PayPal and American Express?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Is anyone else having problems with PayPal and their American Express Card? This is not a corporate card.

For some reason, PayPal and American Express can't seem to get their act together. Last year, it took them 4 months to finally get a transaction staightened out. Yesterday, PayPal sent notice to two Ebay Sellers, that I did a chargeback, on my purchases with them. These were purchases made in September, which American Express still hasn't billed me for. For some reason, PayPal and American Express don't seem to synch up very well. I keep a log of all credit card purchases, and had paid for the September AmEx charges on 10/03/05. PayPal blames AmEx, even though PayPal sent the notice to the Ebay Sellers. AmEx blames PayPal, saying they didn't do a chargeback. Both tell me that only I can initiate a chargeback. I didn't do it either.

Anyway, I repaid both sellers last night. Hope I don't get double billed in the end. Had to pay them with AmEx again, in order to keep the record with the same company.

Let me know if you have also had issues with PayPal and American Express.

oldgrandpajack

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am using an Amex exclusively for PayPal and except for the difficult registration process and PayPal always wanting me to use something other than Amex it works like a charm.
bernie

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The cases are now closed. PayPal let the chargebacks go thru, since I repaid both Ebay sellers last night. PayPal claims American Express initiated the chargebacks. I don't believe PayPal. American Express never even knew about the two September purchases. There is a communcations problem between PayPal and American Express, when I charge purchases with my American Express Card. I made six purchases with my AmEx card, in September. American Express was only billed for four of them. The chargebacks were for the purchases that American Express wasn't billed for. You tell me, how would American Express do a chargeback on purchases they weren't aware of? Looks to me, that PayPal initiated the chargebacks on their own, in order to recover the funds that were paid to the Ebay sellers, and which weren't reimbursed by American Express. Something stinks here! :rant:

oldgrandpajack

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
PayPal has done another chargeback with one of the two previous payments. Again, I had nothing to do with it.

This time, PayPal also resticted my Personal PayPal account, which uses my American Express Card. I have to wait for my next American Express statement, before my Personal Account has the restictions lifted.

I have contacted both PayPal and American Express this morning, and they may be able to clear everything up, in a few days. Then again, it could take weeks.

LET ME TELL YOU, PayPal is draconian, if you do a chargeback. If your PayPal account is important to you, think twice before doing a chargeback. Then think it over some more. You might be better off, going through PayPal's dispute resolution, instead.

oldgrandpajack

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not understand people that give Paypal absolute control over your credit rating when you link them to YOUR credit card, or bank account.

One screw up like the above, and you might not be able to purchase a home, or a car, because Paypal has shut you down.

I had Paypal at one time, but quickly found out the problems they can cause. Canceled it.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Worst part of this, is that I had nothing to do with it. I just found out that the second purchase has been chargedback again. It's like I'm caught up in some kind of evil software loop!

In the meantime, my Personal PayPal account is limited to receiving $500 a month now. Was frozen earlier today. PayPal is punishing me, for something I didn't do. Also, the sellers are being screwed, for no reason whatsoever.

None of this effects my credit rating, as I have a credit balance with American Express, and always have paid everything on time and in full. Wonder if the credit balance could be causing this evil software loop.

This is only happening with my American Express account, which is used with my Personal PayPal account. I've never had a problem, with the credit card used with my Premier PayPal account.

oldgrandpajack

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This just reinforces my refusal to join Paypal. What a nightmare!

Oldgrandpajack, if I were you, I'd document all that has happened in writing, and mail it to Paypal, with a copy mailed to Amex. And I'd send it Certified Mail with Return Receipts. Telehpone calls and perhaps even email may end up "disappearing..."

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
PayPal has changed my Personal PayPal account back to normal. Everything is OK now, as far as I'm concerned. Still don't know how this happened. I don't think PayPal does either. Wonder if this will happen again next month?

oldgrandpajack