Quick halloween story

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
So my next door neighbor does his house up for halloween. He's got spooky sounds, fog machine, flashing lights, jack-o-lanters, the works. I bring my twin boys over (they're 6-years old) and they're pretty scared. Well, they finally get the nerve to go over and get some candy.

As we're leaving, my neighbor's son comes out of the dark trees wearing a weird mask, dark clothes, and moaning. He makes a move towards me and I flash him in his eyes with my SL Strion for a good two minutes -- all the while I'm thinking, "if he gets any closer, I'm slugging him."

I hear him kind of go..."Whoaa!" and he puts his arms up to shield his eyes through the mask and turns around to walk away. Guess he wasn't expecting to be blinded by the light.

I chuckled to myself as I focused the Strion on his quickly retreating backside.

Anybody else have some good halloween stories?

--Tony

Schuey2002

Enlightened
"Anybody else have some good halloween stories?"

I don't have anything worth telling (just helping other people by illluminating things like steps, walkways, dark sidewalks, and even a little girl tying her shoes in the dark as her father stood by "lightless"), but your story brought a chuckle, Tony. :)

Ready

Newly Enlightened
My son was running to the next house, down a grassy slope. He didn't see the 4 foot retaining wall and went sailing off onto the neighbors driveway. He was pretty banged up and complaining his leg hurt. I had my Surefire E2 with me and was able to determine that nothing was broken and just a few scrapes. Thank God. He was off in no time to get more candy.

Ready

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
Not much to say here either other than some illumination for costume adjustments. Had to chk on my 6yr old daughter (tinkerbell) after a spill on someone's driveway... Sounded much worse than it was. Oh, forgot to mention, illumination provided by my SF L4 w/ mcgizmo 2 stage tail cap!!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love these stories!

My wife and I were walking to a friend's party in a DC neighborhood (Northwest, almost in MD) and we get to this poorly lit intersection where a whole family group is trying to cross. Stop signs only, no traffic lights and cars really weren't stopping even though this is a residential area FULL of kids out trick or treating. The people are all in dark or hard to see costumes and not a light to be seen among them so I stepped out and played "crossing guard" with a surefire L2 until they were safely across the intersection. I looked at the dad as he crossed and said "get some flashlights"!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The houses are a little far apart around here and we wouldn't get to many except that we have been borrowing my father-in-laws golf cart (he doesn't play golf, but still has a golf cart, go figure!) Unfortunately his cart is not equipped with any lights for night driving at all. So I put a custom made AA powered array of amber LED's in a radio shack case on the back deck to let other folks out know that they are approaching something, and use a Newui 5 watt 2xCR123 light as my headlight. It's more than bright enough to light my way ahead in the rather pitch darkness around here. It does mean that I have to steer with one hand, but thats not too difficult.

Also had a dozen or so different colored light sticks hanging all over the cart and my daughter was sporting several GITD necklaces and bracelets and all the other fun stuff that kids love. My wife was wearing the color changing LED wand thing.

The 5wattt was also very useful for lighting up dark steps and dangerous driveways so that my daughter didn't fall running to and from any houses. I just light up the path from the cart where necessary.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I used my Surefire U2 to go trick or treating w/ my daughter and we both had on Inova 24/7 lights set on strobe mode on our backs so we could be visible!! It was fun, Daylight Savings time allows me to find even more ways to use my lights!!

TorchMan

Enlightened
Not as interesting as these, but I do have one. A cold front roared through here around 5:30, and with the time change and dark skies, it was dark in the house. A friend lives north of me, IMed that the wind was incredible. It just started to get windy here at that point, darkest NW clouds I can remember.

Wind started blowing as hard as the Hurricane Rita did here, and vertical rain. Some lightning. Power went out.

I used the VB-16, a couple of levels below full power to get around the house for the 20 minutes or so the lights were out. Did suprisingly well for ceiling bounce.

The rain made for an almost trick or treaterless night. I didn't light anyone up with the M*g 74 or any other light.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
Here's one I'm pretty sure is Halloween related.

My wife was clearly in "distress" as we were driving home from
dinner the other night. About a mile from our house, she said,
"If you don't get me home in the next thirty seconds you idiot, I'm going
to sh.t in my pants . Hurry!" Well, I broke a few traffic laws, but
got us home lickety split. I hadn't even come to a complete stop in
the driveway before she was out of the car and running toward the
door.
I did manage to grab my silver Dorcy Metalgear AAA and shine it on the
door as she unlocked it. I was still in the car about twelve feet away,
but the beam looked perfectly shaped; throw was fine, and the spill allowed
for enough light to cover the entire doorway.

Even though this happened on Tuesday, I believe it should count because
my wife said she ate too much Halloween candy and that's what gave her
runs.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I posted this in Craig's Happy Halloween thread:

greenLED said:
OK, here's a Hallow's Eve story for ya:

greenLED, Mrs. Green, and the two greenBOYZ went trick-or-treating tonight. Big family event! So, we're going across a street and I see Mr. Dude Driving a Large SUV coming at us. He was still about 1/3 of a block from was, but it didn't seem to me like they were going to slow down or stop, so I whipped out my GL3R (Thank You, Jon!!:wave:) and I flashed the light in his general direction twice. Mr. Dude immediately stopped! :eek: Talk about compliance. Thank you Mr. Dude for letting us cross the street safely. (and, NO, my intention was not to "blind him" or anything like that, I just flashed twice in his general direction to reinforce our group's presence.)

After that, the spirit of Hallow's Eve must've possessed greenLED 'cuz he couldn't stop himself from shining his light up trees, down alleyways, taking small detours so that greenDUDES and their friends walked on the darker side of the street and, he must admit, making fun of one of his neighbors who was walking around with a miniMag with almost dead batteries. :green: :laughing:

Oh, yeah, Robocop, if you read this: of all the lights my son could've chosen for Halloween, he carried the light you made for me. :twothumbs Thank you, My Friend, for keeping my son safe, even from a distance. I'm afraid I'm not getting my light back, though. 'zat a good thing?:thinking:

danielo_d

Enlightened
I, too, posted this in Craig's Happy Halloween thread: :popcorn:

danielo_d said:
I was out w/the family and friends trick or treating. Wanted to go light, [pun intended].
Only carried 4 small lights.
- RiverRock 2AAA
- 1 AA Dorcy modded with a 1/2 Watt 8mm and Acrylic Hemisphere.
- Dorcy Metal Gear [primary light]
- Dorcy Spyder w/new CR123s [for bright blasts for fun]

Metal Gear did fine lightin up dark sidewalks and porch steps and signaling oncoming cars. A few of the kids wanted to play with my lights so I let them. I told one of the girls [8 yrs old] not to shine in anyone's eyes. She listened for about 5 minutes. Then she blasted her dad in the eyes. [Dorcy 1/2 watt]. He promptly took it away. Gave it to his 1 yr old who was riding on daddy's shoulders. Guess what! In five minutes time, he promptly blasted his dad in the eyes, too. I couldn't help but laugh.
I had a good time. More importantly, the kids had a blast.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
here's my (late) haloween story.

My wife volunteers to habnd out candy while I take our 2.5 year old daughter out to trick or treat. She runs up to the front door and then back, holding my hand in between , especially in the dark stretches. I spot a bunch of rowdy teenagers down the block coming our way. Oh, yeah, I'm dressed in black jeans, a black turtleneck, and black jacket with a black 3D Maglight in one hand. She's dressed like a little princess (she'd had enoguh of the Tigger costume.)

So after one house we're back to the sidewalk and the kids are getting closer and running, laughing and talking, not really paying attention to where they're going. I clear my throat, but not all the kids are paying attention. Finally a collision looks iminent as one girl is talking to her friends and running backwards.

Out comes the Mag 3d. Except, it's really a MAG85!!!!!! I just tap the on switch for half a second.

Needless to say, collision avoided.......

chuck4570

Enlightened
All of the kids got a kick out of being flashed with the blue LED's from my Surefire A2, it really made thier costumes pop and glow. Lots of screams, (do it again,do it again), lots of fun had by all.

Chuck