Touchup HAIII finish?

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Ok, I'm a bit of a dork, but I've got a Surefire Centurion C3 in the HAIII finish and it's got a bit of wear from use and carrying. Is there any way to touch it up so that it can look fairly new again?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
WilsonCQB1911,
welcome.gif
to CPF.

I've asked the same question before, and been told you can't get there from here.

That being said, if this thread generates any suggestions that would be semi-acceptable, a lot of us would be interested.

Last edited:

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome :), I appreciate that. I figured as much. I feel a little silly since it's just a flashlight and all, but it is a very expensive tool. Great light though. Blows those huge maglights out of the water in every respect. I think I want to get an L2 next.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Wilson, Hi, unfortunately, as was said you can't get there from here. That's the only bad thing about anodized aluminum.... no matter how hard it is or what color once there is a spot worn through, there are 3 options (as with on firearms suffering this)...
1. Live with it and be happy (I'm so picky it irritates me).
2. provided you have a permanent marker (black permanent/ laundry markers work wonders on black anodized parts such as flashlights and receivers (guns)...but I haven't seen an OD color marker for the HA III finish. Anything is ok if the color matches.
or
3. send it off, have the entire thing refinished with hard anodizing or even teflon (looks good and is tough)... there are some out there that do it... especially for firearms receivers and parts.
These are the only 3 options I know of but if someone out there knows any more, I'm all ears... Besides, we are all here to help each other out (well, most of us are)

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilson,

Welcome. :)

Didn't you know hard anodizing comes in markers nowadays? Instant Anodizing Patch: Sharpie Permanent Markers. ;) :D

Short answer: No.

Long Answer:
The Sharpie may be 'crude' but it works for a little while (it will eventually rub off). If cosmetics is all you're looking for it'll usually do the trick. Otherwise, the only way to get it looking new again would be to disassemble the light, strip all the anodizing off, clean it up, and have it reanodized. With the amount of trouble that would be it would end up being cheaper to buy a new light. :crazy:

-Enrique

Navck

Enlightened
I hear that airsoft players like to go to an machine shop, and ask them to anodize their guns (Through a process where they take dye, eletrcoplating and such) to protect their aluminum slides.
I own an airsoft replica and the aluminum has taken a beaten lately... So if possible, anyone like to try this?

Also - TAKE EVERYTHING but the part you want andozed out.
Another method is to use that paint stuff, spray it on, and cook it in your oven (Another method I read)

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I've used the touch up pen myself and it IS enamel... not impressed with it. Magic marker looks better.
The aluminum black though.... hmmmm. Haven't seen that one before. But then, I've been here in the UK the last 3 years and we don't see things like that here. Good to know though for future refs.
Can someone out there let us know how this stuff works on black anodized aluminum?
Any suggestions on the military od finish?

Vee3

Enlightened
I've tried the BC aluminum black. After much experimentation I gave up. It just doesn't take well, even with the best of care (And multiple methods) of application.

I was trying to develop a method using it for a touch-up for machined aluminum parts that had rack marks from the anodizing process.

My company decided to stay with our tried-and-true method - Sharpiedizing (Using a Sharpie and hoping the customers never noticed. Usually worked).

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
I've used the Aluminum Black on several of my gun parts and it works great as long as you DEGREASE the area that you are working on. A lot of people end up being disappointed using it but what they tend to do is put it on the surface "as is" and don't use proper preparation techniques.

If you do decide to try it, use a q-tip and don't apply it to a area larger than the one you want to blacken. It tends to add a slight, odd "wet" discoloration to previously anodized surfaces.

I recommend it. Just make sure you use some acetone/denatured alcohol to degrease the repair area..

Last edited: