E2L Outdoorsman question

FLHunter3006

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered my first LED: a Surefire E2L from Brightguy. Got a couple of questions:
What is the life of the LED's?
What holster do you recommend?
What do you like,dislike on the light.
Any other comments on the light will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Emilio

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are getting a great light. The LED life is many thousands of hours. I have never had a failure or any noticeable degrading on any of the SF LEDs that I have.

I like the Ripoffs CO-63 holster. Fits great and has one of the best metal clips going. I use a bunch of Ripoffs holsters.

I do not have any complaints with the E2L.

You might want to add a SF F04 Beamshaper. This slips over the bezel and makes a nice diffuse light for close tasks or reading. Costs $12. Probably the cheapest SF part you will ever see or buy. Fits any lights with 1" bezel. Almost a mandatory accessory, IMO.

You can also add an E2 incan head and gain the extra use of an incan light using an MN02 or MN03 lamp assembly. You can find these on eBay or in B/S/T here on CPF.

Mark

buba

Newly Enlightened
Good choice and a great building block body (E2) and head (KL1) . The smallest surefire holster that will fit the E2L is the V82 but the V20, V21 or V25 (V2x's are the same size, different belt attachements) give a little more length and velcro flap room. I would second the F04 recommendation but go for the larger ripoff or surefire V2x holster to allow room for the F04 if you do.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think its the cheapest / best EDC you can buy.... +1 on the beam shaper/diffusion filter, get rechargeable's for it.... its a great light!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also recommend a F04 beam diffuser. The only thing you might not like is the beam is a bit square. You get used to it really quick though.

Don't worry about the life of the LED, we can only give you an estimate. Since it's a Surefire, if it fails they will replace it.

TotalNewb

Banned
Sean said:
Don't worry about the life of the LED, we can only give you an estimate. Since it's a Surefire, if it fails they will replace it.
So the LED is covered by warranty? I figured it would be factored in as a "lamp" as far as their warranty is concerned.

Does anyone have pictures of what the F04 beamshaper does?? I hear so many people recommend it so it must be a good thing, I just can't figure out what it actually does :p

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
It's one great little light. Clean white beam, 3+ hr. regulated runtime. For me, it's the perfect EDC light... and back-up to anything larger that I carry for night-time walks.

Unlike many small/pocketable lights, it actually has decent Throw for outside use in the face of ambient light "clutter."

As Sean says, a beamshaper helps diffuse its focused beam for inside use, though I find that the old "ceiling-bounce" method works fine.

The E2L (or an E2 with a KL1 head) is a real sleeper, and a keeper.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The F04 beamshaper makes the square, narrow spot into a very nice, wider spot with much softer edges. It adds just a touch more spill than the KL1 by itself(which is almost nothing). Think of it as a 6P incan beam minus most of the spill light and almost as bright.(the F04 does reduce the beams intensity a bit). I love the F04/KL1 combo because you can instantly have the flexibility of great throw and brightness or more smooth and even light with less distance. Definately worth the money.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
TotalNewb said:
So the LED is covered by warranty? I figured it would be factored in as a "lamp" as far as their warranty is concerned.

Yes, the LED is covered under warranty.

TotalNewb said:
Does anyone have pictures of what the F04 beamshaper does?? I hear so many people recommend it so it must be a good thing, I just can't figure out what it actually does :p

Here you go:
kl1f044tt.jpg

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
So i take it most people keep the F04 on at all times and only take it off when you need the throw?

I have been thinking about this light for a while, need something to recycle the not dead yeat batts from the A2, and this puppy I think just bought herself that prize.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hogx1 said:
So i take it most people keep the F04 on at all times and only take it off when you need the throw?

I have been thinking about this light for a while, need something to recycle the not dead yeat batts from the A2, and this puppy I think just bought herself that prize.

yep... i keep the F04 beamshaper/diffusion filter on my E1L or E2L all the time (mostly because its the best place to store it)... but i use the E2L mostly with the F04 on... rather than off.... i usally need close soft bright light for finding things I drop or my way through my house...

however having the ability to pop my cap off and have razor long range throw is really nice..... the ability to run rechargeable's etc... when i'm outside on hikes or whatever my E(1/2)L complements my headlamp a lot... my headlamp illuminates the general area where I walking... but if i need to see a distant object I just shine my E2L...

rmacias

Enlightened
jar3ds said:
yep... i keep the F04 beamshaper/diffusion filter on my E1L or E2L all the time (mostly because its the best place to store it)... but i use the E2L mostly with the F04 on... rather than off.... i usally need close soft bright light for finding things I drop or my way through my house...

however having the ability to pop my cap off and have razor long range throw is really nice..... the ability to run rechargeable's etc... when i'm outside on hikes or whatever my E(1/2)L complements my headlamp a lot... my headlamp illuminates the general area where I walking... but if i need to see a distant object I just shine my E2L...

Does the F04 have the flip up lens or does it have to be completely removed for the normal beam?

RJM

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
rmacias said:
Does the F04 have the flip up lens or does it have to be completely removed for the normal beam?

RJM

No flip-up. Just friction fit rubber. Keeps it nice and compact. The flip-up filters tend to increase the head diameter a lot.

Numbers

Enlightened
Sean
Those pictures are very helpful since I am considering the L4 and adding the KL1 head. That's the cheapest way to get both heads. The beam shaper is no longer a question for me, I'm getting it.

I dont want to be greedy, but any chance you have a KL4 head beamshot to compare to the pix you posted above?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have lux readings for the KL1 without and with the beamshaper?

Just curious...

Bob