Looking For a Thrower For Hiking

Corallis

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a semi-inexpensive flashlight with a lot of throw for hiking in the woods. I currently use a Surefire L2 which is a great primary light, but there are times when I need something more like a spotlight to see things in the distance. I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on this, since it is only a backup light and it won't see nearly as much use as my L2. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at a Pelican M6 Incandescent, which seems to have pretty decent throw (78ish according to flashlightreviews.com, versus the 30ish of my L2). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, is there anyone that makes a small but powerful handheld spotlight that runs off of CR123A batteries?

Thanks for any information.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Corallis,

I use a 9P. Like you I use a L2 as a primary trail light and have a 9P strapped to my hip.

kelmo

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
semi-inexpensive flashlight >>>

Gotta be the Streamlight TL-3 incandescent. Check Quickbeams numbers on this one. Much less expensive than the 3 cell Surefires, and the bulbs cost a LOT less. It carries a spare ON the light.

Almost NOTHING in it's size range beats it.

I've seen them as cheap as $ 45-50.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I like the Pelican M6 incan and I love the Pelican M6 3 watt. I find the throw to be similar. If you like the led light, the batteries will last a little longer in the 3 watt. Both are good choices for throw.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag 6C with 5500 mAh NiMH batteries and a WA1111 bulb. 880 bulb lumens (572 torch lumens) for well over an hour, and it's long enough to be used for a defensive/offensive weapon. Mag 6C $20, 5500mAh batteries $45, WA1111 bulb $7, aluminum reflector $20, mineral glass lens $4, Total $96 (including batteries)

This is my goto light when things go bump in the night outdoors, or when the dogs escape and decide to go on a recon mission around the neighborhood.

If I need a bigger gun for backup, I'll also bring he Mag85 with FM 3V head.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
I think a Mag 6C is way too big for hiking.

My main hiking light is an HDS U60. It's very flexible and has a very useful throw/spill combination. It's what I use 95% of the time. I also carry a SL Scorpion for throw. I have a bad habit of replacing the batteries prematurely on the Scorpion because I always want it at maximum power. So I'm thinking of replacing it with a SL Strion because it uses a rechargeable Li-Ion. I intend to charge it fully before each trip. That way, I always have a standby thrower at full power. Besides, the Strion throws better than the Scorpion.

For self-defense, I look for the nearest rock or fallen branch. Or just run.:crackup:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diode said:
I think a Mag 6C is way too big for hiking.

Depends on whether you are talking urban jungle, suburban jungle or rural jungle, and whether you are going on a 20 mi hike or a 2 mi hike :laughing:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the perfect hiking light is HD45, I have (way too) many lights but this is the light I end up using again and again for hiking. It has enough light on low mode to follow the trail and on high mode it has very good throw. It outthrows my Surefire A2 and probably other 2 cell CR123 incans as well when used in high mode.

Sigbjoern

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Corallis said:
...semi-inexpensive flashlight with a lot of throw for hiking...only a backup light and it won't see nearly as much use as my L2...
As JohnK said, the SL TL-3 is one of the highest output, longest throwing stock compact light for a modest price.

The Pelican M6 incan. throws very well and is a little shorter, but the TL-3 is quite compact for a 3x CR123A light.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's quite a few good recommendations on this thread. The SureFire 9P isn't a bad choice for your particular back-up light on the hike.

I've seen the StreamLight TL-3 and that sure can throw the light out there and can be had for somewhere around $69.00.

The Pelicans that you've mentioned have good reviews too. I don't have Pelicans or Streamlights so I cannot comment much about them other than what I've read. . .But you can't go wrong with the 9P and you can upgrade it with a TurboHead for throw!—Besides the 9P by itself goes for $70.00!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Last edited:

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I have to vote for the Streamlight TL-3 also. As I leave for work at 5am, I have this one in my hand as I come out of my house to go to the car. My yard is several acres,and it sends a steaming white beam to all the far reaches as I scan the area as I am getting in my car. It is my pick out of all the lights you see in my sig. for best throw.

Vee3

Enlightened
Another vote for the TL-3 Incan.

I bought a 9P for camping but was a bit underwhelmed with its throw. I bought a TL-3 after much study here. I'm very happy with its throw. It's really amazing. Small, light, bright, well made and inexpensive ($58 shipped from Tool Solutions). A real micro-spotlight.

I thought about doing my 9P up with all the goodies, but at ~$175 in extras (On top of the $$$ for the 9P itself) to get a bigger light that might put out a bit more than the TL-3?

No thanks....

flashlite

Enlightened
The 4AA Bright Star Responder. A whopping 91.62 on Flashlightreviews throw chart and it's focusable from flood to spot.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Princeton Tec Surge (might be a little to big for your taste)
-Streamlight TL-3 (based on what I've heard, I've never used one)
-Inova T3 (I've taken to using this one a lot in the woods)
-Surefire 6P with the P61 HOLA inside (My usual backup light)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
There's quite a few good recommendations on this thread. The SrueFire 9P isn't a bad choice for your particular back-up light on the hike.

But the 9P costs a bunch more than the TL-3, doesn't it? And, though I love the 9P's beam for tactical use, it won't throw like the TL-3 either.

What I'd do: if you want a lighter-weight light, go with a TL-2 over the Pelican, the TL-2 is lighter and throws fine. If you're willing to take a bit of extra weight for more throw, go with the TL-3.

JanCPF

Enlightened
I'm using an L5 for main hiking light, and used to take out my C2 if I wanted to se something at a distance. But I found that an incan looks awfully yellow with my eyes adjusted to the white beam of my L5. I find this difference disturbing when I swap between the two.

Now I use an Aleph III (1 amp) head on an E1e body, and I'm very pleased with this combo; L5 wall of light for the 'bulk' of the runtime, and a very small throw monster in my pocket for shorter duration far reaching light.

May I suggest that you seriously consider LED for your throw light, to avoid the big difference in color temperature between your main light and your thrower.

Jan

Last edited: