention are: The Cold and The Shieks.
Also, if anyone knows of anyway to obtain copies of the aforementioned bands music PLEASE p.m. me. I'm in the process of rebuilding my music collection.

Hardball

Newly Enlightened
chmsam said:
Since I'm always looking for another reason to put a hole in my AM/FM radio, please, list yours.

I like these people. Does anybody else, anywhere, even know about these performers or bands?

Honky Tonk Confidential
Last Train Home
Stone Coyotes
The Derailers
The Hangdogs
The Paladins
Syd Straw
The Flamin' Groovies
The Plimsouls/Peter Case
Deke ****erson & The Ecco-Fonics

- And unless you're from L.A. ...

The Blasters
X

- Or unless you're from upstate NY...

The Colorblind James Experience
Frantic Frank and the Flattops

These are all musicians that are "A1 on the jukebox, but nowhere on the charts" (a Dave Edmunds song that says it all). Hey, while you're listing your favorites "under the radar" musicians of any style, try giving a listen to these and the ones anyone lists.

Support your favorite musician/music.

The Blasters!!! :rock: Yeah baby!

I'm still Po'ed that Phil and Dave split up.. Watched these guys a couple dozen times over the years.

Check out Dave Alvins stuff, he still writes great songs but regrettably they ought to have his brother's voice to sing them.

On a less than obscure note, Los Lobos, who have seen some success are still rocking. Saw them,(not the whole current band, but the nucleus), for the first time in a back yard Quinceanera party sometime around 1976. Saw them most recently at the House of Blues in Anaheim last year.

The rest:

Honky Tonk Confidential ?
Last Train Home ?
Stone Coyotes ?
The Derailers :devil: Have a CD and a boot
The Hangdogs ?
The Paladins Own a couple of CD's and saw them in SB in '03
Syd Straw ?
The Flamin' Groovies ?
The Plimsouls/Peter Case ? The Plimsouls rock, but i think they are all gone now
Deke ****erson & The Ecco-Fonic Proud owner of some Deke ****erson Tele- tunes.

rikvee

Enlightened
Australian music is now heard around the world, but in the seventies, some of you may have missed these ones:

Cold Chisel
The Angels
Rose Tattoo

These bands rocked hard, especially the latter, the Tatts could make AC/DC sound like a boy band....

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard bits and pieces of Rose Tattoo, The Angels, and The Sheiks. Neat stuff!

As for Dave Alvin, he's one of my all time favorites -- I saw the Blasters playing in the front window of bar in Rochester about 25 years ago. Brothers being brothers, I can understand why Phil & Dave rarely play together. However, I've seen Dave play solo probably 6 times and just caught the Knitters (Dave and members of X) over this past summer. This guy plays every type of music and plays it well. Also, I've found almost anyone connected with him is definitely worth hearing.

When he was with Hightone records, almost anyone on the label was interesting and worth hearing. He's now on YepRoc and it's even truer. Lots of good music on these two labels. Check 'em out.

Just saw Deke ****erson a few weeks ago. Wow, can he play!

Really like Honky Tonk Confidential (the name says it all -- honky tonk/swing). The have a couple of CD's out and play in the VA/DofC area.

Peter Case has played everything from new wave pop to folk. Great song writer and guitar player.

The other bands are folks I've listened to and/or seen and while different from one another, all have a boatload of talent.

I'll check out the other bands. Any more?

Latest posts