Gonna pop the question on one knee, HELP!!!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Hey guys and gals, I'm taking my girlfriend to Savannah, Ga on Monday 11/07/05 through 11/11/05. We are going to be there all week, and I'm going to ask her to marry me. I want to do it on Monday, the day we get there so we can have all week to celebrate.

So heres what I've got set up. We get to the bed and breakfast and check in at 2pm. I have a horse and carraige picking us up at 6 pm, which will give us an tour through Savannah for an hour and will drop us off at dinner at 7pm, at a real swanky restaraunt. (there will be a bottle of champagne on the carraige ride)

When should I propose???

Should I do it before the horse carraige picks us up at the bed and breakfast? This way she could fix her make up because she will tear up b/c she has no idea I'm gonna do this.

Or should I do it during the tour??

Or should I do it at dinner??

Or wait till we get back to the bed and breakfast???

I want your input, any ideas, what do ya think???

Any input appreciated,
PSM

BTW: If your wondering, I'm gonna carry my HDS U60 XRGT that night. I was going to carry my silver raw, but I need more light just in case....

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont know but id do it under the stars on the beach in savanah

*Bryan*

Enlightened
PSM,
First 90210 and now this.... J/K

Do you normally do things like the buggy ride etc... or is this the first time doing stuff like that. If it is, she might think something is up and have a idea of the proposal.

If the buggy ride and swanky rest. are not the norm when going away and such, "I" would do it when you get back to the B & B.

Now if you normally do things like the buggy ride, swanky rest and such, I would do it at dinner. Pull the chair for her to sit and get on one knee. She won't realize right away because you just pulled her chair for her to sit.

To be honest, it will be fine any way you propose. How can it be bad unless she !@#$%^&*.......so....

Good luck to you PSM. Being married is great and my wife is my best friend. One of the best things that happened to me in my life, along with having my daughter so.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now generally speaking people are always sure what the answer will be before they ask. BUT in case something doesn't quite work out you should make sure there is a way to "save face" for everyone.

For example I had dated my wife for nearly two years and knew that when overwhelmed with anything she tends to go completely blank for a bit while she processes. In a large public setting that might have been very awkward for everyone so I proposed to her privately while we were walking through a nice little garden near city hall. Sure enough she stared at me like I had grown two more heads and then after a minute or so started grinning and crying and said yes.

The big surprise for her was when we got to the resturant and after we sat down all of our friends and her parents joined us for dinner (I'd had them waiting for us). It was a very nice night.

So I guess my bottom line is this.... Consider how she reacts to big surprises (how SHE reacts, NOT how you want things to go) and then tailor the asking to that knowledge. It worked very well for me (4 years and counting).

Best wishes to you both! :buddies:

was_jlh

Enlightened
PSM, Raggie has the right idea. Sounds like you have a memorable evening planned. Do all that you described, go back to the B&B and suggest a walk on the beach. Go to a secluded area, hopefully the weather and moon cooperate, then do the down on one knee thing. IMHO, if you do it any earlier in the activities, she won't remember much after the ring ( assuming she says yes :) ). This way she'll have an evening full of memories to share in the future that culminated in a way that she won't want to forget.

Of course, I'm biased, been married 23 years and my wife loves to walk on the beach at night.

I wish you the best.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what ever ya do dont lift ya left leg and fart and then say marry me .now perhaps ya could but i dont sugest it

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies guys, I know she will say yes. We looked at rings about 7 months ago, so i knew what she would like.

I want to do it in public, but I know she would cry and her make up would run.

All of you have good points, our B&B is a few miles from the beach, so thats definatley out.

I'm leaning to do it at about 5pm, 1 hour before the horse buggy gets there.

This way we can celebrate all night.

-PSM

Geologist

Enlightened
Oh I thought you were gonna pop another question "Honey, can I buy a new light, scanner, TV, or the complete 90210 series on DVD" !

OK enough foolishness aside - it sounds like you already have a plan in place! You don't want to do it in public because of the makeup thing so it is either before or after. Might as well do it before like you suggest. That way *IF* something didn't go right, then it would be better to happen at the begining of the evening versus the end. If you did it at the end, there would always be the possibility of something happening during the evening (external snafu) that would muck up asking her later...

Congradulations!!!!!

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
You could plan something dramatic for right after when you get home from Savannah and she's royally peeved at you, expecting the proposal to have come on the trip. :D IIRC, the Southeast is outside their area, but if you were taking Southwest Airlines, I'd ask them to work it into some kind of announcment or stunt they like to pull on the flight home, when she's at her low point, thinking she'll have to wait...

I've only got one bit of advice for proposing to a woman, and it dosen't apply here, but I feel it's worth mentioning for anyone else who's thinking about it.

If you truly want to surprise your prospective fiancee, do it this way: Buy a cheap but impressive looking CZ ring at a department store for the proposal, then take her "ring shopping" for the real one after she accepts so she can get what she wants to wear.

Too many couples have the spontinaiety ruined by "ring shopping" etc. It's a touchy game to play, being the jerky "permanent bachelor" who won't discuss an engagment with the girl etc. and you play it too long with her at your obvious peril, just so it's truly a surprise when the proposal comes. This way you can spring it on her, and show you were prepared well before she starts steering you twoards the jewelry stores in the mall, "just to look".

My own proposal was botched by a loudmouthed "friend" who openly discussed a sale of some of my valulable firearms in front of my then girlfriend. (He was a "ladies man" raised [i.e. spoiled] by his mother and two sisters, and had difficulty keeping men as friends. His complete ignorance of the "guy code" led to his slip…)

An argument later ensued with my soon to be fiancee about what I was doing with the money, (I wouldn't tell her, and she knew I was somewhat broke at the time), and I finally had to end it by telling her I was raising money for a ring. It was a satisfying way to end the argument and render her speechless, but any hope for a spontaneous proposal went out the window.

If I had that idea in the first place, I could have just sprung it on her, and the surprise would have been mine.

Also, look into finding a diamond broker in your area, and tell him your budget, you'll either get twice the stone in both carats and quality for your money, or pay half as much as you would at a popular jewelry store, and about a factor of four from a mall store. Then just take the stone to a custom jewelry designer, the metal work is very reasonable compared to the price of the stone.

greenLED

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
what ever ya do dont lift ya left leg and fart and then say marry me .now perhaps ya could but i dont sugest it

:crackup: raggie!:crackup:

PSM, whatever moment you choose it'll be the right one; enjoy the beginning of a wonderful life together. Married life is wonderful; been here for 13 years now. Best luck!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
remember that the moment will remain with you for the rest of you life, so try to make as "romantic" as possible.

-David

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
A lot of very thoughtful suggestions here! I vote for popping the question at the end of dinner. She will have the memory of a romantic carriage ride fresh in her mind. If you do it before dinner she might be too excited to eat!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to wait till the rest of the southern CPF'ers show up :D Raggie isn't all that far away and I'm right in Savannah. We'll come down and meet you for dinner! That will be romantic :D Say honey, I know we were going to have a romantic evening, but I invited a few friends I've never really met before along :D Then we can stare at you and shine lights in her eyes to make sure she's truly dazzled :)

:laughing:

IM JUST kIDDING!

I'm with you, do it early in the evening so she can be showing off that ring to everybody you pass. We went out to dinner after I proposed and for some reason every waiter and bar tender noticed. It's not like she was flashing it around, but they must have noticed her looking at it or something :D so thats fun too.

There are lots of really great and expensive and romantic restaurants in town for quiet sit down dinners. And lots of fun places to go for less romantic dinners if you're going to be there longer than the one night :) river street is great fun.

I took these picts from the hotel across the river a couple of months ago and stitched them together, if you have quicktime installed check it out.

http://www.sentman.com/movies/savannah.mov

Though I dont plan on joining you for dinner, have a look to the south east from downtown and I'll shine something bright into the night sky to celebrate :nana: Congratulations :buddies:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a great fan of the "no plan" plan. Maybe pick the day ahead of time but not the precise moment.

IOWs considering several possible opportune moments is good but none are set as the plan. You'll know which one to pick because you are in those moments. Maybe it's a moment you didn't even plan for.

The "no plan" plan can be exciting.

You are both waiting for the cab outside the restaurant. A shooting star blazes across the sky.

She says, "Wow that was fantastic! Really beautiful."

You say, "It was beautiful and...I've been wanting to tell you something. That falling star was not as beautiful as you, or your heart, or your spirit. I'm in love with you and I think I always will be. I want you to marry me. *PSM drops to one knee, offers ring* Please be my wife."

Last edited:

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Icebreak. Do it when you feel right about it. Usually I get a sense of when to do things like that. All the planning you might do will come undone if something unforseen happens and you have "planned" it to the last detail. When you think the moment is right, go for it.
Good luck and congratulations.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Icebreak said:
You say, "It was beautiful and...I've been wanting to tell you something. That falling star was not as beautiful as you, or you heart, or your spirit. I'm in love you with and I think I always will be. I want you to marry me. *PSM drops to one knee, offers ring* Please be my wife."

...or, PSM, you could hire Icebreak to do it for you. One more vote for the "no plan" plan.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Wow, you guys are great. All SE CPFers come to savannah and shine me and my soon to be fiance!! :crackup: :lolsign:

I will walk around with my Costco HID pointing straight up so look for the light saber......

J/K

-PSM

BTW Great ideas guys.... :thanks: :goodjob:

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
You looked at rings seven months ago and are just getting around to proposing????
Shame shame shame!!! ;)

Congrats and good luck!