U-Binned Mini-D

wtraymond

Enlightened
I whipped it out and she said, "oh my, it's so small!"

2d1dmd.jpg

Stock Maglite 2D, modded 1D, new Mini-D
MiniD.JPG

Just the right size.

I just got this body back from Modamag's Mag Mod Service and he did a great j0b - thanks Jonathan! The body is 3 3/4" overall and is bored for 4 AAs or 3 17mm li-ions in a holder. There is enough room for 17650s if you trim down the bottom of the o-sink and mod the tailcap and spring. There's also plenty of room with the AAs for a Fatman if you want a Lux V or multiple Lux IIIs.

I installed a UX1L (thanks PhotonFanatic!) on an O-sink (thanks Yaesumofo and FlashlightLens!) and it's direct-driven by four NiMH AAs in Modamag's 1D-to-4AA holder. I trimmed the tailcap spring very slightly to reduce the pressure needed to install the cap.

There is no switch. I just twist "ON" and "OFF" at the tailcap. It works better than I expected. Only about 1/16th of a turn shuts it off.

If you have access to a lathe you could go shorter. I figure 3" for 4AAs in Modamag's holder, 2 1/4" with a tailcap mod and a 3 AA holder, even shorter if CR123s or CR2s are used.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Outstanding!. Thanks for sharing :)

I am in the process of getting two of these mini 1D bodies from Jonathan as well ;)

Will

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sick!

(wow, it's been a long time since i used that word!)

That's it. I may be getting a PSP for my birthday (couldn't resist! i love the little thing!) but for christmas, it's gonna be all torches, friend(s).

maybe i should sign up for a mag1d?

eh, probably once i know how much money i get for christmas.

:)

--neg

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, you're quite quick with the mods. I just sent those to you couple days ago.

Your calculation is correct 3" for standard Mag spring, and 2.25" for a tailcap spring mod. But that leaves no room for the thread and/or the hotlips. If you use a PTS/PQS then it's another story :D

BTW: a total of 10x were produced, wtraymond is the majority share holder. I only have 2x green ones ;)

wtraymond

Enlightened
The 2 1/4" version would only handle three AAs in the bored tailcap. Therefore, you wouldn't need to bore the body out for four. You may also need to shave the o-sink or hotlips down so it's not so deep - maybe 1/4" deep. Tha would still leave room for a convertor in the tail of the heatsink and maybe a head spring instead of a tail spring.

I don't know if the wall of the tube is thick enough, but if you used CR123s or CR2s you could make the body so short that the internal and external threads overlap. With the tail cap bored out the light would be only slightly longer than the head itself. With a mounting system, that would make a great bike light!

wquiles

Flashaholic
modamag said:
Will, you're quite quick with the mods. I just sent those to you couple days ago.

What I meant is that thanks to you "twisting my arm" with these sub-D's, I will be soon be building one of these smaller mini-D's as well soon ;)

Since I (personally) don't like the pencil-wide beam of the stock refletor, I will likely build a similar version to this one here but with 3x 20mm ISM reflectors :bow:

If only I had more time to work on these cool projects :mecry:

Will

wtraymond

Enlightened
I think he meant me, "Will." But I agree with what you said about the narrow beam of the stock reflector. I also have plans for some Mini-D multi-Lux mods. I should order some MOP reflectors as well.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks Bill (Will) - now things make much more sense to me ;)

This "new" smaller body does have some interesting posibilities - I absolutely love the small size of the "normal" 1D that I got from Jonathan, so I am really looking forward to the new Sub-D's that I just ordered from him :D

Will