Need a light recommendation

Kershaw

Enlightened
Hello all, i am looking for a led light to assist my mother in looking in her jewelry box and to use as a reading light(for late night reading). It cannot be a little photon like light as my mothers eye sight is not the best. My price range for the light is 10-40 dollars and preferably runs on either 1 123cell or 1 AA or AAA.
Your suggestions are appreciated!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother is in a similar situation and I got her a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. Uses familiar AA batteries, nice broad beam, decent run time, easy to press tail switch (no twisting motion to bother arthritic hands). But she doesn't use it for reading.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_jr_luxeon.htm

For reading, I wouldn't suggest a flashlight but a battery powered reading light. Below are some examples, but I've never used one so can't vouch for them:

http://store.advancedmart.com/2in1ledliflb.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005R8TK/002-0220051-6347215?v=glance
http://www.bookmatestore.com/book-light.htm

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe a Fenix L1. Rated at ~40 lumens, but its more like ~25 I think.

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... from first hand experience ... I'd suggest a regular LED light (5mm not Jupiter or Luxeon). As a supplemental light for low light reading, or just plain looking for something in a less than well lit space, the 1 AA and 2 AA Dorcys work pretty well for me and it adds enough blue to the color spectrum that I can often read without my reading glasses. I don't know how bad your mom's eyes are, but if they're really bad, maybe a light with more LEDs, like the Streamlight 4AA ProPoly 7 LED. I'd probably avoid 123 cells given their cost, and even worst what your mom might have to pay at the retail level for one. Jupiters and Luxeons are far too strong, and the beams too focused for this kind of usage. There are plenty of options available, I would somewhat doubt that you would need to go beyond $20 for something usable.

Kershaw said:
Hello all, i am looking for a led light to assist my mother in looking in her jewelry box and to use as a reading light(for late night reading). It cannot be a little photon like light as my mothers eye sight is not the best. My price range for the light is 10-40 dollars and preferably runs on either 1 123cell or 1 AA or AAA.
Your suggestions are appreciated!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kershaw said:
How many lumens does the SL Jr. luxeon put out?

Don't know what it's rated for but the Flashlightreviews test measured it at 15 overall output units, roughly equal to 22 lumens. That's about 2.6 times the output of an AA Minimag, which is the same size. The JR uses 2 AAs, but has pretty good run time at about 3 hr to 50%.

The Fenix is also a good light, probably more overall output, but puts out a somewhat narrow beam. You definitely wouldn't use it for reading, but it's a fine general purpose light.

Likewise the Nuwai Q3 -- 1 CR123A, output roughly equal the Fenix, broader beam, but shorter run time.

One of the brightest, moderately priced ($64), broad-beamed LED lights is the Nuwai TM-301X-5. Uses 2x CR123As, but it really kicks out the light and in a broad beam useful for close/med range use inside a house. Flashlightreviews measured the output at 40 units, roughly equal to 60 lumens. However most people feel it has significantly more output than that.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I dont think a flashlight is great for reading as mentioned above. As far as a flashlight I think the Jr. Luxeon has several real advantages for your intended user. First, it runs on double AAs. While I dont know the exact situation, I think giving an older person something that requires them to get batteries from the internet or pay $8 for them in the drug store is a problem. Second, while we may want the smallest light we can get with the output, an older person, due to general age, arthritis or whatever can probably better use a little bit bigger light that is easier to handle. The Streamlight Jr. Luxeon is great given those issues. It is basically a turbocharged LED based minimag.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,

As one who occasionally uses a light for reading, I'd suggest that those of you recommending Luxeons for reading try it for yourselves. Trust me, the amount of glare that you get back from a Lux is going to make it far too uncomfortable to read. Bear in mind that the light will most likely be less than two feet from it's objective (whether it be reading material or jewel case).

Anything with a focused beam is a bit too focused on too narrow an area as well, hence the suggestion for a conventional multi-LED instrument for this purpose (broader area coverage, less glare). If arthritis is a factor, the Streamlight Pro Poly 4AA has a relatively light sensitive switch that should should be easy to operate and the shape is such that it would be relatively easy to hold for a person with arthritis.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Nuwai Q3 with a removable head is a good way to go.
I have a couple of those single cr123 lights on hand.
I already got the heads on those loosened for use as a floodlight for when that function is needed for reading.

Other options could be the Costco led lights at 2 for 24 bucks.
These also have removable heads for use as reading lights and run fine on rechargeable nicad, or nimh AA batteries.
These also run fine on shamefully cheap alkaling batteres as well.
I have a couple I can let go with good looking, daylight tinted white QYOH binned leds installed.
Email me for info if at all interested in either of these, or just keep poking around in here for an ideal light. :)

Luxman

Enlightened
I think the 1xAA Gerber Infinity Ultra would make a good reading and close range searching light. It also has a long run time and costs about $20.

jkuo13

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me that you would not really want to use a flashlight as a reading light, at least not for reading for an extended period of time. LED booklights, reading lights, and headlamps might work better for reading and can be found pretty cheap (less than $20).